Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 7.10.13 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wow! New orthotics; upcoming race anticipation; watching the weather forecast; dealing with the current weather; conference calls across the pond; enjoying bug-free zones; car break-downs; dealing with the weather; worrying about upcoming races; showing shot shoes; and, oh yeah, run reports! Busy day yesterday!!

I expected a meeting we held last night to be stressful, but fortunately, everyone played nicely and we actually had a very good and productive meeting. I like when that happens! The meeting was a work session for our conservation commission, and we are proposing that the town lower the percentage of each lot that can be covered with sealed surface (would apply to new construction and redevelopment). Fascinating, huh? Roll eyes

7 racewalking miles at 4:05am - 63F and a cooling breeze from the NE. Nothing but grey skies indicating that rain is on its way here. I felt like I was working well this morning, but when I got back and checked my splits, I was pretty dang slow. I think my speed got up and left. But I was happy to be out there, so no complaints of a serious nature.

'Nother 8:30 meeting this morning, so I'm outta here.

Cheers,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Thanks for starting us off, Jay.  Actually, that stuff is interesting.  It’s a different world down here where “property rights” trumps just about everything else.

Holly—yuck on all that dental stuff.

Enke—cars are great…until they’re not.  Hope you get it sorted out.

Fattozig—congrats on the job.  Hope you like it and it becomes permanent

Denise—hang in there and relax.  The swim will go fine.  Remember, the suit makes you buoyant. Wink

Blue—my Asics tend to go on the toe like that, but I’m usually good for 1000 miles.  Of course, I run a lot on dirt/gravel, which I think helps.

Another swampy run.  EZ 5,

Be safe. Be kind.

mrrun

Morning Jay, Tramps and those to follow,

back from Canada and I'm behind on activities, so limiting myself to condolences to runr.

went out for swampy 7 today after almost 2 weeks of no humidity, minimal running, and lots of fun and it was not pretty.  the rains started when i was 2 miles from home and at first couldn't tell if it was raining or sweat. however, it's done and now a day of catch-up and stuff.

marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all.  Stealing a little time from work to read.

4 miles this morning.  Staying a little cooler, but still 100% humid with a light mist for most of the loop.

Great news on the new job, Leslie.  Hope it won't take them long to figure out how essential you are to the smooth functioning of the office.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Singer who runs a smidge

Deez, look at your local grocery store or GNC for powdered ginger capsules.  Ginger is a really good natural anti-nausea.  I have trouble with motion sickness when I fly, so I take a couple of capsules before I board, and everything is fine.  DH and I were on a small plane once that had to land through the remnants of a hurricane.  The flight attendants were passing around wet washcloths afterwards, and there was much use of airsick bags.  DH and I, having popped two capsules each when it started getting rough, had no problems at all!

I also take them if I'm planning to ride roller coasters.  Just in case.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

King of PhotoShop

Morning!

Set out to run 5 this morning and made it to 2.7 and called it quits. Wasn't the heat. Just fatigue.  I am going through some difficulties with tired legs.  At about 3-4 miles my quads feel the way they do late in a marathon.  A nurse I run with hypothesizes that this is a vascular issue and that I'm not getting enough oxygenated blood to the legs.  I raced a tenK on Saturday in a slow time and my legs were tired at about 4 miles.

So I have this 5-year anniversary coming up.  (July 31, 2008 was my open heart surgery.) The earliest the cardiologist can see me is August 7th, and on that visit I am hoping he will schedule a stress test right away, because this has been going on for quite some time and I would like to know what it is.  I am not winded.  Breathing is normal. It's just this tremendous tiredness.  Thanks for listening.  Spareribs

Dave59

Ran 3 in the soupy air again today.  It's supposed to be nicer out tomorrow and for a few days after.

Kind of bored and burned out at work.  After 7 months of overly intense work on a big project I am suffering from a letdown.  Since the project finished it seems like there have been too many meetings with too many people attending, talking for too long.  And I've been spending my time on a bunch of small projects that kind of get boring after having been around for 28 years.

I wonder if there is anything management could do to help people cope with end of project letdown?  I was thinking of maybe a cake, bonus, and a couple extra days vacation. Roll eyes   Throw in a trip to a mountain resort for good measure.  That's what I would do for my people if I ran things. Wink

At least I have a week off coming up soon.  Going to visit friends near Knoxville and buzz down to Tallahassee for a couple days to visit the grandkid.

...you need a break dave//.............look up at the sky, say ''Scroot'' 3-times real fast,,,,,,,,,,,,and enjoy your visits.

=======

off week here,

If

I actually had any Bon-Bons I would sit on my Arse and eat them......

..............good running guys.........

oh, ps,

if you actually DON'T want to get a hip replacement, never ask a friggin' surgeon what he thinks......

next time

I'll ask a dentist

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Set out to run 5 this morning and made it to 2.7 and called it quits. Wasn't the heat. Just fatigue.  I am going through some difficulties with tired legs.  At about 3-4 miles my quads feel the way they do late in a marathon.  A nurse I run with hypothesizes that this is a vascular issue and that I'm not getting enough oxygenated blood to the legs.  I raced a tenK on Saturday in a slow time and my legs were tired at about 4 miles.

So I have this 5-year anniversary coming up.  (July 31, 2008 was my open heart surgery.) The earliest the cardiologist can see me is August 7th, and on that visit I am hoping he will schedule a stress test right away, because this has been going on for quite some time and I would like to know what it is.  I am not winded.  Breathing is normal. It's just this tremendous tiredness.  Thanks for listening.  Spareribs

Ribs, the nurse is probably right.  But another thing to consider might be the meds you are likely on.  Many heart patients are on Beta Blockers and these are known to have a side effect of extreme fatigue.  Have you added any new meds lately?  Or changed to a bigger dosage?  Perhaps a lower dose would help.  Just a thought.  Good luck to you.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

I wonder if there is anything management could do to help people cope with end of project letdown?  I was thinking of maybe a cake, bonus, and a couple extra days vacation. Roll eyes   Throw in a trip to a mountain resort for good measure.  That's what I would do for my people if I ran things. Wink

I agree!

TomWhite - don't go see my dentist, though.....

Ribs - when you scheduled the appointment, did you share your concerns?  I would suggest you call and talk to the cardio's nurse and see if you can get the test scheduled ahead of the appointment, rather than waiting until after.

4 sluggish miles for me this morning.  77 degrees and 93% at 5am, but the heat wasn't really the problem, just no energy today.  I had planned to do a local 6-mile pub run tonight after work, but I know it will be extremely hard to talk myself into leaving the house again once I get home and put my feet up.  Thunderstorms heading this way may make the decision for me.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

{{{{{{{{{{Butterfly hugs to the Wiseone. aka Spareribs}}}}}}}}}}} I agree with Holly, call the doctor back and tell them your concern.

Well, I took the legs for a test post backpacking and I found out that the legs are just very, very tired, like brick tired, but no pain, which is very good. I took a stumble on an ice field during the trek and I was concerned about my knees and ankle. Ohh I did run 6 miles.

MikeE, when are going to start heading West? Safe travels!

Also a dozen butterfly hugs to Enkephalin, car trouble is not fun no matter when they come.

Well, off to the office again. It sure is nice to have my workplace only 4 blocks from the house. I can come home for lunch,.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

If Dave becomes the owner/manager, I want to work for Dave.

Ribs - I agree with what others have said, if you haven't already thought about it.  Will keep you in my prayers.

1 hour of TRX-ing and core work on the stability ball.  My stomach muscles are sore!!  That band of muscles right under your belly button - every time I sneeze - ouch!  But it's a good ouch.

Going on a 5-mike hike this evening with a group from church.  Hopefully the weather will be nice and I can get some good photos to share.

Later ~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TomWhite - don't go see my dentist, though.....

Big grin

(((ribbs)))........I WOULD, however, let your doc know what's going on.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Spent the day in bed with a stomach flu.  Had 5 naps.  That must be some kind of record.  Maybe tomorrow I will deal with the car.

On the bright side, I imagine I will be all better and not contagious by the time I hook up with Wildchild and Mike on Saturday.  And the weather is looking a lot cooler now for their marathon.   lows of 52, highs of 73?

deez!  good luck on that tri!

SR - fatigue symptoms like that can really be frustrating.  Hopefully it will go away just in time for your doctors visit.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Yep...high of 75, low 53...light North wind...it could be worse.

Hope you feel better, enke!