Masters Running

Shopping (????) Saturday 12/5 (Read 25 times)

Rise and shine good people! Only 20 more days until Christmas! Hey Mike - did you get the trees decorated, outside lights hung, laundry neatly folded and the house cleaned for Debbie's arrival today?

Your Advent calendars are beautiful Starr - I hope the kids appreciated all of your hard work.

I kind of like running in the dark without lights. That way no one can see my poor form or how slowly I'm running!

Feel better Deez.

Speaking of truck horns beeping out Christmas songs, our neighbor across the street has an inflatable Santa sled and blinking lights on their house and in the trees that are timed to various Christmas tunes. Because I'm still having wicked hot flashes at night, I sometimes like to crack the window to let some "cool' air in the bedroom. These people let their display go ALL NIGHT!!! I'm ready to go over there with a wire cutters and clip that #$### cord running to the house. Jingle Bells at 3:00 AM in the morning is not fun!

I had my last Christmas show last night. Now time to clean the house that hasn't been touched in the last two months. I came up with a Grinch design for my wine glasses and painted about 30 of them. Sold every one.   The weather continues to be unbelievably mild here. 6 miles at 5:30 this morning in 34° temps. Somehow I keep thinking we're going to pay for this weather in a few months......

Have a great Saturday everyone!

...mornin' jylnne//.......you might as well put SNOW in the daily title>>>>>>Shopping .....Ugh

========

but I digress......

40-min PoolRun, cf, nb, with running in the shallows (hence abbreviated as ''RIS'')

.............good running guys.........off to Christmas Choir practice

.................ps............naw mikeE, you still have PLENTY of time.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

I was up at 5:00am to do another pesky software install.  It took about 4 hours to complete. I am still watching the system to make sure I didn't break anything, but I felt comfortable enough to go over to the park and run a couple miles (2.07 to be exact.)  I took my phone along with me in case I had a call, but that allowed me to take a couple pictures from up on the ridge where I ran today.

Barboursville Park isn't that big but there are some hidden gems of running routes as long as you are ok with shorter runs (or repeating loops.)  The River Trail is 3.5 miles long (and starts 200 yards from my condo).  The road in the park is only 1.5 miles and they seem to hold a lot of 5k's on it.  Lake William is a pond with a gravel 0.65 mile loop and its always nice to throw in a loop or two when you come by it.  Up on the ridge where I was today it goes about a mile to some Boy Scout walking trails.  They are all pretty short but you can loop around multiple times if needed.

There is one trail that I still haven't tried yet but I'll check it out eventually. 

You want to do hills, you got them everywhere. If you want mostly flat, stick to the road or the River Tail.

Marathon Maniac #957

Starr - I meant to tell you how lovely your Advent calendars are - you are very talented!

Jlynne - that would annoy me as well.  We have our lights timed to go off at 11pm, but even lights all night wouldn't be as bothersome as non-stop Christmas music.

TomWhite - nice pool-running.

Dave - I think that sounds like a lovely place to run, awesome that it is so close, and you can add different loops together to make the distance you want to run that day.

6.25 miles for me today, followed by P90X Chest, Shoulders and Triceps.

Tonight we are heading to Clifton Mill  to see their Christmas light display.  It's just about 45 minutes away, but we've never gone to see it.  3.5 million lights, apparently.  I wonder if you can see it from space?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

back to the pouring down rains again but, for the first time in the five weeks since Halloween, no local marathons in which to get miserable in so might as well go shopping for grandkid books instead of waiting until the last minute.

dave's post's got me thinking about foregoing an annual marathon on gravel roads and bike paths along big highways on 12/19 for a 10K trail run in the hilly innards of Seward Park whose 5K perimeter I've been running around for the last 20 years in various local races, including last week's Seattle Marathon, but into which I have never ventured. Not sure how they'll get 10K out of it but sounds like fun as supposedly lots of fallen trees and erratics along the way on the "unmaintained narrow trails left in natural states."  we'll see.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Starr - Beautiful advent calendars!  And without a single drink - yea!!   The fact that you were able to make them without a pattern to go by - except what your mom did for you - is an incredible talent.

Headlamps - or as they say in Europe, torches - I wear one every morning on my runs.  I think what helps to keep it comfortable is I always wear a running hat, so even though the strap is around my head, the lamp part sort of sits on the bill.  I need to get a back up and a small, light weight handheld for the 24 hr race I signed up for in July - and which come hell or high water I AM going to run this year.

Mike - Wishing you luck, bud, on the return of Debbie and not done list of chores.

JLynne - Maybe satisfaction in knowing that their electrical bill is going to be sky high?  I do think it's very un-neighborly to have something like that going at all hours of the night.  And speaking of hot flashes - my noggin' has been having really bad ones the last few nights.  I'm convinced they get worse depending on my diet.

6 miles this a.m. with Mile 3 a tempo mile, I guess you'd call it.  Actually held it around 9:11 and it felt pretty darn good.  I'm working on trying to improve my running form, and I really have to concentrate, especially when running faster.  But amazingly enough (said very sarcastically), it's easier to run faster when your form is good.  Imagine that!

The party last night - I had a great time, and I think The Hub had an okay time.  We did white elephant gift exchange - the kind where you can steal gifts.  Last year his name was pulled first to pick a gift . . . and alas, just like last year, his was pulled first again and he ended up with a crappy gift. And not a crappy gift in a "hahaha, that's hilarious" kind of way, but more of a "why would you bring that?" kind of way.  We've already decided if we get invited back next year, we're regifting.  I and the host did some sneaky swapping behind everyone's back during the exchange and I ended up with 4 James Patterson books.

Probably the most hilarious gift brought was a big ole velvet painting of John Wayne, and a horrible likeness at that.  The host opened that one and I thought everyone was going to wet their pants, we were all laughing so hard.  And even funnier, someone stole it from him!  I love white elephant parties. 

Next weekend, The Hub gets to push himself again at my office Christmas party.  He's probably going to need like two months of recovery time after that. 

Okay - I finally have some more transcription, so I'm outta here to get that done.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend ~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Leslie, your DH sounds like my DH. Every time we have a social engagement it takes him months to recover from it.

We are having such a good time with our son David, who returned last night from Macedonia.

Right now,we are back to the airport to pick up our,other daughter from the airport.  Great time for my posie wings.

The Easy Pacer and I ran 6 miles in the Seattle rain today. I was hoping for a 16 miles,  but I forgot my headlamps at home.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

Next weekend, The Hub gets to push himself again at my office Christmas party.  He's probably going to need like two months of rsecovery time after that. 

I know that feeling. Cindy has two weeks of work left and she is going up to Michigan this upcoming week. Monday is her retirement party and I'm overjoyed I can't be there.

mari, I'm sure it's great having your son back home.  deez, I hope you can shake your cough quickly.  Mike, I hope you've been able to do enough to have a pleasant homecoming for your wife.  Dave, it's good to hear from you.

This morning, I did a local 5K race (Dave, it's the first of the Reese Winter Series and the normal crew was there).  My GPS gave me a time of 31:42, distance of 3.09 miles, and a pace of 10:15.  That got me 50/63 OA and 2/3 in my AG (70-74).  A mile before the race and 1.9 after gave me 6 miles for the day.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Before I forget, Deez, do you know a triathlete, Trish Kelly?  I have a running chum/nurse friend here who is from Medford, Kathleen Kelly Oliveto and we were chatting today.  I of course was all bragging on you, so I think she felt she needed to throw out a name.

Well I had two chums in the top 10 individual fundraisers for the Safe Passage Hot Chocolate 5K Run in Northampton MA.  One I hired many years ago and the other, who bested her, is our own CNYRunner.  Can't wait to see her racing results!

Mine were not so stellar.  46:42 at the 37th Annual River Run.  And no, we did not run by the river; we ran two different bridges that SPAN the river.  Among the old ladies, I did ok.

Leslie, too cold is that comfort for me (elec. bill)   I'd be getting me a big ol' fat needle.....ok, first, I write 'em a righteous cease and desist letter....with a time warning.  Go for it Jlynne.  If you get caught, I'll be there in May--have them postpone the trial til then and we'll pro hoc vice me in.  Going w/ the necessity defense.

henrun and marj--going to see "Me & Earl & the Dying Girl" tonight.

Check out the front page of the NY Times today.....

Sox Training tickets on sale today here!  So good3!  The price is right.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Psst...just checking in to let you know I survived Debbie's return.  I took her to dinner and made sure she had a drink before I brought her home.  We've set up and decorated one tree and are working on the second.  I told her I needed a break to ice my foot...which I'm doing now.  My attempt at a 16 miler did not go well today...I'd tell you about it but...she's becoming suspicious that I'm doing something enjoyable...so back to work.  See ya!

Mariposai

MikeE, you should have told us about your foot business before she cane.

Great job about taking her out to dinner.

BTW,  how many trees do you decorate????

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Psst...just checking in to let you know I survived Debbie's return.  I took her to dinner and made sure she had a drink before I brought her home.  We've set up and decorated one tree and are working on the second.  I told her I needed a break to ice my foot...which I'm doing now.  My attempt at a 16 miler did not go well today...I'd tell you about it but...she's becoming suspicious that I'm doing something enjoyable...so back to work.  See ya!

TomS - nice racing!

Here's a couple shots from Clfton Mill last night...Every 20 minutes there was a synchronized musical light show that was really something, but I didn't get a picture of that, so I am just showing a link from one posted on youtube.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."