Masters Running

Race Director report for Mill Creek Distance Classic (Read 411 times)

This was my 3rd year as race director and the 21 st year for Mill Creek Distance Classic.  The Classic features a half marathon on a very challenging course and a 5k.  I have yet to find an experienced marathoner who can run their usual marathon pace for this 1/2, Between the usually nasty weather conditions & the 19 hills it 's truely an adventure.  The highlight of the course is the park itself which an oasis in a old industrial rust belt city. 

The winter had been a harse one thus far with 24 days of snow in January and record snowfalls in February but the race sign ups had been average or a little above during the early registration.  A break in the weather one week out and a outstanding long range forecast lead to a surge of late sign ups.

We do packet pickup on Saturday & also Sunday morning before the race.  It was a beautiful weekend so 96 signed up for the race at packet pick up & 200 more on race morning. Total registrations were 683 breaking our previous mark of 619.  Half entries were 429 breaking our record of 390.  That's fantastic but the even better news was that I only made 2 minor errors whe entering them all in the computer Bettering my previous record of 4 errors.  

The race went off under sunny skies & 24F, easily the best race conditions in 5 years. Between the 2 races 625 runners crossed the finishline. My 10 course volunteers & 8 packet pick up & registration volunteers did an outstanding job.  DW coordinated the finishline w/ 3 helpers, 9 volunteers at the 3 water stops,  leaving me and 2 others to respond to the unexpected.  Everything went off with no problems & I heard no complaints,  other than the usual ones about all the hills.  Approx. $5,000 will be placed into our scholarship foundation.

Thanks

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Everything went off with no problems & I heard no complaints

That's because the RD did such a fine job. Glad the weather was great and the turnout even better. $5,000 is a lot of money - nice job, Sarge!

Renee the dog

Very cool!  Congrats on doing a great job for the runners!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

Nice job, Sarge, and congrats on the low-error PR! 

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

Great job, Sarge!  So glad you had good weather and happy runners.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Sarge... Excellent job!  It sounds like it went off without a hitch!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sarge--nice mistake PR.  I'm guessing that RDs are like umpires--people only notice them when they &$%# up.  So I imagine that it's nice NOT to be noticed during the race.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Great job, Sarge.  Congratulations on doing so well.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

My favorite kind of RR, someone giving back to the sport and doing a flawless job as RD.  Good for you.  Where is Mill Creek by the way?  Spareribs
                    evanflein

How Cool! A PR for an RD with low errors and record participants! Doesn't get much better than that. Thanks for doing this; all of us runners owe folks like you a debt we could never imagine. I've heard it said everyone should volunteer or direct at least once to get an idea of what goes on behind the scenes. Nice job, Sarge!
                      coastwalker

Hi Sarge,

Great job on the race, and for hanging in during the nasty weather leading up to your race. I'll bet there were a few nervous days before the weather started to clear! Congrats on the two new registration records, and also the new low number of input errors. I assume you are inputting the manual entries that come in before race day - it does get tedious, and some people's writing is not as clear as you'd like, so errors can happen pretty easily. Some races around here only have online registration (and no race-day sign-ups) to avoid the hassles and problems with manual inputs.

It sounds like you have a great volunteer crew, and that makes a world of difference too. Of course, it still all falls on your shoulders, so I hope you are very pleased with what you accomplished with your races this year!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

http://s425.photobucket.com/albums/pp331/rhart829/?action=view&current=Pavlik.jpg

Middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik and his corner guys ran the 5k.  Here's Kelly & I. 

Pavlick.jpg Pavlik March 7, 2010 picture by rhart829

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

huskydon

Great job!  The increasing number of runners is evidence of your good work!  Thanks for sharing with us!

Just think that because of all your hard work over 600 people had a fantastic race and experience.  Congratulations!!  Do you put a little alcohol in the water so it won't freeze?   Hills are good, they make you honest.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."