Masters Running

Terrific Tuesday, March 23 Runs, walks and the rest of the stories ..... (Read 465 times)

Tramps

Tramps- I was eating some goldfish crackers when I read the Van Gogh line, thanks for the mess on my keyboard. Have you considered a tic tac container? Or is the opening too small?
    You're welcome.   Actually, I did try a tic-tac container...right size, flip-top lid, DW had one handy.  Endurolytes just barely fit in the opening but, of course, won't come out easily.  And there's no way to tamper with the opening without destroying the click-shut lid feature.

CNY--I like the small altoids box.  I hadn't seen one of those before; I'll look for one next time I'm out.

I'll find something.

Tom--glad the hamstring's not bothering you.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Dg – glad everything went well.  Still, be careful now.

Henrun – Marg’s birthday is the same as mine.

{{{Slo_Hand’s sister}}}

CNYrunner – Altoids containers, heh?  My DS loves those, so I know we have some around the house.  Good idea.

7 easy-paced miles for me today (ave 10:13) in a windy 37°, followed by 50 push-ups and three 30-second wall-sits.

DS fell off his skateboard Sunday night and hurt his wrist.  It wasn’t bruised, only slightly swollen, and he could move his fingers and grip things, so I didn’t think it was broken, but when it was still hurting him this morning, I took him to the doctor.  They sent us for x-rays and called me on the drive back to his school to say it was broken after all.  He’ll go to an orthopedist Thursday for a cast, and stays in a splint until then.  His first soccer game of the season is tomorrow, but I’m not sure he should play, even though he's in a splint.

On the bright side, re the job, like Stumpy says, I still have my current job, which on many days is fairly pleasant, and, after all, I do get to have my RA time, which I would probably have to give up at a new job.  My primary reason for looking for a new job (although there are several others) is that my boss is 72, and she could decide to retire, or a sudden health problem could put me out of work unexpectedly.

Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

I use the S-caps for electrolytes and have tried several different containers for them. The Mentos gum packages work pretty well size-wise, as do the Altoids boxes. But by mile 15 or so the capsules are pretty beaten up looking, and I open the box to a puff of powder! Not exactly the effect I'm looking for. They seem to survive better in the zip lock bag, but I can't open that with cold or sweaty/sticky hands. Still looking...

I hope Deb is taking it easy.

Nono, I'd say it counts. Most kinds of housework are actually pretty demanding so can count as XT if you ask me!

I hate rest days. I especially hate an unplanned/unneeded/unrestful "rest" day. So, maybe I'll just call it an alternative activity day? Yesterday just got away from me between working overtime, missing lunch, soccer practice and parent meeting at 6, shopping for more bathroom stuff, fetching kids, cleaning up. Bah. I suppose I could've done a recovery type run on my treadmill... ha, no guess not. We've got shower base and tub surround boxes leaning up against it. Phooey. Oh well. It's a cutback week anyway, right?

Today the plan is a gym workout at lunch and a RAW. We'll see how that works out.

wildchild

Carolyn

Erika, where are you gonna put your TM when your downstairs apartment is finished and rented?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tramps - I used these and they work great:

Gotta scoot in and out pretty fast here, so no time to comment on a lot.  Just:

30 min stationary biking while watching "Law & Order:SVU," followed by an hour of core/strength.  Followed by a trip to the dentist, where I was informed I need a crown at the tune of $1300-$1600, and I have no dental insurance.  Crap.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Slo

Oh shit Leslie....that sucks. I'm up to 4 crowns. I like my Gold ones the best.

I want one!!! Just for my coins though.

Had a most excellent little 3 mile run (with 200ft hill), my best pace since my return to running.  There is hope.  I kept telling myself not to look at the Garmin but of course I did near the end.

To go with the roadkill theme, I saw a very lovely white cat off to the side of the sidewalk, dead.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Reading Tramps' description of his right hamstring makes me think that's a good description of my left hamstring.  Probably both of us should take a couple of days completely off to heal and probably neither of us will.  Perhaps we could swap legs so one of us had two good ones and the other two bad ones.  Whoever had two bad ones would have to take time off to heal and whoever had two good legs could keep running.  The trouble with that is whoever had Tramps fast good left leg and my slow right good leg would be forced to run in circles.

TomS

evanflein

Erika, where are you gonna put your TM when your downstairs apartment is finished and rented?

Probably in the garage. Our garage is so dusty in the summer and just dirty in the winter, I'm concerned about it getting all sorts of grit in the works. I know others keep theirs in the garage, but we have such fine silty dirt/dust here I'm sure it won't be good for it.

You guys remember Seemomgo? She's over at KR mostly now. But I remember her telling the story of running on her 'mill in the garage and getting too hot, so she'd open the automatic door opener and up would go the door, cool her off and then she'd close it. She always thought the neighbors would think she was nuts. I think that's funny, and can see myself doing that in the not-too-distant future. But then, by the time I'm in the garage it'll be warm out... oh well.

Enke, too bad about the kitty. I feel so bad when I see pets on the side of the road like that.

Leslie, I need a crown, too... have a badly broken tooth under an existing gold onlay. But I'm waiting till next plan year if I can (July 1) so I can use my flexible spending account, which is done for this year. I think it'll be my 4th or 5th crown. Bruxism sucks.

Elliptical and weights at lunchtime... hope the wind dies down a bit by 5!

Tramps

Reading Tramps' description of his right hamstring makes me think that's a good description of my left hamstring.  Probably both of us should take a couple of days completely off to heal and probably neither of us will.  Perhaps we could swap legs so one of us had two good ones and the other two bad ones.  Whoever had two bad ones would have to take time off to heal and whoever had two good legs could keep running.  The trouble with that is whoever had Tramps fast good left leg and my slow right good leg would be forced to run in circles.

TomS

Okay, that made me laugh.

Leslie--another interesting option; thanks!  There's such a wealth of experience here.

Be safe. Be kind.

Kimmie

Great run tonight with my group.   thought about making it a tempo run when I was running next to a guy who is MUCH faster than me, but then, I couldn't hold it.

So, 8 miles that ended up being easy with mile 2-4 on the faster side.

dg.

Okay, that made me laugh.

Okay, that made me laugh too!  Big grin

I'll catch up tomorrow.  thanks for all the good wishes & well timed admontions...  

(Kevin you made me laugh too)

Good one, Tom!

Ooh, the poor kitty.

The crown - eh, what's another doctor bill on top of the pile I'm still paying from my surgery last year.   My dentist loves me.  One time, when it seemed like I was having tooth problem at after tooth problem, I suggested pulling the lot and giving me dentures.  She just rolled her eyes at me.

Something interesting - 'cause I was complaining that The Hub takes lousy care of his teeth, but in the 23 years we've been married, he's only had one cavity.  She told me that women have more teeth problems because of their fluctuating hormones.  Great!   

Some sort of good news, though.  I talked to my "new boss" today, and it looks like two of my co-workers (who are also her secretaries) are willing/wanting to cut back one or two days each in the near future, which would allow me come on full time.  The only question is if and when I do become full time, will my boss be able to keep up with the work all three of us would be generating.  At least there I would be eligible for medical insurance.  That sure would be nice. 

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance