Masters Running

Sunday March 21st Daily (Read 466 times)

Great racing to PDR, WRFB, Kimmi, deez, Tramps yesterday, nono with issues and undertrained and SLO with an AG win fighting the wind.  Hope I didn't forget anyone.

PDR, at least you can say you were a year older this year and only one second slower.  Pretty good metrics.

I hit the gnarly mountain trails and almost immediately needed to find a potty (TMI).  I did a 400 ft climb and was stopped on the trail eyeing a big cedar stump that might do for hiding behind when another runner came by (I hadn't seen anyone in 30 minutes!)  So I gave up and continued on uncomfortably until I remembered that there was a parking lot not too far away with a port a potty.  Salvation.  Rest of run went great except I really wanted to do 8 miles but my toes were screaming in pain from slamming into the front of my trail shoes on the downhill sections.  So I cut the run to 5.65 miles.  I really need to find some trail shoes that are easy on my toes.  Any suggestions?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Slo, I'm glad to hear your daughter is improving.  Tramps, nice marathon.  It's neat that kimmie, PDR, and WRFB got to do a half together.  mariposai, it's great your son is training for a marathon in Poland.  enke, I'm glad to hear you're mostly recovered from your ear problem.  I hope the progress continues.  deez, nice 5K.  dg, good luck on your surgery tomorrow.  nono, good job on your marathon in spite of not feeling right.  Slo, way to go on your AG award in your race.

Nice long runs for breger, perch, holly (a couple), EGH, sue, evan, Tammy, bike (a couple and a big weekend), and dg.

Today, I did an 8K race.  I've had a couple of hamstring twinges the last few weeks and decided to treat the race more like a training run.  I did a half mile warmup at a 9:47 pace.  For the race, I figured that if I could run a 9:30 pace I'd be happy and, if things got bothersome, I'd really slow down or even walk.  I only looked at my time at the one mile mark where I was at 9:21.  I decided to continue about that pace and see how it felt.  I didn't experience any twinges and finished in 46:01 for a 9:16 pace.  My miles were 9:21, 9:20,9:20, 9:17, and a pace of 8:56 for the last .96 miles.  I ended up 432/605 OA and 5/5 in my AG (65-69).  The top 2 old goats in my AG finished with paces of 7:35 and 7:37.  The next 2 came in at about 8:30.  A real plus was the weather.  There were predictions for rain and snow, neither of which happened.  The temp was probably in the high 30s and there was just a light wind.

A good day and good runs for all.

dg.

wanted to say a quick congratulations to everybody!    I'm running around trying to get things ready ahead for next week since I'm not quite sure what to expect.  

Nono I was thinking about you today.  Looking forward to your report.   With all that you were dealing with, I think you did a great job!

George, that's wonderful.

thanks Holly!

oh, & Slo, Smile.   (one of those, 'you know you're a runner when?... )     I'm so glad your DD is feeling better.

Sue, we'll talk about that tomorrow.  :-)

mta, hey Tom, we're synchronized.   You did great today!   I'm so glad it went well & that there weren't any twinges.  those are some fast old goats!   & thanks. 

Hey enke of the gnarly hills! I wear Teva trail shoes that treat my toes well. Try those maybe?

Great job this weekend for so many even facing obstacles of all kinds.  

I had a NYC weekend run with Dr. J. She's determined to go under 1:44 for a half marathon before she turns 50 in a few months to qualify for the NYC marathon with a guaranteed time entry. She can age-in next year, but she wants that 1:44. I agreed to enter the race as well (used to be in August) to pace her. We got ever so close with a 1:44:05---30 second PR for her but 6 elusive seconds too slow. She was quite sad at first and then recovered during the drive home. I felt great throughout. It's tough to push a dear friend to a point of breaking. She did run her last 5k faster than the previous one and left it on the course. She had a high fever earlier in the week and coughed all night last night. We shared a hotel room, so I know!

Walt R-B was there and waiting at the finish for us. What a sight for sore eyes. Great to see you and I'll let him tell you how he did. He's FAST.

24 miles on the day for me---2 miles to Central Park and the start, 13.1 and then cd miles back to the hotel. The kiddo wanted to run when I got home, so 3 more. Feeling good. 4 weeks to Boston fun!

MTA: Nice job twinge-less Tom and hey there dg! feeling okay?

Bayside

Mr. Nono here.  It was a great day here at VA Beach.  The sun was out and the conditions ideal (warm with a slight cool breeze).  Can't believe the wife choked big time!  Took days off of work and now I can't even brag about my wife's marathon to my coworkers.  I was undertrained as well and ran my 8K race on Saturday without problems.  Some say you can't compare an 8K performance to a marathon's, but I think I can :-).  It is a sad day here at the Nono household!

Maniac 505

Bataan was AWESOME  I will write a RR  when I get to my computer in a day or two. over 5700 runners,  the majority military  unfortunately my stupid camera phone over wrote most of the pictures.

Dave

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim must be part camel to run 22 miles w/o water!

PDR.. WTG on the 70% age grade, that's a big one! It means you ain't too shabby! Smile

Nice pics Lou!  Pretty day there!

OH NOno??

Slo AG award!  Awesome!

5 miles at 8:28 pace which was very good for me right now, especially after yesterday's 21 miler!  Legs (and knee) had no soreness!  My best feeling shoes (Asics 2140) have 750 miles!

Later we drove to the beach and walked 4 miles.  The highly canted shore and soft sand was a good workout too.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Walt R-B was there and waiting at the finish for us. What a sight for sore eyes. Great to see you and I'll let him tell you how he did. He's FAST.

I paid Karin to say that.

Based on some tempo runs earlier in the week (plus a whole lot of preoccupation in the noggin), I knew a PR (sub 1:30) in the HM wasn't realistic. So I set out to do a 7:00 m/m tempo run for the 13.1....which I came close to. 13.1 miles, 1:33:32, 7:08 m/m. I treated the last mile as a cool-down at 8:14 and got passed by what seemed like half the participants.

It was a spectacular day out, and a real treat to run through NYC today.

It's so fun to meet RA'ers IRL. Especially when they pay you compliments. I don't think that Karin ever runs out of energy....that woman is FIT, and ready to kick a$$ and take names at Boston.

Lots of great racing today! Walt

Mariposai

Great to hear that Bantan was AWESOME. I know that race can be a brutal race. Congrats! And now rest up, heal up...Wenatchee is just around the corner!

Wonderful races this weekend. I can't wait to read the RR.

I have yet to read the whole daily. I just got back from a 15 miles run. It was 65 when I started, it was a bit too hot for a decent run. I am glad with the results. 5 miles at MP, 6 easy, 2 at MP (9ish) then 2 miles faster than MP (850ish).  now it is time for an ice bath and then to my favorite bath...a tea bath (yeah that is right, it is a tea for your bath) I love that thing. I purchase them at the health food store. It comes in different flavors, my favorite is "clarity".

I can't wait to read up the daily after above mentioned bath and after I cook dinner for the boys.

Bella Sera!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, some really good running and racing today!
                      Holly, you stuck with that push up challenge for quite a while!  Who's still in - maybe Perch and Bruce?
                      Tim, I'll echo Tramps' question: 22 miles with no water?  That's just crazy, and doesn't sound very safe to me. Did you feel OK? Did you drink a gallon when you got home?
                      Nono,  Sorry it didn't go as well as you'd hoped, but it still sounds like a good race and I'm looking forward to your RR! Tell that Bayside he can still brag about your marathon at work - you still ran it didn't you?
                      Slo, COngrats on 3rd in AG!
                      WRFB, thanks for the gorgeous photos!  What, no pics of PDR and Kimmie?
                      Enkie, how nice that you got out for a trail run today!  They're my favorite kind.
                      Tom, you sure have a fast age group!

Karin, you raced a half within a 24 mile day?  Wow.  Cool that you met Walt, too!  Walt, you sure are speedy!

No running for me - still resting my stoopid leg. It would be way too muddy/slushy to run anyway - DD and I took the dogs for a walk and it was delightfully warm with extremely sloppy conditions.

Deb - good luck with the surgery tomorrow!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Finally getting a chance to get in here this weekend.  Looks like our racers survived!  I think I live Divechief's comment the best.

Denise - Hope you got a nap in.

Enke - What size shoe are you wearing?  I wear a whole size to size and a half larger than my regular shoe.  I'm partial to Mizunos.

Holly - Nice to see your second LR went good!

A long weekend of running for me.  27.8 yesterday - 12 road miles, 15.8 trail miles with lots of climbing.

Thankfully, my coach ran with me.  He's a talker, so by the time we got to the third climb I was needing the diversion.  I had to keep telling myself that in a couple of weeks my legs will feel much sproinkier.  Absolutely no nausea!  Yea!  Instead, I was hungry the whole time.  Ate little bits every 20 minutes, which worked out great.

Another 16 today.  Started off with that kind of misting rain where it feels like someone has a spray bottle aimed at your face.  Just enough to make me nice and damp and cold when I hit the wind.  Partially cleared toward the end of the run, but by about  Mile 12, my legs had lost pretty much all sproink.  Would make myself run to a target before I walked again, or force myself to run X-number of steps.  Finished in 3:12 with a snail pace of 12:00.  Oh well.  I got it done with no problems other than being really tired.  Now I can't seem to NOT be hungry.

Oh - The new do.  Freshly showered, 3 mins of hair drying. Shortest I've ever had it.  Love - - It!!

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Cute cut -- looks great!

Oh, I completely forgot to take pics when we got together -- not sure what I was thinking (or why I wasn't thinking).  Sorry, all!  It was sure a lot of fun, though.  Lots of great conversation, and Kimmie picked a great place!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Cute haircut, Leslie!  Does short hair help you run faster?  Just thinking that Walt and Tim are bald, and they're fast... (Although I doubt shaving my head would make me faster than a tortoise - and I guess tortoises don't have hair either..) Oh, never mind. 

I forgot to mention that DD and I did a marathon baking session this morning in support of you racers.   We baked 3 birthday cakes.  Her 17th birthday is tomorrow, and she'll be at a dress rehearsal for the school play (Anything Goes) till 7 or 8 pm, so we baked enough for the whole cast and crew.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

13.1 miles in annual Mercer Island Half Marathon.
                              I didn’t see enkie
                              I didn’t see francesca
                              Divechief was Bataaning
                              I didn’t see any gu at the aid stations
                              I saw purple magnolias, pink cherry blossoms
                              I didn’t see the finish clock registering under 2:45 again
                              As usual, I heard woodpeckers and bald eagles.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Gotta go back and read today's thread, but for now I'm gonna post my run...

21.66 miles, 8:27 avg pace, 157 avg hr (170 max). This is a good training run for Boston... lots of hills the last 1/3, but I sure wasn't expecting the headwind from miles 17 to 21! That really made it hard. I did stop at the student rec center (mile 13.3) for Gu and water, and stopped again at my parents house (mile 17) for more water and Luna chews. Ick. Don't like those and threw out the last 3. Stop at my folks' house was too long but ok, I don't see them very often for how close they live. My dad was very chatty. I called DH from there and asked him to meet me at the bottom of our hill in 35 minutes and I made it just about right on time. 

This run gives me over 32 miles for the weekend (10.5 yesterday, 21.66 today), and 55.7 for the week. Here's the elevation profile, the real hills started after mile 12: