Masters Running

Sunday May 16 Recovering and Running (Read 691 times)

Hey Tet, Tom White? Are you two in a competition to see who makes the LEAST sense?

....ok, FINALLY something I can win at.................

hopefully

First Prize is Fudge.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

actually tom,  with all the tapering you've been doing recently, it's getting scary how much we're starting to understand each other more, instead of having to use up our remaining brain cells on all that complicated trainingt that plagues most everyone else.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

....sorry, I have no Idea what you're talking about...........

Big grin

ps to walt//........here's the short version

of why I'm carrying a cane when I run.....

http://community.active.com/thread/85619/running-with-arthritis/0/0

wildchild

Carolyn

tomwhite, glad you had a good long run!  And good to see you posting! And posting multiple times in one day - is that to make up for  being absent so long?
          Kevin, so glad to hear you had a good long run too!  I loved your comment about "death march mode" and I know just what you mean.
          Karin, I'm so jealous of all the RA/KR folks you get to run with!  Although I couldn't keep up with any of you.  Glad to hear Walt pushed the pace.
          (((Lamerunner's DS))) That sounded scary!
          Aamos, since you were the oldest lady running the marathon, I assume you won your AG?  Congrats! Did they also have a shorter distance that Dan ran?

Francesca, you're amazing.  I wouldn't call 49.5 miles a 'little run."  Funny how many folks here guessed what you were up to!

I went out for 10 miles,  Garmin-less because I didn't care (or want to know) how slow I was going, around my hilly (mountainous) neighborhood.  I took the dogs for the first 7 miles, but they were tired and wanted to lie down in the snow, so I dropped them at home and went back out for another lap.  It's my first double-digit run since last December, and my first 30 mile week since November!  Yay!   It was kind of a mud fest with all the melting snow, but IRC at about 47°.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Kimmie

oh, Holly I'm wondering if your cake is done and if I can come over for some of that wine!  Smile

This weekend was an interesting one for running....  my body feels a little beat up-  not sure why-  I haven't run much since Boston.  Who knows?

Saturday morning, I ran with a new client, who's 17 and looking to get in shape for basketball season.  

This morning, I ran my first 5K in a long time.  I messed up with my eating Saturday niight, though, and paid for it out there.  i was laughing to myself at how tough it felt to finish 3.1 miles when I just ran 26.2, fairly strong.   I ended up with a 24:30.   And my reaction is, I kind of want to try again soon, and I kind of want to be done with the shorter distances.

Oh well.... life is good, in spite of sub-par races.  Smile

evanflein

15.2 miles, 8:09 avg pace on a beautiful sunny day, temps just right at around 60. Now I've got to get cleaned up and do some errands, Sunday will be over before I know it.

Nice attitude, Holly. Life's too short, right?

8 miles=72 laps on the indoor track. Ran intentionally easy at about 10:50 pace. Good runseverybody.

Erika, you have more Sunday left than anyone else here Smile Im thinking I need to get to bed..

Erika, your pace and distance was pretty close to WRFB.  Maybe you need a virtual contest next time.

Can I just insert Wildchild's post here, she said everything I wanted to, pretty much.  Nice 10 mile run there.  I am also at 30 miles per week but have only done one 9 mile run so far.

Lamerunner - that was so scary to hear about your {{{son}}}.

TomWhite - nice!

Stumpy that is great about your perceived effort coming down and pace going down.  I seem to be experiencing the same thing (fingers crossed).  The last three weekends in a row my 4 mile loop on the horse trails has been faster, at the same effort level, which I would call just slightly harder than easy but not tempo.  Next week I will probably try tempo effort on it to see how much I can bring the time down.

So 8 miles.

Took a short nap, guilt free.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

lamerunner

Hello. Pretty day here in NH. DS slept in a bit but seems fine. He went to Musuem of Science in Boston  with a friend then played tennis with us and another friend late this afternoon.  I still keep wanting to touch him... I guess he has a good  story for tomorrow.  DD climbed at Rumney and had a good day.  Now dealing with homework.

My legs got trashed today.  I ran about 10 on the Massabesic rail trail then got talked into biking with DH. We stopped to visit a friend en route but did at least 30 hilly miles. We did not ride hard, but I bike only infrequently and bike like a runner... then we played tennis with DS and one of his friends. Clay courts and we tried to make the boys run mostly, but I am a bit creaky.... I think tomorrow will be a swim day.

Good   long runs to CNY and others. I should lengthen out the weekend runs...

Maniac 505

Tom,  so good to see you posting here.  I read through the acitve thread you linked to.  I really hope you can get rid of the cane...

rest day after yesterdays ugly 20,  so I went Scuba diving.  we saw a Grunt Sculpin, 

grunt Sculpin

A giant lemon peal Nudibranch,  maybe 8 inches long

http://www.tsandm.com/pugetsound/id53.htm

And a giant pacific octopus

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/upload/2006/06/octopus_and_diver.jpg

None of these are "rare: finds, but we don't see them every day either   seeing any of the above on a dive is cool,  seein all of them makes it a reallyt nice dive.

and I am eager to see Mariposi's race report.

Dave

Tetsujin, are you really coming to Newport?  Awesomeness!

3 weeks to go and I'm not sick.  Woot!  See ya -- Ma Econo will also be there (watch out, Newport).

ETA:  I peeked at the maniacs website and found the whole list of luminaries going to Newport.  HOORAY and see you soon!

Maniac 505

Econo:

Thanks for stopping by.

I don't get over to kick often  enough.

I'm really looking forward to seeing you and Ma Econo, and many others.

I have booked 5 days, 4 nights at little creek,  i'm looking forward to a mini vacation on the Oregon coast; (with a little jog in the middle of the vacation

Dave

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks econo.

no particular reason but does mama-san like oysters?[

dave - no particular reason but did you see any oysters.

ps - you're still too young to know but in a couple years you'll 

get to find out that there is no such thing as a  20 being ugly no matter what.. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...tet//......you're killing me here,

I'll have to drop by more often......

of course,

I probably need to be able to run to do that.