Masters Running

Wed Nov 26 Runs and Whatnot (Read 624 times)

My hammie is still tight . . .
    Have you ever done the wall stretch? It did wonders for my tight hammies. They used to be so bad that when I'd get up to walk after having sat for awhile, I'd have to stayed in a sort of squatted position and hobble along until they loosened up. My coach gave the wall stretch, and after about a week or so of consistently doing it every day, things started feeling so much better. It's also helped with my lower back, since it's all related. You want to be at a doorway so that the leg that's not on the wall has somewhere to be. Lie on your back, one leg/heel up on the wall, the other leg bent with foot on the floor (this is the one that's in the doorway). For lack of a better way to explain, you want to feel a slight/relaxed, but not uncomfortable, stretch in the hammy on the wall. Stay in that position for 5 minutes then switch legs, which will require you to move to the other side of the doorway. Soon, after a couple of weeks of consistent stretching, you'll be able to do this with your leg straight and your butt up against the wall. At that point, it's a matter of maintenance. All of your guys' talk of marathons gets me wondering if I could do a marathon on the road. Maybe. The one I did last month in Susanville was a rail to trails marathon. Cripes, but I was bored. It was a beautiful area, but the scenery never changed. And it was straight, straight, straight. I guess that's why I like trail running so much. The trail/terrain are constantly changing. Tet, my trail running friend, understands the attraction, dontcha. Wink Well, my boss just came in, said he was going to the bank, and he'd understand if I wasn't here when he got back. So I'm outta here!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thanks crazy cat lady! I have heard of that stretch, and was going to try it soon. I was a bit apprehensive about lying on the hard floor...5 minutes, wow... better bring some reading material. My daughter told me she is no longer going to marry Matti. "ever since he got into first grade he has been weird". She has a new crush but is not telling me who. Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Good luck to the turkeys who are trotting tomorrow! Mary, nice dog picture! Do you ever run with Huntley or Hailey, or just Brinkley? r2farm, how close do you live to Ft Collins? I thought you were in Nebraska - that's kind of a long drive to a race, isn't it? Or do you have family there that you're spending the holiday with? Tim - nice cross training! Did your fingers and toes look like prunes after all that time in the pool? I don't do weight workouts much at all since I started running. I do some of my winter running at the rec center so will try to get back to it. My warm up/cool downs are different depending on if I'm running in the mountains or flatlands. In the mountains, I walk up my driveway to warm up, because it's too steep to run up. (0.15 miles, 100 ft up). Then I start my run at the top. It's still uphill on the road, but not as steep. But I run down the driveway at the end of my runs, with no cool down walking. In the flatlands I start jogging slowly right off the bat, but walk at the end, usually after I've reached an even mile or half mile on my Garmin. I haven't had a day off from running for seven days, but it's just too darned nice out to skip it today. It was 62 degrees and sunny at lunchtime, so I went for an easy 4 miles on the Highline Canal trail past all the McMansions. Some of them are true testaments to what happens when you have too much money and too little taste. Shocked

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Now I just need to come up with an injury-proof training plan Roll eyes
          It doesn't make you fast but maybe okay for the Rock'n'Roll - "never run more than half the distance of the event itself" (The Runner Magazine, winter 1978 <>now defunct)>>>)
          Tet, my trail running friend, understands the attraction, dontcha. Wink
          - me too, . . . to say nothing of all the conveniences. Smile
          Treadmill runs don't count?? Then I've been off for a loooong time every winter!
          Erika - I think my friend black beauty counts TM'ing so prolly okay, . . . but I don't know if it's easy or not. lynden/franci - "no-parking 11/30 5am-2:30pm" bifolds going up along Fifth Avenue.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

6 miles for me this afternoon. Incorporated some hills in the last 2 miles.
            if my feet never touched the ground,
            "I fly so high when you're around, that my feet don't touch the ground." Well....Tim, that wasn't necessarily meant for you....your post just reminded me of a song.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Thanks crazy cat lady! I have heard of that stretch, and was going to try it soon. I was a bit apprehensive about lying on the hard floor...5 minutes, wow... better bring some reading material. My daughter told me she is no longer going to marry Matti. "ever since he got into first grade he has been weird". She has a new crush but is not telling me who. Smile
              I wear my iPOD, pick a long song, and stretch through it. It seems to go faster. I tried reading, but my arms got tired of holding the magazine or book up. Your daughter sounds like a smart little lady. Wink MTA: This is funny! The ladies will definitely love it. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/c6dae9f21c134867b24ba68c4f2a68c2#focus

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Fatozzig....I got a vacuum cleaner for my birthday from my husband, back in the first couple years of our marriage....somehow I stayed married to him.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

My dad got my mom an ironing board... And the funny part is, my FIL gave my MIL an ironing board, too! First anniversary, both of them. But mom's came with an iron, too. Roll eyes (I came with my own, so DH didn't have to worry about going there!)

#artbydmcbride

5 miles along the marina with a reduced-in-size running club. Maybe it was the rain? Enjoy the gift all! And have a great feast tomorrow. Big grin

Runners run

flatland mountaineer

Good luck to the turkeys who are trotting tomorrow! r2farm, how close do you live to Ft Collins? I thought you were in Nebraska - that's kind of a long drive to a race, isn't it? Or do you have family there that you're spending the holiday with? [
                      We are about 3.5 hrs from the front range and 18 mi from the CO border. Lynda's sis lives here but we have been known to drive out here to race without a family visit. Its also the closest major city/shopping etc and run stores.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III