Masters Running

Lincoln Marathon - post mortem (Read 137 times)

selb3

First off, thanks for reading and responding to my Lincoln Marathon report. In response, at Lincoln when someone has finished 13 Lincoln Marathons, they get acknowledged as being part of the 'Lucky 13' club. So, only two more years, and I will a lucky 13er! The Lincoln Marathon holds a special place for me as it was my first marathon. Anyway, after reviewing my training, life and doing some deep thinking, here is what I have learned from my May 4, Lincoln Marathon, as well as recent marathon training in general. I reviewed training logs and results over the past several years. In general, my average marathon time for each of the last several years has been increasing. To what do I attribute this? Am I getting older? Of course, can't help that. Do I believe all my PRs are behind me. Emphatic NO! In a nutshell, I have been relying on plain running, overall good genes, and my luck at not getting injured. I have not in the past really followed through on incorporating disciplined speed work and tempo runs. As for cross-training, I have relied on basketball, racquet ball, golf and yardwork. I have been pretty good on getting in the long runs. What I have also noticed is that I am running about the same number of days, over the past several years, but the distances have dropped from runs of 7 to 9 miles to more 4-6 mile runs. Coupled with fewer races, has lead to an overall increase in average marathon times. How to change for the better. Lay out the plan, incorporate speed work and tempo runs. Stick to the plan! Supplement with some planned cross-training - biking, swimming, maybe some weights and core work. Cut down on the late night after dinner snack. Enter a few more 10k races. I will have to solidify the habit of more early, before work runs. I have the Daniels book on running, as well as the FIRST Program, and will adapt to my life demands. I believe it is not simply a matter of running 'more', but of running smarter, more focused workouts. My 18 week schedule will start in a couple of weeks, for the target fall marathon in Omaha, September 28. No that I have laid it out there, in cyber-public, will have to follow through! Wink Dave
    TomD

Good for you Dave, I will be at Omaha also. I believe my PRs are behind me, but there are still some more sub 4:00 in my future. TomD
      PJH

Good learning, Dave. I noticed your new planned x-training eliminates the golf ... I would have a tough time giving up that. Big grin PJ
        selb3

Oh no - golf is a given, it will not be relinquished! TomD - hope to actually see and converse with you in Omaha. I am certain you still have some sub - 4:00s in you. Dave