Masters Running

Tuesday, 8.23.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Mike, It was the same as Senior Games, I did qualify for Nationals, and I'm not going. They are in Birmingham, AL next summer, and if I'm having trouble with some of the heat in NH, I sure won't be able to deal with it 1,200 miles closer to the equator.

Hi Lori! I always walk up hills too, but I guess that's a little different. I'm confident you'll slay Bertha!

Nice to see Spacityrunner too!

Welcome home, Stumpy. I do hope you get to stay a while.

I'm glad you took advantage of the great weather yesterday for a 16er, Twocat. Enjoy your rest day and the new running group tomorrow eve.

Nice biking, Marj. Sorry about the new buildings in Boston blocking the view - 'progress,' eh?

Welcome back to you too, C-R. It'll be great if all your knee surgery issues are behind you now - nice 7-miler. Getting DQ'd in 2 Olympic racewalks, would definitely not be good. But the guy should have learned something from the first race.

Good (pain-free?) 4-miler, Holly.

Excellent 10.8-miler up to the peak and back, WC. I think Bertha would be no challenge for your hill climbing skills.

Good 3-day mini-streak, Enke.

Nice intervals on the elliptical, Evanflein. I'm glad the foot is continuing to behave.

You sure are one busy lady, Mariposai. I'm glad you made time for a 7er with your running bud.

I'm glad you didn't let those wooly bears get the best of you, Tet!

Quite the adventure, Steve, with stormin' and talkin' and singin' and doggin' it with Adventure Doggie. Thanks for the photos and the great illo.

It was gorgeous weather here this morning (thanks for sending it up to us, TwoCat): 57F and dry. However, I had a couple of aches that I didn't like, and rather than push through them, I just went for 4 very easy miles. I may be overly cautious, but I've signed up for a couple of halfs in Oct., and would like to be in good shape for both. Giving myself some rest now still leaves me plenty of time to ramp up by mid-Oct.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya all!

I'm back home, altho I left part of my quads in Spearfish.  Clearly paying for skipping those doubles days when I'd hit the bridge in the evenings on Tuesday and/or Thursday.  Remind me if I start nattering about going back to South Dakota again next year.

Really good visiting with everyone, but for the lack of sleep.  Stayed up late and had to get up early every day.  And my Thursday night hostess omitted telling me she was moving 500+ miles to start a new job Monday b/c she was afraid I wouldn't stay with her and she wanted to spend time with me.  Her folks were there (I know them too) so we had a grand old packing party and stayed up late.  Stayed up late the next night at another chum's house when my former boss came for dinner and stayed til after midnight.  Then got to bed at an ok hour up in Spearfish after hanging with old running chums, but had to get up to catch the 4:15 bus to the race!

Got to practice my driving on roads where deer freely roam as well.

Happy Birthday Ribs, if you still peruse this!

Holly, THANK YOU again for the hot hands!!!!  I packed them, and so so so so glad I did--it was 38 in Lead, SD Sunday am at 5:30.  Kept them in my gloves for the first hour.  Sent you lots of positive karma all weekend, hope it gets there and goes to your leg.

Congrats Jay.

Stumpy      The Price was right (on)!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome back, Amy.  Forgot you were off in the Wild West.  Sounds like an exhaustingly fun trip.  Wow--38°! Find myself wishing for that (at least a little bit)  And I did stay up for it last night.

Spent my second night in my own bed since 8/2, what with work and weekends in Maine.  Cooled off enough over night that the cat ended sleeping behind my knees, just like winter.  Think she misses us.  DW is finsihing up her dad duty with a two day trip to Rochester to drop him off (and visit relatives).  I think she has an hour count until she's on the plane back to Maine.

Should have used the cool weather to reintroduce myself to this running concept, but bed felt much too good.

Tried to post this on Rib's FB page.  not sure if it was successful............

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

One mile RT with GS to school this morning

repeat coming up this afternoon.

wooly bears all over the place.

Though it didn't get much wilder in those days,

I never thought of SD as the "wild west".

Similarly shocked when I found out UMich

was the "Champions of the West", . . . well, at least in those days.

When I went to a roommate's place in Spokane in 1961

for Thanksgiving, I told my parents I was going "east."

Now I love the east, . . especially the Far East.

ohayou gozaimasu.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Hey All!

I've been absent for the last several days, so I'm sure I've missed great running, racing and good food. Smile  

Happy Birthday and new AG to Ribs!!  

Went for a 4 mile run last night after work - only 93 yesterday which felt like a relief after the streak of 100's we've had and the temps keep inching up little by little til we are back in the 100's by this weekend again.

Tammy

Shoulder surgery this week, but (don't tell my wife or doctor) I'm running a bit this week. Heading out for 5-7 miles today.

Rehab 3-5 months, not sure when I'll be able to run again but by sometime in that time frame. Will cross train with exercise bike starting next week, followed by pool running, and elliptical (but legs only for the latter).

Marathon Maniac #957

Welcome back, Amy.  Forgot you were off in the Wild West.  Sounds like an exhaustingly fun trip.  

+1  And Happy Hot Hands to you!  I love those in the winter.  I need to sew some pockets into the back of the thighs of my running pants to keep my butt cheeks warm in the winter, as the place where my butt meets my legs always seems to freeze in the cold.

No run for me today, just about 35 minutes of weights and core.

Why did I agree to the push-up challenge?  I don't mind doing 22 push-ups a day for 22 days, but I really tired of posting the video.  And everyone else is probably tired of seeing it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Hey all.

Had to grind through today's run. Good to keep it slow to stay moving. Weather here turned fallish and I like it. Hope it stays for a bit.

Sounds like a nice trip Amy. I hope to visit SD again some day.

Great experience Steve. Thanks for sharing.

Jay. Birmingham only has heat and humidity. Other than that its quite seasonable for racing.

Happy birthday Ribs.

Good luck with the surgery X - rehab isn't all that much fun but do it properly (from my experience) or it will be extended.

Keep up the push ups Holly. Good awareness campaign. Being at VA hospitals so much, more awareness is needed.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

9.7 miles today in really nice weather. Hope it lasts.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

In CT at least it looks like warm dry weather for the next week! Just so long as it does not turn into cold dry weather until, say, um, never, I will be happy! No running for me today. Just an hour on the elliptical. Tomorrow at 6am I meet up with three others for what may or may not turn into a weekly running group

Reminder: We might have an opening for the Reach the Beach Relay team due to an injury. We leave for the starting line on Thursday 9/15. The race runs through New Hampshire. If you are interested send me a note via RA's message system and I can fill you in on additional details. We have 4 RA runners help make it 5!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Not much time but welcome to some new or re-newed posters.

Steve ,

cool race what is the name it looks like something I would like..

5.2 race paced miles for me. About 8:20 pace overall so just about where I want to be for Saturday except twice as long.

Gotta scoot,

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

I'm playing catch up again as I haven't posted since friday.  evan, good job in your muddy, chilly trail race with 1st in AG.  Jay, nice racing with 2nd in AG.  Bertha, "Hi".  steve, great half in the lightning and with Tag at the finish.  XTrack,  healing vibes for the shoulder surgery.

Nice long runs for wild, Holly (with cooperative knee and foot), evan, tet, Twocat, and wild.

Sat, I had a PW for 5 miles with a 12:10 pace.  Sun, I did 3 miles at an 11:28 pace.  This morning, it was about 60° and there was a little wind.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:47 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

SteveP

Until the crunch, Tet, I had a similar pace as Mr. Beardsley. Pre-race, I told myself that he's another middle age runner who is out having fun. I had my sights on him after the crowd thinned and I could pick up the pace a bit.

I saw pictures of him pacing kids in the one mile races on Sunday.

SD sounds lovely, Aamos.

Hi Tammy!!!!

I've been doing push ups, Holly. Not recording them.

Steve ,

cool race what is the name it looks like something I would like..

Larry

Larry, It's the North Country Trail Run. Registration is open.

SteveP