Masters Running

Friday Follies 7/26 (Read 37 times)

C-R

Morning everyone. Hard to believe I start a thread.

Busy week with travel to Atlanta and Nashville but I did get to run with a fellow RA peep. Planned on running another all-comers track meet last night but when I returned home from work DS1 and DS2 collided and DS1 now has a broken collar bone. Spent a couple of hours in the ER. He was bummed he couldn't race last night and then it hit him that he can't do much for the next 4 weeks. No running (he was up to 30 mpw) no XC, no soccer, no scootering, no swimming. He's our little outdoor guy and this is going to be tough. DS1 feels like a heel but accidents happen.

Hope you all have a good Friday and weekend. Go racers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Sorry to hear about your son C-R.  At least his young bones will heal fast.

Forgot to post my run yesterday - 4.4 miles in humid 59F.  It was ok, but I got foot pain close to the end.  This has been an on/off thing for about two years, not sure if it is Morton's neuroma or what.

Rest day, race tomorrow night.

Kids leave this morning to go visit their grandparents for 12 days.  It's going to be quiet and a bit lonely around here, so I have started filling up  my week with activities, plus, I guess I will be running a lot more too, so not all bad.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tramps

C-R--ouch.  What a drag.  And during the summer, too.

Gorgeous weather continues here today.  Windows open (no AC!), bright sunshine.  I'm going to try to catch up on yard work later today and over the weekend.

EZ 5.3 this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Good attitude Enke.  Keep yourself busy and the time will fly by.

Sorry for your son C-R.

84 degrees and overcast with a very welcome light rain this morning, so I moped around for 6.5 miles.  Very muggy.

Spareribs

Hang in there enke....activity filled days sound good

Sorry to hear about the collision of the kids C-R and here's hoping the healing is speedy.

Wandered around central parking at Logan last night until I got my bearings, found my car and headed west to home....woke up in my own bed after my 4 day--4 city tour (also including Atlanta). Ran 6 easy miles in the pouring rain this morning. Racing tomorrow and then spending rest of weekend on Cape with Iron J.

Happy weekend all

My legs felt a little heavy this morning and I debated whether to run or not. Decided to give it a shot. Legs felt good fairly soon and ran an easy 3.5.

C-R hoping DS mends quickly.

dg.

Welcome home, Karin.   Neat you get to spend time with Iron J.

C-R, that's tough.    I hope he heals quickly, & finds something he likes doing in the meantime.  they collided?

enke that's a long time!   hope you have good weather.    to run on your beautiful bridle path!   wow, I saw the pictures in one of the race reports.      In my experience, this can be a good time to get reacquainted with yourself, at least a little.... though you seem pretty well grounded, & may not need that at all!

Ribs I can't even imagine running in that weather, though it would be jtwili....

I'm going to do yardwork with Tramps this weekend, but I also want to clean my basement and my garage and install a dishwasher that's been sitting my kitchen for a couple of weeks.      Ever the optimist.

Craneium glad it worked out well!  MIne was sort of the opposite...  I started out with high hopes but legs and all felt heavier than I expected.   IRC, I think, not sure about the humidity but mid 50's has to be good.    Anyway, 8.03 miles, a hilly route (for me...)

Marathon Maniac #957

C-R--ouch.  What a drag.  And during the summer, too.

+1

Enke - that's a long time, but after the first couple of days you may get to enjoy the peace and quiet a bit.  I don't think I've had the house to myself for more than an hour or two in, well, 17 years at least.  Just think of the cleaning I'd get done, the books I'd read, the running I could get in, without having to rush back for something.....Smile

No run for me this morning, just 30-40 minutes of light weights and core watching The Graham Norton Show.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

No morning run for me today but did manage 5.2 in a light rain this evening. It has the feel of good running weather coming on!

Good luck to all the racers this weekend and Happy Running to all!!!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Yes, good luck to everybody racing this weekend!

Boy, this new training schedule is tough--it's hard not to run when you're not injured.  A couple nights ago, I woke up 3 times with severe cramps in my calves...what's up with that?  Yes, I eat bananas every day.

Tomorrow, I'm going to lay out my running schedule for the next 4 months...I love doing that.  I wish I could do it tonight but DW would get mad at me...I think she wants to spend some time with me...

Hey--where's Jay?

Uh oh...here she comes to spend some time with me...gotta go...

Mariposai

MikeE, I am looking forward to following your training this time around. Will you share the plan with us. I think we will all learn from it.

DG, you are running well these days. Way to go with the 8+ miler today. BTW, when you are done with installing  your dishwasher, come on over to help me with my project. I need to stain the deck badly.

Where is Erika?

well, the Easy Pacer informed tonight that he has to work tomorrow, so our planned backpacking trip won't happen. That is OK, we have 10 days of that backpacking ahead of us in a few weeks. So, now I have the whole weekend to myself.

No running for me, but I did another 65' of core and legs.

C-R, sorry to hear about the kiddo. As an active child, something like that would have devastated me.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Yep--I'll be glad to tell you all about it.  I really don't think it's a whole lot different than a lot of people do.  I think Tramps uses this training plan but has adapted it, slightly, to meet his needs.  I had always heard the Hansons plan never let you go over 16 miles for a long run...and if you just look at the training plan they publish, that's the longest run they give.  But when I read their reasoning for it, I realized that I can run futther, as long as I fall within the other parameters they give.  The one thing I might have a problem with is the speed work.  It's during the week and to find an open track might be a little difficult...not because of track, but because of the infields being used for football and soccer...it could be a little distracting to have a little old man doing 400 meter repeats during a varsity soccer match...

So, DW is a little mad at me.  Because we're always trying to find something we can enjoy together...which is why I joined the church choir (even though I can't sing) many years ago...and why I joined a bowling league (even though I stink at bowling)...and, to her credit, why she has tried to run from time to time--we started watching Gray's Anatomy a while back.  We watch it on on Netflix...well DW started watching it and I got roped into it during season 2 or 3.  There are some pretty cool...funny...and, even, some very touching parts (yeah, I'm kind of a sensitive guy)...but, overall, I think it's a pretty dumb show.  Sorry if some of you like it...but it's just not my thing.  Anyway...because, of my "history" with my former wife...I have never liked watching shows or movies where there are people cheating on their spouses.  Well, I happen to like a character on this show who broke up the marriage of one of the main characters on the show....but, if he hadn't broken up their marriage, then the two main characters would not be a couple and there would be no show.  But, anyway....DW is mad at me because I like this guy...and I like the lesbians...but that's a whole different story...

Yeah, so...umm, lets see...what else is there to talk about....

Oh...Ryan broke up with his GF of 6 years, today.   She's a nice girl...and she absolutely loves Ryan..and if this girl was my daughter I'd want to kick Ryan's butt for breaking her heart.  But, I have to give Ryan a lot of credit for breaking it off now, rather than going through the motions and breaking it off after they'd been married for 10 years and had a couple of kids.  BUT--we were supposed to go to Florida with her family in February to celebrate her Golden Birthday--and I was going to take advantage of the situation by running the Gainsville Marathon.  We've already put a $250 deposit down for a condo thing out there....but I really don't want to go there, now...and it opens up the possibility of doing what I really want to do in March...but that's a whole other story...

Okay...I think I'll go and see if DW will talk to me again...I'm such a jerk...

evanflein

Just when I wonder where the drama in life is, I read a MikeE post and find it all over again.  Wink  Good for Ryan on being proactive there. You'll figure out what to do about Gainsville.

Hi Mariposai! Here I am. Been very busy lately with work and life. It's all good, but some things get put off, like checking in here.

Enjoy the alone time, and peace and quiet, Enkie. You'll love it, really.

Hi DG! I'm not around here that much these days either, but it's good to see you and sounds like you are running well!

Ouch, C-R and so sorry to hear about your son's collarbone. Carpy time of year for that, but hey, natural consequences and all that, right?

Took today off from work and got a lot of errands done in the morning. It's amazing how fast you can get the shopping done on a Friday morning! Ran 5.1 easy after I got home and put everything away, then made sandwiches and snacks for our trip to the berry patch! Our usual spot was disappointing at best, so went a mile or so to the west and found a bunch of blueberries. It got late so we came home with less than we wanted (and less than we should have gotten for the time spent) but I'll go back tomorrow for more.

Hello everybody!  Yes, good luck to everybody racing this weekend!

Boy, this new training schedule is tough--it's hard not to run when you're not injured.  A couple nights ago, I woke up 3 times with severe cramps in my calves...what's up with that?  Yes, I eat bananas every day.

...try Tonic Water, it has Quinine in it.

you're welcome.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks, tomwhite...I will.  I had never heard of tonic water for cramps.