Masters Running

Monday 4/8/19 (Read 43 times)

BTY

Good afternoon, Runners!   I'm posting in between gym workout (this morning) and pool workout (this evening).    It's been a rainy Monday all day here, so lifting and swimming are two good choices for this weather - even if I were running these days.

I've been doing one-armed dumbbell exercises from about January 25 through March 25, and only started adding in some light dumbbell exercises for my left arm about 10 days ago.  Glad to report that I can now lift about half the weight with my left arm that I'm handling with my right arm, and no pain is being encountered during or after exercise.  A little uncoordination, for sure, but no pain.

Today was a chest, shoulder and triceps workout.   Tonight is a backstroke/freestyle workout, alternating those two strokes (6 sets of 450 yards each) and no rest between repeats.   Goal is 2700 yards (about a mile and a half) in 54:00.

Lap swimming is becoming increasingly popular at our pool.  Last fall there were nights when I was one of only two people in the pool for laps while the aerobics classes were going on.  Most of the time, it would be just me by the second half hour.  Lately we have been getting 5 to 6 people in 3 lanes, meaning, if I'm fortunate, 4 women in two lanes and me in another.   But last Monday I shared a lane with another man because there were 6 of s in all, and I was swimming into the lane marker around 5 yards from the end of the pool almost every time during backstroke.  Always concerned that I'm going to crack heads with the other guy so I'll cheat way over and then oops! too far.  So nothing personal to anybody but I hope a bunch of people decide not to go out in the rain tonight.     

I wondered if anyone would be willing to post a photo of my wife and me from our Historic Walking Tour last Fall if I e-mail it to you.   Any volunteers?

....Pretty Cool pfriese........

==========

...rainy all day here.....

Channeled Out the backyard to drain into the woods

and

..40-min x-bike.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Joe618

Mta: Joe618, I'm a compulsive pre-race weather watcher, too. But, you're guaranteed better weather for Boston than we had last year. I really don't have any tips or suggestion for your 1st Boston. However, be sure to pick up the official Adidas Boston Marathon poster (it's free). It'll have your name & bib number on it somewhere.It is one of my favorite souvenirs from Boston & I have mine from my 1st Boston Marathon framed in my man cave.

Paul, great photos!!!   Thanks!   And what a wonderful trip you had, wow.   Love those trails.   And fly fishing too...just about ready to get my fly rod out for the season but no streams here anywhere as beautiful as what you captured.

Thanks for the Boston advice.   Indeed, there is no way any weather could be worse than what you had in 2018.    Look forward to snagging one of those posters...I have a spot for it! 

So cool your running mojo is coming back, Paul!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Went on a 14.98 mile bike ride this afternoon (shoulda gone that extra .02!) and was totally chicked by my DW who was on her new e-bike! I even drafted off her as I was flagging toward the end. Actually it's all good since we can now ride at the same speed, go farther, not have her concerned about wind and hills, etc. And in a few years I'd predict we'll both be on e-bikes.

Nice pics Paul, and a nice meetup with Lori.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I wondered if anyone would be willing to post a photo of my wife and me from our Historic Walking Tour last Fall if I e-mail it to you.   Any volunteers?

Sent you a message.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Great pictures and trip, Paul.  Thanks for posting.

2 treadmill miles after work.  Was going to go outside but there was a raindrop or two and I wanted to watch the news anyway.   5.5 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Two miles - instead of driving the one mile with DW over to and then back from her dentist appointment, trekked over the top of the hill for timely arrival and did the same on the way back.

Cars - actually, ever since I got creased three times in 2014 by drivers stopped at intersections in the International District who seemed to be giving me to go-ahead to proceed but who came at me as soon as I started across, apparently after they looked my way and then the other way down the street and not looking back before pedaling the accelerator without double-checking whether or not I was still on the sidewalk.  Ever since then, instead of looking both directions, I do the first direction twice just to make sure.

Further, I don’t cross any intersections with cars either awaiting or approaching but pretend I’m on the phone or look the other direction so they will go on their way and I’ll have a clear intersection to cross.  If someone else shows up to provide safety in numbers, I’ll cross with them and often go out of my way to cross unobtrusively with an older resident with cane, walker, etc. while the cars stack up but sometimes they notice and say, “xiexie,” “càm ơn bąn,” “ gamsahamnida.,” “arigatou,” “etc.”

I watched absolutely none of the games this weekend ... but living in Charlottesville, I certainly got a recap at church on Sunday!

HopesMom - kind of like the last two minutes in football games or ninth inning in baseball, you only need to watch the last 8-10 seconds in basketball games nowadays.  With eight seconds to go, Virginia was behind by an apparently insurmountable five points but ended up winning the semifinal game by one point.  With a coach named Tony Bennett, I wouldn’t want to bet against them.

Roch - there’s so many e-bikes in Seattle now that on the one mile way up Fourth Avenue on the way to the Hot Chocolate Fun Run last month, some wag called out, “hey, a regular bike.”   Since I’m still riding for fitness and there’s no way i would consider an e-bike at this stage either, . . .  even if they gave it to me for free but it still kind of irks me to get passed with ease on the several long ascents along the way.  However, it’d sure be okay if it was DW and, like you, I hope it will be someday.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

spacityrunner

Spa--glad you're able to get out for some air.  I bet there a thousand little things a day that you now appreciate more.

Yes yes and yes.  I can't wait till I can fling this sling!!!

Met up with my running group and did a short slow walk on the trails that took me down a couple weeks ago.  It feels wonderful to get outside despite the massive pollen storm today.  Green and gritty was the name of the game!!!

Trails Rock!

Good to read I am not the only one that thinks/thought stepping off the curb to start crossing the street when the countdown clock is running is just fine. Also, that having done so, a car cannot just run through a red light, mow you down and kill you with little in the way of penalties.

Long day. It included a tour of an office building that is being renovated with my real estate students. I hope they appreciated the tour the owner gave them along with a discussion of strategy and costs. Then again, I would not make book on it. As to working out, an hour on the elliptical. Night all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good to read I am not the only one that thinks/thought stepping off the curb to start crossing the street when the countdown clock is running is just fine. Also, that having done so, a car cannot just run through a red light, mow you down and kill you with little in the way of penalties.

So strange - I was walking back to the garage from work with a friend and we were talking about this tonight. We crossed Longwood Ave with (which is pretty busy near the hospitals) with the pedestrian signal and the countdown started before we reached the other side and we are not slow walkers!!! How is anyone supposed to be able to cross if we have to be done before the countdown starts???

I woke up a little earlier than my norm and hit the gym for 1.0 miles on the elliptical followed by 20 minutes of strength/core. In the past I have showered at the gym then drove to work, but I decided to throw on a rain jacket, drive to work and shower there figuring the rain would make the commute tougher if I waited longer - it was a good decision and I made it to work in plenty of time to shower and pretty up before starting at 7am!!

Starting to get marathon fever - think I will drive in early tomorrow and run up to the finish line and back before work!!  Is anyone going to be around for Dr Robin's PARTAY this year?

denise

7.5 junk miles

I must be overtrained or still sick because running seems to take more effort to get going and stay going.

Further, I don’t cross any intersections with cars either awaiting or approaching but pretend I’m on the phone or look the other direction so they will go on their way and I’ll have a clear intersection to cross.  If someone else shows up to provide safety in numbers, I’ll cross with them and often go out of my way to cross unobtrusively with an older resident with cane, walker, etc. while the cars stack up but sometimes they notice and say, “xiexie,” “càm ơn bąn,” “ gamsahamnida.,” “arigatou,” “etc.”

OMG Tet; I do the same thing! I don't trust cars one bit, even if the driver waves me on. Past experiences. I have one or two routes I run where I have to cross a street, and if there's a car coming I just pretend like I'm turning around rather than crossing. There are many cars around here with hand-drawn signs in the window that say things like 'THE LEARNING DRIVER", and they will do crazy unpredictable stuff like come to a complete stop at an intersection on a main street where they HAVE NO STOP SIGN but the cross street does, and then wait for the cross street driver to go. Or not. Or maybe. You can never tell. The best strategy is to avoid them.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, raining this morning when I woke up....I'm a rule 1 scofflaw (and today would have been great temperature-wise) but I was more tired (work stuff after drill, one of our reservists rolled his vehicle on the trip home--he's ok--and a couple of other things).  So after work I got in 5 then went to teach spin.

I'm not a bitter and resentful Auburn alumni who can't understand why referees selected for the FINAL FOUR don't know when to call double dribble......oh, wait....maybe I am bitter and resentful.

I tell people (runners and bikers) that I do know the laws of the road.  I also know the laws of physics so I can wait.  Especially as cell/smart phones became more prevalent.

Joe, enjoy the taper!

Thanks for the start Steve!

Have a greta night everyone!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

... living in Charlottesville, I certainly got a recap at church on Sunday!

with comparing players to Jerry West and Oscar Robertson of my youthful era plus the Beatles "Help" on commercials, whole game was pretty good this time too.  Interesting big difference between then and now is that then you aimed straight to the basket but now the most shots are high-archers to come straight down from above into the basket so the tall players can't so easily stop it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Look at the cool meet up between Paul and Lauri. This is why I love being part of this group so much. We are a big family.

Twocat, I wish I was part of the tour today. I know I would have learned a few things from the presenters.

BTY, I am looking forward to seeing your pictures. I think you have a volunteer to post it here, if not, send me a private message here.

Tramps, did you read my post about the cool lecture about butterflies of our area I attended last Friday. It was a great lecture. Now I have a guide book to start identifying butterflies during my hikes.

Holly, mariposai hugs. I hope your mojo is back soon.

As for me, today is my scheduled rest day from running. I went to the gym and worked out with the personal trainer there for over an hour. I came back home with some serious leg and hip workout schedule Smile.

I am stating to get excited about the Boston marathon!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard