Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 12.14.17 (Read 40 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

stomach taper day - yesterday's 400 stairs for the first time in a long time since before October's abdominal rearrangement got everything puffed up again so I guess I'll stick to the flats for a while. Fortunately, both the New Year's Eve morning marathon around Green Lake and the New Year's Day Polar Bear Plunge along Lake Washington into which about 60% of the participating idio, . . . I mean runners plunge at the end of the run are both completely flat.

As to running, 7 miles on the treadmill this morning. That was your evening yesterday. I have a question. Since I ran today on my Thursday but coastwalker's Wednesday, should coastwalker report the run in this Thursday thread or tomorrow's Friday thread? Maybe both? Or neither since they are both on the wrong day somewhere?  I know, every day for a week! That is the ticket! 

Er-mao Jiao Shou: if the International Date Line blesses you with an arrival on the same Friday (as is possible from Japan), you can get credit for two TM runs on the same Friday on opposite sides of the world.  Maybe do as many Friday morning miles as you can before boarding and as many as you can after arrival.  Maybe even walk the aisles for extra credit too. Have fun.

I've never run at -20oF and never will.

I've never run at -10oF and never will.

I've never run at    0oF and never will.

I've never run at +10oF and never will.

I've never run at +20oF and never will.

I ran once at +27oF (in econo's famed redemption

run at the Valentine's Day Marathon in 2007

that featured Leslie's friend's MM qualifying mary)

and never will again, . . .

unless econo. leslie or any other

of the goddesses are there.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

Hey everyone. Late post. Ran early to get some stress relief before my meetings. 45 degrees and no wind. I could get used to Florida but alas I’m in the airport ready to head back to some chilly weather. Not Alaska chilly but still a lot colder than 75.

Hamg in there Deez. Sounds like the treatment center is a good place.

Welcome back Nancy

Karen - Arizona in winter sounds like a great place to train. You should visit and get out of the cold. But yeah kids can be complex. One of my boys keeps texting me different cars as a hint. Mercedes BMW Acura and so on. I keep telling him he can have any of those he can afford. Hope spring eternal. Gives me a giggle.

All this insurance discussion makes makes me feel blessed to have such good coverage through work. There has to be a solution that helps make insurance affordable. Hang in there folks.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Deez, best of luck to you and Justin and your whole family - hope things are improving for him!

When I worked full time, we both had insurance through my employer.  When I went to part time, we got insurance on the Obamacare exchange, and got a large subsidy which made it quite affordable.  Now that we retired, we're on Medicaid, because we don't make enough to get insurance with subsidies, and we're not old enough for Medicare. Colorado is one of the states that expanded Medicaid, and I really hope Congress doesn't cut it!

We got 2" of new snow overnight, and I just went and ran 3 miles around the block in screw shoes.  It rarely gets super cold here, even though it does snow a lot, so running outside is generally pretty fun in the winter.  We also get a lot of blue sky and sunshine, which helps.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

after a sick day and an unscheduled rest day, I thought I should put in some extra miles.

20k @ 8:02

So, I only need to 8 miles tomorrow to catch back up to my 5-per-day goal. Stick plugged up with sticky phlegm, not able to breath easy when running because I have to clear my throat and spit every 10-20 steps. But, another beautiful day in the mid 60's along the Bay Trail. I just worked around the house today so I could get out at noon and put in a run before picking up the kids.

Deez, hang in there, keep strong.

Insurance; a sore spot for me as I watched my $140/month $7500 total out of pocket PPO plan go to $860/month in just a few years, with higher out of pocket total and higher co-pays. And I didn't even USE it the entire time, except one check-up. Our healthcare and insurance systems are out of control. Good thing I'm going to be eligible for Medicare at some point, or I might be one of the 700,000 Americans a year who has to declare bankruptcy because of medical bills.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Question for the heart-rate trainers;

I received my new Polar M430 with wrist HR and have used it for a few runs now. I like the data.

According to THEM my HR might be high during running. I feel like I'm cruising along, a bit faster than conversational pace, but my HR is between 140-150. The average for my 20k run today was 147. According to the one-size-fits-all chart, my max HR is supposed to be 165. So, I'm running at about 89% of max HR, which seems excessive for a long run.

Do I believe it? Should I care?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

The one size fits all charts are useless.  I've been doing HR training (well, I don't always obey it) for many years.  It is important to know, or at least have a good idea, of your own max HR.  You can do this by seeing what it is at the end of a hard 5K or a series of 800s.  Obviously, a max treadmill test is the best.  Your max will actually change very little over your lifetime, and the max HR is NOT a sign of fitness.   Mine happens to be around 185 and my daughter's is over 200.   The sign of fitness is your resting HR, which you also need to know.  Once you know your max and your resting, use the formula that is found in the Maffetone materials.     Then you can calculate your HRs for various types of training.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, slept in this morning.  Then work was meeting hell.  Oh well.  Ran after work.  A decent 7 miles at an 8:15 average.  Now washing/drying/packing to head home.  This Saturday is our 28th anniversary but heading back for DS#2's graduation.  So if you don't hear from me tomorrow....I'm traveling.

Deez, you already know this....but persistence should pay off.  It took a long while to dial in DS#1's meds (behavior and seizure control).  Things kept changing and (like you) we stuck with it.  As you know, it's not like there's really a choice.  And the alternative(s) are worse.  Prayers continuing.

Surly Bill, a big +1 to what Runner KSA said.  The charts are not helpful, especially for someone in good shape.  There are a number of protocols/workouts you can do to determine your heart rate ranges for running (yes, your heart rate zones are exercise specific--I'm most efficient at running, then biking and finally spinning; never wore a HR monitor when fencing).  When I did my level 2 certification for spin it was based on HR training.  It codified everything I had observed in my own training.

Have a great night everyone!

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate all the support!!

Had my 2 granddaughters for the afternoon and evening. I wouldn't decorate my tree without them -- the 4 1/2 yr old was so excited she was able to put the ornaments ANYWHERE she wanted (said my grandma didn't let me do that - hehehe +1 for Nonna!!) --- the 1 1/2 yr old kept putting them on and taking them off!! It was a great afternoon!! They definitely did my heart good!!

Posai - welcome back!!

Leslie - hope its not a stress fracture

Garage running - sounds yucky, but I know friends in the DGAFAOTH challenge have resorted to that at times

Tet - you are too funny!! I wouldn't want to run in Erika's temps either, but today was 23 degrees when we started and I actually warmed up quickly!

Insurance premiums can be crazy!! I am fortunate the plan at the hospital is quite good for what it costs

RunnersKSA - hope your DS makes some good decisions as well

5.1 miles with the Thursday morning crew - was very therapeutic running with friends!!

denise

evanflein

Yeah, well I think Tet would find it a bit challenging running barefoot around here in the winter... 5.2 miles this afternoon, temps about 10° colder so the footing was better (not as slippery).