Masters Running

Thursday, April 29 - Get up and Run! (Read 501 times)

Wow - busy thread today and I'm late getting in. I think I'll stay away from any of the more "female" topics though.

Mary and TomS - Watch it! "Rochrunner syndrome" means you suddenly get faster, and then it all blows up you're slower than you were before.

Mary, I know what you mean about a kid coming home. My DS will be here just for a week, but I already feel a bit tense about it even though I really enjoy having him here. It seems like everything is OK with any combination of two of us together, but all three together gets stressful for some reason.

For myself, one of the best memories of my life was when my parents dropped me off for college and I watched them drive away. It's not that I had a bad childhood in any way -- quite the opposite in fact -- but I never have liked anyone telling me what to do and have been fully independent from then on (including earning my way through college). By the way, within hours of that moment I was drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette (fortunately gave up one of those habits along the way).

Oh yeah - my report for the day. I needed a day off so just went in and swam for a while without bothering to count laps, then worked out in the equipment room. I switched to Thursdays for my Meals on Wheels route, which neatly divided up the day.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

enke - can i join you in the pissy corner?   i am cranky cranky cranky ..... not sure why except that i didnt run yesterday and so far not looking like today either ........... should be good running days as i'm off for a few nights but yesterday was extremely productive with house cleaning, bill paying, book piling -- and today GOT BOOKS packed up and took away those book piles, had a great prayer group meeting, cooked a turkey and did some needed errands ........ soooo all in all productive just no running = cranky pants??

denise

Jeanne, wow, I guess that's one of the reasons your ex is your ex?  

Carolyn said what I was gonna say.   "Get a babysitter?"  I won't tell you what 7-letter word went through my head.  (begins with an "A"ends with an "e" and has a coupla "ss" in the middle )

Wannabe - Now you got all us women on our soapboxes!  If we have to, we'll come drag you to the doctor.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Sometime last year I think, I was having a really pissy day (not that I haven't had one since, it's just that this day is when this happened...). I was mad at everyone and everything. Everything DH and the kids did just pissed me off. Doesn't happen often, but I can really work up a mood sometimes. DS2 looked at me sort of sideways and says "Gee, mom, maybe you need to go for a run?" The way he looked and how he said it just cracked me up. Instant mood-lifter, but it was clear they've figured out what keeps me on an even keel.

I agree Jlynne, it certainly wasn't too much to ask. Good grief, you weren't asking him to "babysit," they're his kids for cryin' out loud!! Leaving one's children with their father so you can leave the house is not an unreasonable action. Good thing you got rid of that one.

I started working out regularly when our athletic club opened a daycare. Then my kids gradually could do things on their own (I'm one of those moms who left my kids in the pool while I worked out) or with their grandparents (DH's parents used same club). Then I'd work my longer workouts into the days they had other activities in the evening (cub scouts, youth group, etc) and eventually they were able to stay home alone for a bit, when their dad wasn't around. Those days seem like so long ago! Now at 18 and almost 16, they're pretty self-sufficient, and only want mom around when they need food or money.   Hang in there, Enke.

5.5 miles at lunchtime, including three at almost-tempo pace (Miles 3, 4 & 5 @ 8:09, 8:10, 8:11). That's it for anything resembling speedwork since Boston and before my 5k on Saturday. Have no idea how that's going to go, but the weather looks cool and cloudy with showers likely.

(delurking)

wannabe, a mammogram possibly saved my life.  13 years in remission now; woot!  But 18 views is ridiculous -- find another radiology clinic that knows how to use the machine.

hi enke!  OK to be cranky; I'll join in....(handing over a chocolate pretzel)

Maniac 505

Good run there divechief. Planning to do Tacoma next week?

Hi Mari,  I am doing Tacoma.  I will go to the Maniac reunion  Saturday, but I will skip the pasta dinner.

Dove says she is doing the early start so I probably won't see her.

I notice you are on the calendar,  any chance you will be there?

There must be 250 Maniacs signed up for this race.  The streets of Tacoma will be covered in yellow.

Hey Econo -Nice to "see" you.  Where's Woods Lady????

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I had myself a pissy day too.  I've been doing my job for something like 35 years and right now I am being micromanaged so much it is stiffling me.  I don't want to quit as at my age that might be it.  But I am very unhappy most days.  If they'd just leave me alone (within reason of course) I'd do the job just fine, thank you very much.

Anyway, today's general pissiness reminds me of something my DW used to say ... When everybody is pissing her off, she knows it can't be all of them, it must be her.

My DS and I spent many weeks just him and I when DW traveled all the time.  Most every week, many weeks for many years.  We loved the time together.

Econo, 13 years.  That's fabulous.  Happy for you!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

In a unrelated related topic..........there is also an increase in MALE breast cancer that often gets overlooked, hence part of the problem.   Most men don't know it exists and do not think about it.......

but it is there and needs to be considered if a lump etc develops in that area.....

I know...I know.....TMI ladies.

Vista
                    lamerunner

Greetings. {{Enke}} No idea why this is underlined, sorry!  Enke, I would push on the thyroid issue; it is very easily fixed once they get the right dose and you will feel so much better both physically and mentally.  I am sorry you are having such a frustrating day.  I would not hesitate to call someone to watch the kids so you can run.... if feasible. My DH traveled a lot when the kids were younger and we usually had a regular sitter because I was working but I remember being pretty worried about getting the runs in  ...I would also not hesitate to find another doctor.  Having said that, I confess I have been pretty inert about replacing a rheumatologist with whom I have essentially no good relationship.  When things are stable, it is fine; she writes the prescriptions and i go on my merry way. When things flare up though, I have noone in my corner.

This week generally has been frustrating for me too. School vacation week but both DH and I are very busy with work and our babysitter is leaving. She also is in college and does not have this week off. We have been patching things together with additional sitters, DD 16 helping and me running home for a few hours here and there but it is very hard.   I am nver quite where I am supposed to be.

Oh, and about running.... 6.5 miles early am.  Cool and clear. I intended to swim at lunch, and had DD drop meoff at the Y after she stole my car, but there was a sports camp so no swim... I also walked home from work as Dd still had my car... damn teenagers.

Hey Econo -Nice to "see" you.  Where's Woods Lady????

Well, Woods Man had a stroke and is recuperating.  It has not been easy for Woods Lady, our little forest sprite.  Woods Man is slowly regaining function and is in a rehab unit right now.  WL is keeping up with her running, even when she's out of town at the hospital. 

Just this week she figured out how to get from the rehab place to the river bike paths to go for a run at midday here in Eugene.  She also has done a 5K race about every 2 weeks, which gives her a happy and welcome break.  We go out to lunch (with BigSister) after the races to chi-chi places like Taco Bell.  Smile

Sorry to go on a bit here, but I'm awfully proud of her during this difficult time, and the running has been a really positive thing through it all.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

{{{{<Mr/MrsWoods>}}}}}

econo -brag about mama woodsie as much as possible.

No particular reason but does she like oysters?

enkie - maybe check out the Northwest Runner for running clubs nearby.

I bet if you go for a run with one of 'em, you'll find some babysit options.

Maybe ask at running stores too.

otherwise, sounds like it might be a good business in this econony

hurry up and get well.

maybe you can come to the Fremont 5K on 6/11?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)