Masters Running

Wednesdaily, 5.23.18 (Read 37 times)

Henrun

Lots of Achilles stretches in my between PT appointments and much walking. Feeling more improvement as there is much less pain. Not even considering running until there’s a major improvement.

Jeanne, yes, aging is not for the faint of heart but vastly better than the alternative. When I was about to turn 80 my back was very painful  with sciatica, I was referred by my ortho to a physiatrist. That really worked for me. I still do back stretches and did yoga for several years which helped in addition, Don’t give up🏃‍♀️.

4 ez

why can't I stop myself?  Started out ez at 8:30ish, looked at my watch at about a mile and saw that I was going along 7:40ish and thought to myself,"hey, this feels really ez, I think I'll pick it up through the 5k mark" and dipped under 7:00 and at 2 miles felt my achilles start to squeal, and then this little piggy hurt all the way home. Even after slowing down to 8:30-9:00.

I think I'll set my watch to alert me when I go faster than 8:00. I wonder if I can set it to give me an electrical shock if I ignore it and go too fast?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

why can't I stop myself?  Started out ez at 8:30ish, looked at my watch at about a mile and saw that I was going along 7:40ish and thought to myself,"hey, this feels really ez, I think I'll pick it up through the 5k mark" and dipped under 7:00 and at 2 miles felt my achilles start to squeal, and then this little piggy hurt all the way home. Even after slowing down to 8:30-9:00.

When you figure this out, please let me know...it's the story of my running life.

Today, I went 12 miles with 10 at tempo pace...and, even though it got tough with 2 miles to go, no trickery was needed this week.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quite a bit of the work day lost to two meetings (and two after meetings).  On the other hand, this unit pulled together and took care of some things to assist some of our folks that are "busy elsewhere."  Easy run this morning, 4 miles.  Knee pain continues to diminish.  I'll have to be careful as I start to rebuild distance and speed.  I signed up for a large, Memorial Day 10k in Huntsville--but it's an event race.  Typically warm to hot and humid and has a ridiculously steep hill at the halfway point.

Fatozzig (and others), no doubt it's a strange situation for me and one of the things that active duty handles better than the reserves.  Upshot is that our transfer actions (any sort) take far too long.  Mainly due to the Civil Service bureaucracy.  The package for my "Management Directed Reassignment" (MDR) is sitting in the Pentagon at an office that handles Air Force colonels (active and reserve).  I've forwarded that information to my functional (the two-star that asked me to take this assignment) who I suspect will get it moving quickly.  Which is a relative measure!  I'd like to be here officially in early July but we shall see.  BTW, it is tradition (if not law) that a person can't command two units simultaneously.  So technically I'm the commander of the maintenance group in North Carolina, and I will until I'm transferred here officially.  At that point I'll give up the NC unit "flag" and assume the command of this unit.  So it's a situation I have to handle fairly diplomatically.  The good news for me is that the folks in both units understand and have been quite supportive.

Have a great night everyone!

spacityrunner

4.5 miles on West Mountain with the trail gang.  A large gang showed up today as the weather, while humid, was not stormy   Tarantula on the trail had everyone whipping out their phones for picture taking.

Trails Rock!

FKT = Fastest Known Time

A system of record keeping for popular or famous routes that are not official races.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mariposai

Mariposai--maybe I missed it...did you get the flooding you were preparing for? I hope it wasn't bad.

Thanks for asking. The flooding was bad, but not to the point of taking over a whole town. We are still at risk for another two weeks.

Holly, the Yakima River marathon is stunning. Wanna do it with me someday?

Today was a no running day since I had a the last day of the State Wide Homeless Conference PLUS driving 4 hours. What an amazing experience.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Has Emma returned, Evanflein?

Yes, she came back last night. She was very put out though, and took her quite awhile to relax. We locked the other kitties in a back bedroom till their mom came to get them. Emma is very glad they're gone.

Jlynne, it definitely sounds like nerve issues. You shouldn't have to suffer like that. Have you gone to an orthopedist who can image your lower back and figure out what's going on?

Our kids, especially DS2, really wanted a car when they turned 16, and then when they graduated. I said I'd get them the same set of wheels my parents got me when I was a senior. I still have my 10-speed Motebecane bike. Smile If they wanted a car, they could damn well buy their own like I had to. Other than that, we worked out an arrangement of borrowing the car and carpooling. This was with two boys in high school and competitive league soccer, cross country running, track and active social lives. It worked for us, but we do live in a rural area with lots of friends within a couple of miles who help with the carpooling and DH and I ride in to work together a lot of times.

5.5 miles today, got done earlier because of threatening rain clouds, but didn't get rained on. I'm taking the next couple of days off, and the weather forecast has just totally turned to crap. I might reconsider and go in to work for a few hours tomorrow...

SteveP

Jay - I'm glad there was progress.

(((((JLynne))))) - All I can off is to work it, don't push it.

Jeanne - please don't feel like you have to be running to post here.  We love hearing about the other things going on in your life, too.

HenRun _ I can't believe you're 80.

Today offered a lot of clean up. Of course. The sprinkler head would have broken regardless of who shut the door at the time, I still feel responsible. There's an estimated $6,000.00 in damage.I did use the opportunity to up-sell one customer. I told him the type of doors that he's been buying is the Boone's Farm of interior doors. I added that his preferred supplier has Mad Dog 2020 pricing. I asked him how much the hangovers cost him out of packet. We took apart a door from a different manufacture then did a compare and contrast. His first order landed across my desk by the end of the day.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, the Yakima River marathon is stunning. Wanna do it with me someday?

I will definitely put it on my bucket list!

Surly Bill - No one would ever ask me to help find the FKT of any course....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

See, Tramps?  You had nothing to worry about.

Henrun

HenRun _ I can't believe you're 80.

84 last time I looked at the calendar😎

Yea Caps!!

Tramps

Thanks for asking. The flooding was bad, but not to the point of taking over a whole town. We are still at risk for another two weeks.

Sorry to hear about the flooding but glad it wasn't worse.

Be safe. Be kind.