Masters Running

Saturday, May 1st.....MAY DAY.......Runs (Read 543 times)

Hey Folks -

Econo - Tell Woods Lady Big Congratulations!

Trent - Is the Flying Monkey course all pavement?

Tramps - I loved "Born to Run."  As someone who is constantly battling how to properly fuel myself during my ultras,  I'm very interested in the chia seeds and pinole.  I found this  1996 term paper about the Tarahumara.  Interesting.

Slo - Wish I'd had that song running through my head instead of the "Wrong Baby, Wrong" by Martina McBride.  It was the last song I heard before heading out this morning.

Dave - If I'm on the trails, I just listen to nature, like Erika, work things out that are bothering me . . . If I have to do a road LR, I listen to podcasts.

Speaking of trails - 10.30 loner miles this a.m.  Everything went really good until about Mile 9 when nausea hit me like a ton of bricks.  Ick.  Even though I know I need to get food in me at that point, it's hard to force it down.  *sigh*  Nutrition is the single most frustrating aspect of my running.  Oh well.  One of these days.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kimmie

Yes.  After running in 40 degrees here in DC the last few days, my 70+ degree run was quite a shock.  You should have joined us Smile

I saw Tom's pics on FB but that was before I realized you all went 21 miles... bit too far for me so soon after Boston.

But next time, for sure.  I'm assuming getting into the Monkey Marathon will be tricky with its popularity and all.... but I would love to run it, if I can get in.

Tramps

Tramps - I loved "Born to Run."  As someone who is constantly battling how to properly fuel myself during my ultras,  I'm very interested in the chia seeds and pinole.

How do you prepare it?  I found this, which looks interesting. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Tramps - That's the same site I found, too.  I haven't tried either the pinole or chia seeds.  I looked at both our local natural food stores, and neither carries the seeds.  I think I'd have to drink the concoction before it gelled.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, enjoy the circus!  We took DD several times when she was younger, and it was fun. It's one of those things you never do when you don't have small kids - like coloring with crayons, legos, playdoh, all the fun stuff. 

I've been reading Born to Run, too.  But I kinda got stuck after about 4-5 chapters and put it down for a week or so.  II guess I should get back to it.

Congrats to Erika, Woods Lady, and Paul for fast 5k races!

PDR, good luck at your race tomorrow, and I hope the weather man is wrong about that heat. Yikes!

It's kinda cold here today - high of 35°.  (I'll try to send some cold air to you guys on the east coast!) But I had to go to town for an eye doctor appointment, so I did my run down there where it was in the low 50's.  My longest run in ages - 8.5 miles, on a really pretty dirt single track trail by a creek. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The first and last 1/3 mile of Monkey is grass. The rest is on pavement.  Last year, Monkey filled in 9 hours, which should give y'all plenty of time.  It may fill more quickly this year, but should take at least an hour or three.
              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sort of busy for a Saturday.  Sounds like we're into the fast 5Ks at the moment.  Nice running all.  Especially Woods Lady with her AG win.

Ended a not very active running week (which cheated me out of getting to 50 miles for the month in a long time) with my Saturday pump class.  Another standin instructor, so I end up with different sore muscles.

Summer appears to have arrived in the northeast, too.  64º this morning at 9am after a long string of 40's. It hit 75º and may go to 85º tomorrow.   hope it's a little cooler tomorrow morning.  I need a little slower transition to warmer weather than a 20+ degree jump in one day.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

PDR, good luck on your race tomorrow. Is baby Nate still home with you?

What a great race day for Erika, Woods Lady and Paul. A great big butterfly hug to my woods fairy! Isn't she just awesome?

I think Flying Monkey would be so much fun. Unfortunately my travel budget is already spoken for for the next two years.

Cranium, I used to make my kids deliver May day basket too. What a great tradition that is slowly fading away.

I took my new hair cut for a run this afternoon. Up the hill to the old orchard I went and my reward was a handful of wild asparagus. Yumm...I am sure glad that I am a care-free person, because it was fun to see the look of the people driving by me when they saw me run with asparagus in my hand.

I got to read Born to run.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I took my new hair cut for a run this afternoon.

. . . fun to see the look of the people when they saw me run with asparagus in my hand.

Nice run nancy and all our racing compatriots.

However, I kind of doubt they were looking at aspargus.

Maybe post a picture. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)