Masters Running

Sizzling Saturdailies, July 20, 2019 (Read 39 times)

BTY

Good afternoon, Runners!

An off day so far for me.  I spent the better part of last night and this morning trying to get the front axle and height-setting linkage put back on my 8-yr-old Husqvarna mower.  Huskies are generally very well made pieces of equipment; I read that the average lawnmower lasts about 8 years, so when I needed to get both the front axle and the self-propel parts replaced, I had to decide if I could do it myself, and if so, at what cost, and then whether it would be worth it to invest the money and more importantly time (I'm handy, but not that handy) in a mower that may have already lived its useful lifespan.  Sometimes the large manufacturers of quality equipment (lawnmowers, tractors, snowblowers, etc) make 2nd rate items that are sold in the big box stores, like the one I bought this one from, relative to what their own dealers sell; I suspect that may be the case here, but the engine is a Briggs and Stratton and other than the two items mentioned, it seems to still work exceptionally well.  Happy to report that while I was really ready to give up at about 8:00 AM, I finally got it all together the correct way and it is once again a true pleasure to operate.   I know this is a runners forum and I usually am on the fringe posting about swimming and strength training, but I thought I would share one of my little victories that means, surprisingly, a lot to me.  :-)   I was able to get the front and back yard mowed before the mercury got over 95.  My #3 son is picking up a used car at a local dealer at 3 so if that goes quickly and smoothly, I may have a chance to get in the gym's pool before it closes at 5:00, and then some lifting after that.  Switching the sequence (swimming then lifting rather than lifting then swimming) will no doubt have some consequences on the resistance I can use on the upper body exercises but probably not on the leg machines.  Oh, and I'll be taking my little desktop fan with me for the shower and changing area.  I wonder if they'd let me take it out on the floor on a day like today.  I've never seen a rule against that posted. :-D 

Start hydrated and stay hydrated everyone!  Have a greta day!

Our power has been out since 2:15 am.  I’ve, also been awake since then.  I had to get up at 4:30 to get ready for a race with my granddaughter.  I did an 8k and she did a 5k.  She’s 17 years old and still wants to hang out with her grandpa.  My girls have some of the sweetest girls you will ever meet.

Yep. We lost power for a while this morning as well. And let me just tell you how lucky you are to have grandkids that want to hang out with you. My 3 grandsons are quickly losing interest in us, unless we're taking them somewhere fun or buying them something

I hope Joe is doing well!

Holly, you're too young to have all of these issues. Definitely see a doc about your thumb/wrist. You don't want that affecting your golf game!

Paul - loved the picture of the melting fan!

We've been dealing with some wicked storms here last night and today. DS#2 was camping with his girlfriend in the northern part of the state. He called last night around 10 to say they thought a tornado had touched down in the campground they were staying for the weekend. Lots of damage but luckily no one was hurt. He said there were so many trees down that most of the roads were blocked and they couldn't get out of there until they were cleared. He said he's never been so scared in his life. We had tornado warnings here this morning with wind gusts over 60 mph and torrential downpours. My tomatoes and herbs are done for

45 minutes on the elliptical this morning and 20 minutes of weights and core.

Hope the weather is better where you are today!

Holly/ I have the same thing with the bottom of my thumb. Doc said it was arthritis.  She recommended Advil.  It comes and goes.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

anneb

Joe- hope it’s going well out there. Can’t wait to hear about it.

Holly- my husband has recently been complaining of pain in that area too. He thinks it’s from his mouse/computer but probably some arthritis.

Super hot hot again today. 98 but feels like 110 currently. I ran about 5 earlier and hope to get out for 7-8 tomorrow when it’s cooler. We’ll see!

Stay cool everyone.

Anne

My friend Dallas Smith- and a running legend around these parts- finished the Vol State 500K.  That's 314 miles.  He finished today.  8 days 14 hours and some minutes.  They start at the top northwest corner of the state and run to down at the Georgia border.  It's insane.  You can do it uncrewed (referred to as "screwed") or crewed.  He does it uncrewed.  I think this is his third one.    He is 78.    They sleep on the ground, or can get a motel, but they have to get themselves on and off the route by their own power.  They have to carry whatever they want to have for the run.  They check in twice a day- 7:30 am and 7:30 pm.  I've been tracking him.  They do a lot of running at night since it is cooler.  But creepy.   Can you even imagine????  One of my other friends (female) is still out on the course but only has about 20 miles to go.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Joe - have fun.

I bet the ones you look back on first over the years are the ones with special challenges like today.

Marj left earlier, found me and kept spraying me with water.

. . .

The warnings mention the “healthy elderly” I suppose I qualify.

excellent

excellent.

Though it's obvious you qualify for "healthy,"

"elderly" still does not fit any kind

of image for that stage.

ps - BTY/Holly - how long does it take you to swim 440 yards in your pool lap swims. Over at the early check-in this morning for tomorrow's triathlon, I racked, to a gal who swims an open water half-mile in 22 minutes but 30 minutes in the pool  I'll ask her tomorrow if she does flip turns.

No action in the chickadee next to the garage regular door out to the back yard so I guess the chicks have fully fledged. I already miss 'em and detouring around to door to avoid disturbing mama.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Joe618

Hi all, thanks a lot for the many comments and well-wishes on my race today.

It didn't go all that well, but then again, maybe it did.

Three hours into it, my good friend and running buddy Jon who was also running (and we rode down together) texted me that he was hanging it up...he had nearly passed out in the heat.   Temps were up to 96F with a heat index of about 110.   Full sun and it was hot hot hot, with humidity.   When I got that word, I was half way through my fourth 5K loop and I had been reduced to mostly walking.   On lap 2, my HR spiked and I backed off the pace.   If I walked pretty much all the time, the HR was fine but that meant each 5K lap was at 50 minutes or so.   Plus, my left big toe developed a dandy blister, something I've NEVER seen before.   So, getting that text from Jon, and realizing I was getting no real training effect from the day, plus the fact my DW was genuinely concerned for me and wasn't wild about me running today, I texted back to Jon suggesting we pack it in and head home.   Took me about 20 minutes to get back to the start finish line, but I crossed the timing mat a final time, told the folks I was done and we headed home. 

Final stats:   20km (12.4 miles) in 3:17:28.   Barely a walking pace, overall.   Not even a HM distance in over 3 hours.  Yeow.  So, just as well to give the weather it's due, come home and be able to run tomorrow and the rest of the week. 

It's such a hoot...no matter how long you run, the One Big Factor for any race (or run for that matter) is the one thing you can't control...the weather!!  One more time class...

Thanks a lot, all of you, for your thoughts and well-wishes!  That warmed my heart (no pun intended) as I read the posts today. 

Enjoy your Saturday night. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Joe618

My friend Dallas Smith- and a running legend around these parts- finished the Vol State 500K.  That's 314 miles.  He finished today.  8 days 14 hours and some minutes.  They start at the top northwest corner of the state and run to down at the Georgia border.  It's insane.  You can do it uncrewed (referred to as "screwed") or crewed.  He does it uncrewed.  I think this is his third one.    He is 78.    They sleep on the ground, or can get a motel, but they have to get themselves on and off the route by their own power.  They have to carry whatever they want to have for the run.  They check in twice a day- 7:30 am and 7:30 pm.  I've been tracking him.  They do a lot of running at night since it is cooler.  But creepy.   Can you even imagine????  One of my other friends (female) is still out on the course but only has about 20 miles to go.

Karen, that is absolutely awesome.    Wow.   Have to look up that race!!!   Thanks.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

BTY

ps - BTY/Holly - how long does it take you to swim 440 yards in your pool lap swims. Over at the early check-in this morning for tomorrow's triathlon, I racked, to a gal who swims an open water half-mile in 22 minutes but 30 minutes in the pool  I'll ask her tomorrow if she does flip turns.

If I were to swim 450 yards of backstroke right now it would take me about 9 x :45 which is around 6 and a half to 7 minutes.  Butterfly- Joe would be done running 8 hours before I would be done with 300 yards 😳

Smart decision, Joe.   Did you see Norm out there? 

It's called the Last Annual Vol State Race (every year is called the "last annual").   It's insane. 

Tramps

Joe--sorry for the tough day.  Hard to imagine it going any other way in that heat. Glad you and your friend are okay.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Joe - totally with you on the thought that this was the smart move.  Nothing to be gained out there on a day this hot, and a lot could go wrong.  I was outside a few minutes ago for about 15 minutes trimming some shrubs, and it is currently 92 degrees, and came in drenched in sweat.  Now, after a shower, I am still hot.  Not the best day for an 8-hour endurance run.

We bagged the golf outing partly due to the heat but mostly because DD asked us to go to dinner with her and her BF - this has never happened before.  At 17, I think this is her first real BF, a boy she has known and been friends with for years, but this is the first we are hearing that it has become something more.  I think he is sweet and cute, and we had a lovely dinner.

Tet - I am slower than dirt as a swimmer.   It takes me about 2 minutes to do a lap (up and back for 50 yards).  But I am not in a hurry and take about 3 seconds to rest at the end of each length.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, fairly quick post.  Worked today and then ran before Mass.  Actually cooler in Montgomery, Alabama than most of the mid West and northeast.  Got in 6, showered at the hangar and went to Mass.

If anyone is following the Tour, today's stage was pretty epic.  In the Pyrenees Mountains and today's stage was a summit finish at Tourmalet.  The speeds those guys hit going UP the mountains is ridiculous.

Joe, nice work and smart move.

Joe/RunnerKSA, I'm in.  DW won't be thrilled but I kind of love it too.  Those may the guys )and gals) I saw while driving home from Scott AFB in Illinois a few years ago.

Have a greta night everyone!

Joe; sometimes the bear catches you (the weather playing the part of Bear this time)

You made a smart moving hanging it up. Did anyone die? Go to the hospital?

4 @ 7:56 this afternoon. Looking forward to a long trail run tomorrow.

Les Miz is now no longer a 12hr a day commitment! A couple pics from dress rehearsal. I should have some decent ones from performance eventually.

(07/17/19, 8:40:32 PM)

(07/17/19, 9:21:47 PM)

like my cart full of logs?

(07/18/19, 7:44:12 PM)

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

TammyinGP

9 miles for me this morning. tomorrow I'll run a few in the morning, but then heading to Ashland to watch my son play in the finals for a tennis tournament he's been in since Friday. May have to stop into Rogue Valley Runners to pick up a new pair of trail shoes also. Mine have close to 400 miles on them I think, so need another pair to rotate in.

Tammy