Masters Running

Favorite Recipe Thread (Read 1067 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, we haven't done this in a while.  How about we post a favorite recipe on this thread to share?  Let's limit today's recipe thread to Breakfast Foods, just to make it interesting (and to keep those deadly desserts out of it this time).

I'll start with my favorite hot cereal recipe, which I got from Tammy, ala San Souci, and slightly modified it to fit my own preferences.  This stuff is KILLER after a hard run, wholesome with crunchy bits - Turbo-Charged Oatmeal!  I make a large batch of this at one time and refrigerate in a sealed container and just take a serving size at a time and microwave it. Stores in fridge for about 5-6 days.

Hot Cereal

½ c. hard red wheat
    ½ c. barley
    1 ½ c. oats (the raw seed, not the flakes)
    generous ¼ c. flax seeds
    generous ¼ c. millet

The recipe:
    1 cup grains
    5 c water (or up to 6 c., if you like it thinner)
    salt to taste

cinnamon

Combine grains, water, salt.  Bring to boil. Lower heat to simmer, stir occasionally.  Simmer for at least an hour and check for desired firmness.  (I like about 1:15-1:30).  Then I add cinnamon - tons of it, because I LOVE cinnamon.

Reheat a single serving with or w/o milk in microwave.  Add your choice of sweetener (I use Splenda or brown sugar).   

Optional: dried fruit (I usually add raisins); top with crushed walnuts or almonds

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I have only made this once or twice, but I've got a couple of zuccinis in the garden almost ready.

Zuccini Casserole

2 medium zuccinis - shredded, like how you would shred cheese

1 chopped onion

2 garlic bulbs, crushed

8 oz shredded mozarella

4 oz parmesan cheese

1/2 tsp salt, bit of pepper

2 eggs

breadcrumbs

fry onion and garlic in oil, then mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.  Put in a baking dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake at 350F for an hour, the first 30 minutes covered with tin foil.

(good with spaghetti sauce....)

Works for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

BlazinCajun

Since I'm originally from Louisiana and of French decent - here is my favorite:

Praline French Toast

Great after a long run. Andrew

Andrew
        ------------------
        God, my Lord, is my strength;
        he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
        and enables me to go upon the heights.
        Hb 3:19

Slo

Hurry

I am needing a Polenta fix........Planning on doing something on the grill tonight. Anyone have and idea's for using Polenta as a side dish off the grill ?

And Old stand by....which I will revert to is:

Slice Polenta in 1/2" slices. Lightly gril both sides. Top with fresh mushrooms, chopped tomatoes and mozzarella....return to grill until cheese is melted.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Since I'm originally from Louisiana and of French decent - here is my favorite:

Praline French Toast

Great after a long run. Andrew

I somehow doubt the 6 servings, though.  sounds like 2 or 3 at our house   Have to print that one out.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

#artbydmcbride

1 ounce vodka

1 teaspoon peach schnappes

Runners run

evanflein

Ilene!

Holly, your recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups of grains, but the instructions say 1...?

[ETA: Thanks, Tammy. I'd prolly add some barley in there...]

TammyinGP

Erika, you can mix up a larger batch of the grains to just keep in a airtight container and then when you want to cook some up, you are just using a cup of grains to 5-6 cups of water and cooking that up.  Since the ingredients will probably be purchased in bulk, it makes more sense to purchase larger quantities of them and mix them all up.  I remember Souci's recipe had about 7 types of grains, but I don't remember which ones Holly took out in her own version of the recipe.

ETA: and one thing I remember doing that Holly's recipe doesn't mention, is after I cooked up all the grains, I then cold water rinsed the cooked grains because what little water might be left is sort of 'pasty' - like that foamy pasty stuff you get on the top of oatmeal when you slow cook it. So, I cold water rinsed it all clean, put in a container and then just reheated and added some milk/br sugar when I heated a smaller portion to eat.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Erica - like Tammy says, I mix up the grains and put them in a freezer bag in the freezer (that's also where I keep the rest of the grain packages).

Tammy - I took out triticale, which my health food store didn't have, and rye, which I didn't really like in there.  I don't rinse the cereal, just stir it and put it in a tupperware container in the fridge.  When I reheat it, it has the thick, oatmeal consistancy that I don't mind, thinning slightly of course when I add milk.  Do you add cinnamon to yours?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Eggs

Cabbage chopped and sauteed in olive oil for 10 min (from Buffalo Tacos usually the night before)

Toasted sprouted bread

Garlic Sambal aioli

Assemble into a breakfast sandwich.  Pure love!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

HermosaBoy

Nearly every person who has tried this recipe has enjoyed it. Even folks who "hate tequila and hate margaritas" wind up liking this recipe and making their own margaritas.

Tequila -- Does not have to be expensive
                        One cup (8 ounces)
                        Triple sec a quarter cup
                        Limeade frozen concentrate half can (6 ounces)
                        Lemon juice one fresh lemon
                        Ice Two cups large cubes
                        Water a half cup

Mixing the Ingredients

1. Get a blender. You do not need a a good one because there is not a requirement for crushing ice.  Or you can just put in a one gallon thermos bottle.

2. Put the ice cubes in the blender.

3. Pour in the tequila and triple sec so that the ice starts diluting the liquor.

4. Using your straining device to keep out lemon seeds, squeeze that fresh lemon into the blender.

5. Pour in the lime aide concentrate. Try not to exceed the prescribed amount -- go light on this stuff (if anything).

6. Pulse or blend only long enough to get the concoction mixed so that it sort of fizzes and changes consistancy slightly. Blending into crushed ice is OK, I just do not prefer it.

7. Toss 4 ice cubes into a 12 ounce, salt rimmed glass, and then pour the margarita!

8. Cut up a lime and hang it off the edge of the glass. This is completely optional. Only garnishment.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Now Hermosaboy has the right idea for a nutritious breakfast food - er drink.  Dang, it has fruit juice and everything!

I stink at the breakfast stuff since I usually eat oatmeal or bagel w/cc.  Let me know when the main course or appetizer thread comes through and I'll share.

. . . . . Although I do have a really great and easy lowfat granola recipe . . . .

From Chef Kathleen Daelemans

1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

1/2 cup water

4 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 tsp salt

8 cups old fashioned rolled oats

2 cups chopped nuts

Dried fruit (optional) chopped into chunks

Need large mixing bowl, small microwave-proof bowl, two cookie sheets, parchment paper.

Preheat oven to 275.  Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.  Combine brown sugar and water in a 4-cup microvewave-proof measuring cup or bowl - no smaller as it might boil over.  Microwave on high for 5 min or until sugar is completely dissovled.  Remove from micro and add vanilla extract and salt.  Stir to combine until salt dissolves.  Places oats and nuts in large bowl and pour brown sugar mixture over them.  Stir until evenly coated.  Spread mixture on the cookie sheets and bake 45-60 min or until golden brown.  When mixture comes out of the oven, it is very pliable.  You may choose to add dried fruit as a finishing touch at this point.  When granola is completely cooled, store in an airtight container.

WARNING: Makes a lot!  Also, I stopped adding the dried fruit until I was ready to eat it because the fruit tends to get hard after a few days.  Is great alone, as a cereal, or in yogurt.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Holly, I add brown sugar to mine. Although cinnamon would be good too. It's been quite some time since I've made that, but now that you posted that recipe again, I think I'm going to hit the bulk section and get those grains to mix up a batch.

Tammy

SteveP

I rarely measure anything

Sorry

Soften honey nut cream cheese

A couple of eggs

A banana

Gradually add milk as you beat the mixture

Dip pieces of vanilla swirl bread into the batter and toss on the griddle

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - what kind of nuts do you use for that granola?