Masters Running

Thursday January 7 Master Runs, Workouts, and whatever ... (Read 485 times)

A second 4+ miles on a second balmy evening with temps at 30.  Clearer this evening, but also more damp - my hat was frosty when I got inside.  They're predicting up to an inch of snow in the morning and I think the weather folks may be calling this one correctly.  Can you say "2-hour delay?"    Here's hopin'.  But NOOOOOO snow days!!!!

Walt - I'm getting a lot of mileage out of your "resolutionaries" line.

Sue - a lot of people think I'm goofy for running at all.  I can't imagine what they'd say if I told them people do a HM and a marathon in the same weekend.  Have a blast at Disney.  Rock that neck gaitor - and the races!

Holly - sorry about your continued unexpected stressors adding to your already crazy schedule, but whoever said it sounds like a movie script was right.  I know it's awful, but the way you write about it make it sound funny, in a sit-com sort of way.  I think more wine and bubbles are in order.  In fact, I'm having a glass of wine in your honor right now.  Wink

My late kitty went nuts over corn on the cob.  She had this unique meow that we only heard when we brought fresh corn into the house.  In her kitten days, she even climbed on the top of the fridge to get to it.  She would chew on the husks and lick the ear if we'd let her.  (I need a new kitty.)  <sigh>

Nono - have you ever taken the kids to the Wetlands Institute?  I've only been a few times, but it's wonderful.  Did a sunset, full-moon paddle there in summer '08 that was magical.

Thus ends the first 5-day school week of the new year.  I'm staying fairly zen.  In fact, one of the kids who is among the biggest PIAs in the school totally cracked me up today, in a good way.  

Stay warm, everybody!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

wildchild

Carolyn

First time I've had a chance to post in a couple of days - very busy at work, 8" of new snow, and  DH left today for a 10- day trip to CA.  I'm still taking a break from running, but unlike Tuesday when it was 50°, today it was -5°, so not running was very enjoyable!

Holly, sorry about your soap opera life!  I couldn't help thinking, though, that at least you're lucky to live near a store.  For us the nearest grocery or pharmacy is 40 minutes away, which would add a whole other dimension to the stress.

Twocat, I love the pic of the cat in the coat. (sounds like Dr. Seuss!)

Mary, my dogs love the snow too, but not really cold temps. They get balls of ice in their pads and want to come in.

Perch, they don't call it global warming anymore - the PC term is "climate change" This accounts for both hotter and colder than usual. Get with the program! 

Enkie, glad you had a good run today! And I totally agree with you that Holly should train her DH to help with the cooking, and maybe the kids too. At our house, DD, DH, and I take turns, which is great.  I'm lucky that my DH is a good cook, and teaching kids to cook is doing them a great favor (but DD doesn't necessarily agree, although she's developed into a pretty good cook.)

Tramps, where did you find those lice jokes? 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Teresa--bad luck for the 'Horns.  As of the 3rd, it's not looking good.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

It has "warmed up" to 31º as I write this!  So I say we add fattozig to the hit list!  I already have one out on BCMorant I figure we can get a discount on the second! 

P.S.  I like sweets does that count? 

Hee hee hee.  I have some very low friends who will protect me.

And yes, your sweet tooth does count.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

To hell with the shoe companies!!!;

chris - that's what I said after my first barefoot marathon on a whim in 1990 and I haven't purchased a pair of running shoes ever since. 

dg -  no need to buy special shoes that're supposed to mimic running barefoot when you can do it for real, e.g.  (1) walk around barefoot in the house to get used to the feel of the freed-up soles, (2) then walk around outside on smooth paved/concrete surfaces (no sharp, cursed crushed rock poking through chip-seal, etc.), (3)  then run a little (with shortened strides to keep heel of foot from striking ground before mid-sole landing can absorb shock naturally).  Treadmill or soft cinder, rubberized, polyurethane, etc.  track if possible.  Use Free's, VFF's, racing flats, neopreme aquasock beach shoes, slippers, thongs, etc. for keeping barefoot feel on sharp, rough surfaces.

note to erika - ignore no. 2 about going outside. 

Good luck. 

ps francesca - don't know about puttin' a "0" after another possible 5K for me in February but, no particular reason or anything like that, it seems there's at least one 50K ever month of the year around here in the PNW.

pps - have fun at this weekend's evening Bridle Trails 50K that you survived so well last year. 

If I wasn't so chicken, . . . I  mean busy, I'd be there too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

it seems there's at least one 50K ever month of the year around here in the PNW.

it is a great place to be runners..indeed....Call of the wild 50K on Feb13...Woolley 50 on Feb 20 but I have to squeeze in a trip to Italy in between for my Mom's 80th B'day on the 19th!!!!! tough decisions!!!

evanflein

note to erika - ignore no. 2 about going outside. 

But Tet, this is the smoothest the outdoor surfaces will be in a long time! And after awhile, I wouldn't feel it anyway, right?