Masters Running

THURSDAY daily......June 17th.......Reports of run, fun and real life stories (Read 556 times)

Henrun

we biked about 30 miles thru RI and MA along beaches I didn't know existed.

i can't answer how henrun got his name, but i adopted mrrun from it (and sometimes even post under it)

as to brisket, we get wonderful brisket from costco and i cook it about 4 hours (until fork tender) and serve with a bbq sauce.  it's an old family recipe (from the NY times) that originated in texas, i think,  marj

Henrun

I got my name by combining henry and run-duh!

My name is boring, Back when my work started up a intranet we all were assigned a log- in which consisted of your last name and the first 3 letters of your first name thus Larry Hall   halllar.

Probably 1995 0r so and I have used it ever since.

I have never cooked brisket but  for no other reason than I just never think of it. I guess I'll give it a shot sounds a lot like cooking ribs slow and smokey. Maybe the 4th weekend.

3 miles 26:30 ish just easy and relaxing.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

For 21 years all day long I am THE SARGE , why change? 

Wannabe you are a runner because you wannabe & work at it, you did not get that fast by accident. 

5.3 miles at 9:20 pace & it felt very easy.  Mild  69 F w/ 7 mph breeze, a nice break in the heat wave.     

Down to Pittsburgh tomorrow night for the Pirate/Indian game.  Well someone has to win one 

Nice ride Henry & Marj    

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I look my best blurry!

Vista, I am so glad you brought up changing screen names, even though I doubt I will.  It was really fun reading how you all came up with your names.

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow!  

Marathon Maniac #957

as to brisket, we get wonderful brisket from costco and i cook it about 4 hours (until fork tender) and serve with a bbq sauce.  it's an old family recipe (from the NY times) that originated in texas, i think,  marj

Would you care to share the recipe?

I came up with my name in a very boring way.   It's my name.  I have no idea what I would choose if I was trying to say something about my personality.  Talks-Too-Much?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Here it is - chili powder/hot sauce etc. to taste. I've never used liquid smoke.  Enjoy! Marj

NY times 11/9/03Tim Boyd;s Barbecued Brisket

Dry rub:

2 ½ tablespoons chili powder (to taste!)

2 tablespoons garlic powder

2 tablespoons black pepper

1 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon dry mustard  

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 3-4 pound brisket, top cut, fat trimmed

for brisket sauce

1 cup tomato sauce

1 cup ketchup

½ cup strong coffee

½ cup molasses

½ cup apple-cider vinegar

½ cup Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon hot sauce  

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon chili powder  

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional) didn’t use

½ teaspoon onion powder.

make dry rub, combine ingredients & mx well, pressing with the back of a spoon to remove any lumps.

Rub the brisket with the dry rub and place in a roasting pan or casserole just large enough to hold it. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour at 350. (Grease bottom of pan or it sticks)  Add 2 cups beef stock. Reduce oven to 300. cover pan tightly with foil and cook brisket until fork tender, 3 to 4 hours depending on size.

Refrigerate over night. Remove fat, slice and reheat.  Heat sauce to boiling, then simmer 30 minutes. and serve.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My yesterday:

I spent the day first running 6 miles on a fog-shrouded sandy trail with my pooch and some friends, then helped a couple people with their aches and pains, then finally drove up onto the remote North Shore of Lake Superior, where I enjoyed fish and chips followed by strawberry rhubarb pie at Betty's Pies, and then walked, climbed, hiked, splashed and waded in and around the frigid creek and trails surrounding Gooseberry Falls with the dog, kiddos and wife.  A little dinner cooked over a fire and then to go fishing with the girls, Canadian crawlers in hand. We caught 4 fish by the way.  Bluegills.  3 inches long, each, except for the one that was 2 inches.  The kids could not have been more delighted.

I look my best blurry!

Happiness is beautiful!  Nice pics Trent!
                    Mariposai

. As long as mariposai doesn't refer to me as "roach" (or cucaracha?) for short, I'm all right.

hey sweetie, you will ALWAYS be my cucaracha.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Great pictures, Trent. Beautiful children.

Renee the dog

Wow --nice photos Trent! You must be very proud!

Well, got 2 of my 4-bys done...calf just wasn't responding too well to the icing after the second set of 2 miles...oh well, tomorrow originally had nothing scheduled, so I'm going to try to get another 4 miles loaded up.  Calf feels great tonight, which is a change, so I'm hoping as usual, this is painful, but fleeting aggravation of another body part!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Anyway........the name thing is JUST for fun.....I did not intend for name changes because I just know people by these names and the change would be confusing.....

I know you ALL.......as FRIENDS and running mentors.

that is exactly how i feel!!   love my online running friends!!

so my back has been really cranky!!  it is worse first thing in the morning and when i try to turn in bed - so weird!!

tonight had an awesome massage but the laying on my stomach part while she worked on my back made the turn over excruciating - i think it's time to see a back doctor......... in 2008 an MRI showed a slight bulging disc at L5 but i wonder if something's changed or if i just really need to work on more back strengthening/core exercises

anyway - no whining -- i used one of the gift cards from my birthday and FINALLY bought some  new sneakers -- trying Saucony this time around - tired of brooks...........ran 2.1 miles to the spa to check them out and they felt good.........sat in the steam room before and after my massage and had my oldest son pick me up when i was done!  so nice!!

now GOOOOOOOOOOOO CELTICS!!\

p.s.  Nice pics Trent - beautiful children!!     Hi  Tall!

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

happy graduation party mariposai

we wish we could sneak in the hug line with your happy DS.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - now THAT is quite the dress!

Trent - beautiful children!

{{{Denise's back}}}

Henry and Marj - thanks!  I've saved that in my recipe folder to try soon.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."