Masters Running

Thursdaily, 7.18.19 (Read 43 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Joe, that's some impressive racing in the heat!  Take it easy at your 8 hour race on Saturday, okay?

It was 100 degrees in Denver today - not that hot at my house, but in the 80s here.  I beat the heat by running up on the Continental Divide trail - we got up to 12,800 ft and were almost chilly with the wind!   Here's a picture of my friend Helen, who I'll be pacing at the Leadville 100 in a month.   Have I ever mentioned how lucky I am to live and run in Colorado?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

8  hours is a lot of time in the heat, Joe.  Good luck!

2.1 treadmill miles after work-  getting back in the routine.  Ready to just relax this evening and go to sleep early!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

A few years ago, I ran a 5k on my birthday, which turned out to be a super hot/humid/sunny morning. It wasn't 94, but probably low 80's, at 8am. I was pretty sure I had similar splits to yours below, so I had to go back and look (8:48, 9:36, 9:17, 8:25 for the 0.1). At the time I was definitely ok with that... and it turned out to be 4/54 in weird 10 year AG, so it shows how tough the heat can be.

Anne, that's quite a coincidence on our similar paces in hot 5Ks.   Impressive record keeping too.   They haven't posted AG results yet, so I'll check.   I know I beat one other 60+ guy who often beats me. 

Wild, I just love your mountain photos!!   Here in the flatlands, we can only dream of such trail runs. 

Thanks for the cautions all for Saturday's race.   Got the same from my DW.   I'll be walking a lot and that's all fine.   Mandatory 20 oz of fluids every 5K loop, plus a banana every loop, plus a salt tab every hour.   And pay attention to HR.   And wear a T shirt, not a singlet. 

Enjoy the evening, all!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, got up early enough to get in 6.4 miles at a pretty good pace overall.  Forced myself to run faster than I like in the heat/humidity of summer in the southeast.  Sun wasn't up and it was 79 and humid.  After work taught spin.

Hottest 5k's....did a couple of corporate cup 5k's, one in Buffalo (part of our Air Force unit team) and one in Atlanta (part of my company team) that were not only hot but we were wearing heavy cotton team shirts (my advice on wicking materials was ignored).  This may not count but I've also done several of the weekly, Friday morning 5k's during my deployment to Qatar.  We left in late June, it was getting toasty.  Night lows were about 100 deg F and that's when the humidity was at it's worst.  When it got above 120 the humidity didn't matter as much.

Wildchild, you may appreciate this, for that deployment we were part of a "rainbowed" unit.  One of the units was from Colorado Springs.  The brought a "Watch for falling icicles" sign....which was hung next to the thermometer.  I have a picture showing about 130 deg F next to that sign.

Joe, good luck this weekend!

Have a greta night everyone!

Quick post - can't even read the daily today sorry.....need to get to bed!!

5:30am Body Pump, new release was great!!

7:00pm Berna's Great Legs 5k with a 1 mile warm-up before the race. Had a great Sole Sister's turn out and our founder was the overall winner of the race -- pretty cool!!

Nite - Happy almost Friday!!

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dnaff - as a sentimental hoarder with a big garage, I still use a Brooks leather saddle from my first bike as an adult in 1968, a red Raleigh.

102o - with two daunting 4,000'+ foot ascents up two foothill mountains of Mt. Rainier in predicted 80o temps at the 2006 White River 50-mile Endurance Run coming up on the following last Saturday in July, there was no way I was going to run a marathon, or anything else, six days beforehand on the preceding Sunday, . . . until my friend Barefoot Todd was up from where he moved to in California and got me into the Gateway-to-the-Pacific Marathon on the preceding Sunday by assuring me it would be the hottest running experience I'd ever have.

He was right - 102o and, even though his Team-in-Training coaching emphasized heat exhaustion and he was constantly on me to be hydrating, hydrate, hydrate at every chance, it got to him about five miles from the finish and, though I was able to nurse him into a countable Marathon Maniac finish, by the time we got there, there was no one around and he had to spread out in the adjacent lake for more than an hour before recovering enough even to walk back to the car again.  He knew enough about it, I guess, that, over my objection, he refused to let me call 911 without his own chance to recover.

Still my weekly mlleage PR of 76.2 miles!

ps steve - I am sincerely sorry about everything

I said about batman being just for kids.

I have a picture showing about 130 deg F next to that sign.

180 degrees warmer than erika's fifty-below photo.

think I'd rather have frost on my face, though.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Three days in a row of walking on various surfaces, plus all the core and hip exercises, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well my butt is taking it.  It is irritated tonight, but a did a fairly steep descent and ascent to see Angel Falls this afternoon and then a 1 hr walk on decent but not even surface trying to find the river access (and no, I didn't. I went the wrong direction). Tomorrow will be a butt rest day, except for my required daily hip and glute exercises and, of course, more Goodwill shopping.

I don't know about The Hub since we haven't talked since he headed north on Monday, but I'm having a great vacation. Not very relaxing, but enjoyable.

OK - I gotta hit the hay. And it's hard to type on this iPad. Later ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I snuck in 5 @ 8:00 today

Plus another 10 hr day at the theater; opening tomorrow and it's not a total disaster! Only two snafus on the run-through tonight, and they weren't my area.

Joe, good luck with your 8hr!  I drank to thirst, but made sure to get a minimum 500ml every hour. I did 50/50 water and electrolyte (I forget what brand they were using).  And 200 calories per hour, mostly Gu but salty snacks and cookies/candy later. They had pizza and BBQ after the first 5-6 hours, but heavy food just wasn't very appetizing while trying to continue running. The last couple hours (12hr race) I drank straight electrolyte replacement fluid because I was starting to cramp up and that worked.

wildchild, I miss CO this time of year. Running up Mosquito Pass is one of my best memories of living in Park County.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

Yeah, don't know that I could deal with 130°. Years ago I was i Las Vegas in July (really) for a soccer tournament with our boys. Our little rental car's thermometer topped out at 104° but all the bank signs said up to 110°. Geez, that was miserable, even in the hotel pool! Can't imagine running a 5k in that, much less hours.

Carolyn's pictures are awesome, but remember there's no oxygen up there!

Ran 7.4 miles yesterday with some faster miles in the last half. Got rained on a bit but had a plastic bag for my cast. Today I went out mid-day and ran 5.3 easy miles in what felt like a hot and sweaty upper 60's (yeah, really).

SteveP

BioGuy - Good luck with the new principle.

Put me into the missing TwoCat corner.

Joe618 - Say "hello" to my uncle. Good Luck Saturday.

Thursday was supposed to be a rest day. The mutt was bugging to get out so we put two miles in.

SteveP