Masters Running

Roy's 12 wk program. Advice / comments welcome (Read 180 times)

The Jogger

I was given this schedule by my mate in work, I start it Sunday 2 ( when I get up) any comments greatly appreciated. For the hardish, I was thinking 75 - 80% WHR ? EDINBURGH MARATHON SCHEDULE WEEK 1 Sunday 10 miles just cover miles (jcm) Monday 3 miles easy Tuesday 2 miles easy - 2 miles hardish - 2 miles easy Wednesday 3 miles easy Thursday 3 miles easy Friday 8 miles Saturday 3 miles WEEK 2 Sunday 12 miles jcm Monday 3 miles easy Tuesday 2 miles easy 3 miles hardish - 2 miles easy Wednesday 3 miles easy Thursday 3 miles easy Friday 10 miles Saturday 3 WEEK 3 Sunday 14 miles jcm Monday 3 miles easy Tuesday 2 miles easy - 4 miles hardish - 2 miles easy Wednesday 3 miles easy Thursday 3 miles easy Friday 12 miles Saturday 3 miles easy WEEK 4 Sunday 16 miles jcm Monday 3 miles easy Tuesday 2 miles easy 5 miles hardish - 2 miles easy Wednesday 3 miles easy Thursday 3 miles easy Friday 13 miles Saturday 3 miles easy WEEK 5 Sunday 18 miles jcm Monday 3 miles easy Tuesday 2 miles easy - 6 miles hardish - 2 miles easy Wednesday 3 miles easy Thursday 3 miles easy Friday 3 miles easy Saturday 3 miles easyWEEK 6 Sunday 13 mile + race or 13 mile har run Monday 3 mile easy Tuesday 3 miles easy Wednesday 3 miles easy Thursday 3 miles easy Friday 3 miles easy Saturday 3 miles easy WEEK 7 Sunday 20 miles jcm Monday 3 miles easy Tuesday 2 miles easy - 8 miles hardish - 2 miles easy Wednesday 3 miles easy Thursday 3 miles easy Friday 13 miles Saturday 3 miles WEEK 8 Sunday 22 miles jcm Monday 3 miles easy Tuesday 2 miles easy - 10 miles hardish - 2 miles easy Wednesday 3 miles easy Thursday 3 miles easy Friday 15 miles Saturday 3 miles easy WEEK 9 Sunday 24 miles jcm Monday 3 miles easy Tuesday 2 miles easy - 12 miles hardish - 2 miles easy Wednesday 3 miles easy Thursday 3 miles easy Friday 15 miles Saturday 3 miles easy WEEK 10 Sunday 20 miles jcm Monday 3 miles easy Tuesday 2 miles easy - 13 miles hardish - 2 miles easy Wednesday 3 miles easy Thursday 3 miles easy Friday 13 miles Saturday 3 miles easy WEEK 11 Sunday 18 miles jcm Monday 3 miles easy Tuesday 2 miles easy - 13 miles hardish - 2 miles easy Wednesday 3 miles easy Thursday 3 miles easy Friday 13 miles Saturday 3 miles easy WEEK 12 Sunday 10 miles jcm Monday 3 miles easy Tuesday 3 miles easy Wednesday 3 miles easy Thursday 3 miles easy Friday 3 miles easy Saturday 3 miles easy Thanks Roy
    HermosaBoy

That mileage ramp-up is AWFUL quick! Why 24 miles??? I never go longer than 22 except in the actual race... Also, not sure about getting in two "quality" workouts within 2 days of each other (Sunday long run and then the Tuesday run). If I were to attempt that, I would probably switch Tuesday and Wednesday.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

TammyinGP

Hi Roy! Interesting program. I'm really not one to give advice (but as you can see, I'm going to! LOL ) , having never run a marathon and only in the midst of a training plan for my first one. But what I'm noticing that stands out to me, is why no rest days? Each week you are running about 4 relatively short and easy runs of 3 or 4 miles, but it almost seems like you'd be better served to make those 4 shorter easy run into 2 relatively easy runs, but a bit longer, like 5 miles each and then incorporate in 1-2 rest days per week. You also have two fairly long runs almost back to back, with those long runs for the week being on Friday on Sunday. I usually see training schedules giving you a rest day after you've done your longest run of the week. Do you currently run every day of the week and that is just what you are used to, so this schedule fits in well with the way you currently train? If so, then that's the beauty of various marathon training schedules - there are ones to fit all different kinds of runners. Personally, I think resting your legs and allowing them to properly heal after a long run is more important then getting in a short easy run the day after a long run. Not only for repair of the micro tears that occur, but also for injury prevention. that's my novice observation of this schedule.

Tammy

The Jogger

Good feedback so far and I will make a few changes, I was honestly thinking of having Monday as a rest day, so I will. 24 miles did seem long to me and 22 might do, yes some changes. Smile Night All & thanks Roy
            I would question three areas: one the 24 miler. Too much and too risky. A 22 is more than enough. Secondly, I would incoproate some cutback weeks. Like 2 weeks of longer mileage and LR's followed by one week of slightly easier mileage. Then repeat and build up again. Thirdly, running every day is great if you can do it. Most cannot. One rest day off after the LR would be advisable. Best thing to keep in mind with any plan: Get to the Starting Line Healthy. Best of Luck! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

I don't like this program at all Roy. You are fine with tomorrow's workout, but when you get a chance, please drop me a line. Spareribs