Masters Running

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

It happened again yesterday - I wrote a fairly long post and then, when I hit the 'Post' button, RA took me to the Masters home page, and everything I wrote was lost. So from now on, I'm going to copy each write-up before I post it so if it goes away again, I should just be able to paste and try again.

I'd rather be bored at the gate on a plane with a boo-boo than terrified in the air.

Aamos, thanks for acknowledging Erin Talcott's accomplishment at the racewalking World Games. She's been trying for years to get international athletic bodies to create a women's 50K - the only distance at which there is a men's race, but not one for women at that level of competition. This year, she got permission to participate in the men's 50K Olympic Trials (with the understanding that, regardless of her time, she'd not be going to the Olympics as part of the men's 50K team). She finished 6th, and her time beat the qualifying standard for the World Games 50K. So the IAAF agreed the make the World Cup 50K non-gender specific, and invited Erin to compete. Quite an accomplishment! Erin and husband Dave (also a racewalker) have competed in the walking division of our Seacoast Half for a few years, and the only question is which of them will win. In recent years, their times have been in the 1:50 range. Erin also leads a racewalking clinic for us on the day before the Half.

So, Tammy, David is adding reflexology to his ever-growing resume? Very impressive. How'd he do at Districts?

LaT, congrats on the great job of RDing, and on getting in a run with Marj along the Charles!

Sorry about the return of the knee pain, Henry. I hope it is short-term.

Good GS  hanging out and bear spotting, Tet.

So, at the half last Saturday, a guy running along side of me for a few minutes asked if I ever just felt like breaking into a run. "Not really." I asked him if he ever felt like just breaking into a walk. "HECK YEAH!" Later, a woman running past me said, "Don't take this the wrong way, but you have nice calves." How do I take that the wrong way?

Yesterday, I had a fascinating meeting with a guy (a pilot by day) to talk about using a drone, a Go-Pro, and some still photography to create a video for our Seacoast Half. I didn't realize how much regulation there is and how many approvals are required for the kind of work we are asking him to do. But his price seemed very fair, so now I have to take it to the race committee to see if/how everyone wants to proceed.

6.1 fairly quick RW miles this morning at the usual time in 45F temps and under clear and brightening skies. Felt good to get back out on the roads after a couple of days off.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jeez--what happened to the 4 days between yesterday and today?

Beginning to worry that I chased Jay away from the recap.  Which is hard work and he does MUCH better than me.  I will admit that I have not noticed Jay's calfs in the past, but I certainly would not be offended if complimented.  Fat chance.

2 TM miles this morning.  Enough to work up a good sweat and still make it to the plant at a reasonable hour.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Jay, David is the only male on the team to advance to semi-finals today. It's the consolation bracket however but still he made it to semi's so he's pretty excited about that. He lost his first match yesterday, which is what put him in the consolation bracket, but then he won his two matches there, so advanced today. He'll have one match this morning which will determine if he advances to finals. He has played the guy he's playing in this morning before and he's very good. David just narrowly beat him a few weeks back but it was a LONG match. I'm glad he's playing early this morning while it's still cool. we should hit mid 80's today. Tomorrow starts the 2 days girls Districts and we should be in the 90's. I feel sorry for them having to play in such heat. and tennis courts never have any shade.

Long day for me. working this morning. Conducting a CLE during the noon hour, then driving back to my other office to work the 2nd half of the day and then my monthly board meeting this evening.

ETA: david lost in the semi's.

Tammy

an amazing likeness

HI folks.  I don't normally post in the daily topics, because if I did it would be super, super boring. But I did want to jump in and say that I've brought the issue of long forum message posts 'timing out' up as a topic for RunningAhead head honcho Eric to investigate.

There were some recent changes made to how the site uses SSL (web security), and while we didn't see any similar problems in beta testing, Jay started noting his issues immediately after the SSL changes.

In the meantime be cautious about writing too long (time-wise, not word count) before hitting post, then modify your message to add more content.  Or, compose in the word processing app of your choice and paste into RA.

And, by the way -- I didn't get to the beer tickets Jay gave me, it turned cold quickly without sun. Perfect running weather, not so much for the post-race beers.

Follow up -- RunningAhead Eric reports the code bug causing a message which takes a long time (30+ min elapsed, and also requiring a specific browser cookie setup) to compose to not post has been found and fixed.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Marathon Maniac #957

Just a fly by to report 6 miles on the TM this morning.

My addiction to Kroger's toasted Jalapeno Cheese Bread with Sharp Cheddar Cheese Sandwiches continues.  I am barely eating anything else.  I suspect I am missing a food group or two.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

I suspect I am missing a food group or two.

Try ice cream.

4.5 miles.

Dad got to two stores today. He did much better than expected. He is looking good today.

SteveP

I had a committee meeting today. Central campus. Shudder! Normally I would be prepared for several hours of hearing people who mostly like to hear themselves talk. But, but today, yes today, just 20 minutes! After which we all hit the expected rubber stamp (meaning a whole pile of people can now officially get their masters and PhD degrees) and adjourned!  To celebrate I figured I would get some code working and then go run. Well, the code is working but too late to go run. So run tomorrow morning it is. I tell you that meeting has made my whole week!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

,,,just lost my post too

1-glad to see Jay has become Eye Candy

2-sorry stumpy had a Nerve Wracking Experience

3-Claire had three events,

one was a 50-yard dash involving throwing a Swimming Noodle which she fell over and got an Owie

AND

4-one of her friends invited her to join the Track team

had to detour 50-miles on drive back, with Winding roads since I-40 has one hour waits in both directions

so

5-Nap Time for GranDaddy

..........................Good Running Guys........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Too lazy to write into Word and post - hope the internet gods are good to me

Please know that I did not RD - I got a sponsor, some donations for the raffle, and found two table at the VFW post for the beer station -a very important job, but NOT RD. That may change in the future, but I am still trying to present my intent.

No run today - I never run on a Tuesday ...

{{{{{ to Henry's knee and any other over-achiever's body parts }}}}}

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

wow, exciting stuff going on at the Seacoast half......really going to come up and do that.  So cool about Erin doing a clinic!

I do what you do, Holly, getting stuck on something.  Lately I've been making a simple pasta dish, which has replaced grilled cheese sammiches.

Warm (I think it was 86 at 6:06 pm, as per my radio) but low humidity so I got in a nice run this am and then picked up the pace with Speedsters tonight.

that mtg. should go into Ripley's, twocat.

I need to go play with mine (the two cats) before bed.  We might do some dancing on the patio with the laser show and all.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Jay, that's a cool story about Erin and the race walking strides that have been made lately.  Holly, the bread sounds interesting. We eat the same old stuff around here it seems, but if I don't have to cook I don't complain (even about the fish last night).  We enjoy our fill of fresh home grown asparagus this time of year thanks to my BIL and SIL on the farm. We can pick it all but the rule is to leave half of in the refrigerator for them.

I ran intervals tonight, 8x 400 with 2:00 rest plus WU and CD.  I am such a novice to these and it was the first time doing them outside. I was happy with the pace but didn't have a goal other than less than 11:00 pace. It felt good to see even sub 10:00 pace at times.  Now I have one long run to do before Green Bay than I should be ready for a slow half. Wish I could run Jlynne's pace but that would tucker me out in a hurry.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

Sleepless posie is reporting. I finally ran 7 smile miles today after 5 days of no running because life interfered with my running plans...read on...

After our whirlwind trip to Tucson, AZ, to Portland, To Seattle, to Spokane, and then 4 hours drive to Omak on a 4 day weekend have the Easy Pacer and I tired of traveling and no time to run in the last couple of days. The trip was to show our love and cherish those whom we love...so no running is really not important.

Well... I am home for a day, then back on the road again tomorrow. I am giving up to running another marathon until Portland. My family life and work schedule is just insane...time to focus, re-define my reason for running and move on.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Mariposai, I can fully understand. The trip you just took was a good one, and the best reason for skipping some runs. There will be other days to run.

I'm leaving tonight for a client summit in San Diego. This is where all our wellness vendor's clients get together and critique their services and give suggestions/recommendations for future improvements/changes. The good news in my flight schedules are so awful I get in early enough to get a run in before the meetings and events kick off. If you consider leaving at 1:15 a.m. and getting in to San Diego at 11:40 a.m. "good news." The 3 hour layover in Seattle is the biggest bummer, but I'll get over it. I hope to get a nap and a run in before the evening opening session, then a run each morning after till I come home Friday night. Good thing I'm in taper mode, and it doesn't matter how far I run any particular day.