Masters Running

Boomers Boxing Day Runs (Read 898 times)

Mariposai

I am one of those poor souls who have to work today and the rest of the week. Erika...what a bummer to be sick during your vacation (you could have used sick leave for that and save yoru vacation time to travel to marathons). Get better soon sistahh. Don't overdue with the cleanning project. PDR- you are my all time inspiration. Waking up at 3:30 to go for a run!!!amazing, amazing. I was just winning to dear friend today that I have not been consistent with my running because I am working 10 hour days. Dead Holly, of course you are going to stich 'em up and use them with pride and joy. They are your badge of honor. I would love to do a destination run a-la henrun, but the TM will be for me tonight. For now, I am taking my lunch break to do some much needed weights and abs. Spareribs, sweetheart, I am glad to see you were able to run today. I hope the PF feels OK tonight. Sending you tons of hugs from here. Dark Horse, how is the Cicero reading coming along? I am reading Seneca now, but the following is one of my favorite quotes from Cicero: Trahimur omnes laudis studio

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

spacityrunner

I realize that runningindc is now my coach, since I am on the DL with PF. Her case is way worse than mine, but she has been very helpful, as has Perchcreek who really had it bad two years ago. Today I did a 1.1 mile walk on the dirt track, then opened it up for a mile or so at tempo pace just because I am so sick and tired of not running. Felt wonderful, but I will know tonight if it was unwise. Spareribs
      The world is not right if Mr. Ribs sees me as his coach.... Mr Ribs..there were many times I would run just because I was sick and tired of not running. I would always set myself back by doing this...but I would do it anyway. I get it, I know why you did it. I am going on month 8 now.....and just beginning to run again. Good news is that the MRI shows no degeneration and everything looks "normal". Doc couldn't say why after the MRI I am finally able to run...he joked it's the magnetic field. Whatever it was, I am so very happy to be pain free. Even after walking for almost 2 hours last night while I joined the gazillion people out viewing the White House Christmas tree. The bump on the tendon has reduced in size and doesn't show up on the MRI and Doc said that was good. I am pleased and so was the Doc. So, went swimming today, will try and run tomorrow and see how it feels. Good to see you all here.

Trails Rock!

Hi all. What a stunning day!! Hi Berengerr. It sure is fun having Dank Haus shouting at us all like we're in the army or something. Hi PDR!! Hi Sally!! Etc. 9 glorious miles at my ease in the sunshine turning over some of the great literature I've had a chance to read this Christmas. Just finished The Moon and Sixpence and am beginning Bradbury's Farewell Summer, the sequel to one of my all time favourites, Dandelion Wine.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Okay - I went to my doctor - my doctor who is also a runner . . . . he said I can still run . . . so then I admitted to running this morning. Not bronchitis at this stage, so he said to keep it up and get those 10 miles in for my 1,000. Smile Now to go plug in my 305 and read the directions. Might even take a nap too. OH, and I am so HAPPY to say that I imported my running log and it looks GRETA!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I hope everyone is having a great Holiday! Tory and I had a nice cold one first thing in the morning.... That is 8 miles in 38F rain and wind! Tory was thrilled! Thanks JJJ for posting in CR where this place is! Hope everyone has a good one! Steve ETA: My Garmin had some fog inside after that run.. grrr. It cleared up. Hope it styes ok.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Yucky day in Southern Oklahoma...low 30's...rain and sleet....so I went to the dreaded treadmill for 8 miles...about 8:30 pace..... I see more and more of the ole' Boomer crowd... Tim, Ardmore, OK.
              Mariposai

SteveP--I am so glad to read in the daily post yesterday that your Mom was able to visit with you guys for a bit. I am praying that she will be able to see her grandaughter before she goes to meet our maker. Hugs to the whole family.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I've always had a hard time "seeing" the bat on the batman symbol. Confused Instead, I see some really ugly looking mouth. Just curious--anyone else have this same figure-ground problem?? edited for: you have to go back to Steve's post to see his avatar, which is a batman symbol.
                  "Holy molars Batman I'm glad I take my dental hygeine seriously" Clowning around Running 22 miles on Christmas Surprised Running 3:30 AM Sleepy You guys are CRAZY Smile I love this place!!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

3 miles tm today 1 mile of repeats uphill finishing 8 percent at 7 mph, good to see you'all here.
                      Welcome to the Master's area, Ray!
                      Thank you! I fit better with you people than with the young speedsters. Big grin

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Went for a 3.5 mile run at 8 am. 16 degrees and sunny. Beautiful! I used my new Garmin 305 - how cool!!! I discovered that I'd been going a little too far for 3.5 miles, so the device has already paid for itself. Cool This length of run felt very easy again. I'm finally beginning to feel like a runner, lol!
                          Happy Boxing Day Folks! I had an awesome run on the TM (not sure I should use awesome and TM in the same sentence, but whatever! At least it wasn't 3:30 AM!). 10 miles total. 2 mile w/u @ 10:32 5 miles @ 8:57 pace 1 mile @ 8:34 pace 2 mile c/d @ 10:32 So I guess that makes 6 miles at tomato-face tempo pace. It was great to rid myself of that crud feeling from eating too much chocolate and wine the past two days. Cleaned out the toxins I did. Anyone else find it hard to find just the right smilie for your post? Kind of like buying greeting cards? Or is it just the RA smilies that are "off" Undecided

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Welcome back from the wilderness, Breger. Passing a cup of tea with honey and sympathy to all masters runners with colds. What a crummy time to get sick. Right, as if there were a good time. But worse at the holidays and/or when you're on vacation anyway. No running for me today. I slept in until 8:15 - on a school day I would have already driven 20 miles, done some paperwork and directed a rehearsal by then. Lazed around most of the morning then did the traditional Boxing Day trip to Talbots to stock up on sale clothes. Yet anther sign that I'm really a runner - I'd rather buy running clothes than work or dress clothes! Didn't buy a single thing at Talbots for the first Boxing Day in 4 years. Turning in early tonight so that I can head out to school tomorrow to do some planning - only chance I'll have of enjoying New Years weekend and not having a meltdown next Tuesday evening - and run my scheduled 5 in the afternoon. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

PJH

I posted this on the CR 50+ thread, but thought I'd post here as well. Not sure what's happening to RRs these days, but assuming that this will suffice for now until things get sorted out. Hope I don't get fined! I participated in the 87th running of the Hamilton Boxing Day 10-miler this morning. This race draws quite a lot of good runners from the area. 10 of the runners today finished in less than an hour. The winner posted a 52+ min finishing time. Final numbers haven't been posted yet, but about 800 -1000 participate in this race each year. Racing conditions were just great. I managed a 1:24:29 which was a PR of 4:51 for this race (3rd running). I averaged about 8:24 for the run (my current MP is 8:35) so I was quite happy with the result given that I've done no "fast" running to speak of since my Sept marathon. All of my mileage has been at easy pace of approx 9:45 - 10:00. Splits were 8:25, 8:13, 8:16, 8:20, 8:14, 8:28, 8:19, 8:58, 8:06, 7:52. There was a significant hill in mile 8. The trail at the top of that hill was snow covered as well which made footing very difficult throughout that mile. Had enough for a bit of a kick at the end. Overall, very pleased with how this went. I'm glad to see that I've maintained some of my conditioning from earlier in the year and that the base-building so far is paying off. Great running everyone! PJ
                              bap

I realize that runningindc is now my coach, since I am on the DL with PF. Her case is way worse than mine, but she has been very helpful, as has Perchcreek who really had it bad two years ago. Today I did a 1.1 mile walk on the dirt track, then opened it up for a mile or so at tempo pace just because I am so sick and tired of not running. Felt wonderful, but I will know tonight if it was unwise. Spareribs
                                Ribs, have you thought about shockwave therapy for pf? Please try it then tell me if it works before I waste my money Wink It is supposed to work like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNZAgiKZ8ak&feature=related

Certified Running Coach
                                Crocked since 2013