Masters Running

Friday's (yay!) Daily: 2.7.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Nice hotel TM 10K, C-R.

Excellent way to get an honest answer from the doc, Ribs - not that I'm surprised that you'd come up with a great approach. Hold on to your wallet when you're getting all those hugs.    BTW, didn't someone else say "If I had a hammer...?" Or did they sing it?

Welcome back, Tramps! I'm glad you got in a sunny 7 yesterday.

Cats have very effective ways of letting you know when they want something, don't they, Leslie? I'm glad you got yourself out for a sproinky 8, and that you got some RAIN!

I'm glad you ultimately got some core work and running done, Dave.

Sounds like a well-spent day yesterday. Marj. I'm very glad you are enjoying your retirement (yep - more than 4 letters)!

Good ups and downs, NHLA.

Great work in the snow, CNY. More than my hip flexors would have been screaming after that workout!

Congrats on getting the tough work done, Mike!

I hope you get outside for a run today, Deeze. Don't want you going stir-crazy.

Congrats on getting the added insulation, Evanflein. Our plants always seem to suffer if they don't have some snowpack to hide under for a good chunk of the winter. I'm glad you got in a good 6er, despite the snow and dark.

Good return to the "nail" reference, Tet.

You've got 7 days to nail that last line, Steve. Mike has a good suggestion.

Have fun with the new smart phones, Holly! Just don't take them to Sochi (where apparently everyone is getting hacked).

I had some very productive meetings yesterday, even though not all went the way I wanted them too. A key bridge will definitely still be under reconstruction for our half in November, and the city didn't like our proposed alternate route. We have another idea, but it will involve busing everyone about 4-5 miles to an alternate start. And we'll have to get approval for that from the State and another town. I'm glad we're starting this process early!

6.7 RW miles at about 4:15 this morning. Most of the roads are clear of snow, except the lesser-traveled side roads, so I stayed away from them. The further I went, despite the fact that I was working pretty hard, the colder I got. It turns out that the temp dropped from 14 to 10 while I was out there. I always think that, because it is morning, it should start to warm up a bit. But not till the sun rises, which is still at least an hour or so later than I finish up. So it goes.

Looks like Tammy & son are the only ones racing this weekend, so they get all my best wishes for speed and smiles.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Quick jump in to say...  3 on the basement treadmill and now its time to go visit my other daughter down in Chicago.  6 hour drive.

The Tallahassee race was one of the best organized and executed races I have ever participated in.  Look at what they posted on Facebook this morning:

"THE LAUNDRY IS ON THE PORCH - If you threw off clothes at the start, first or second aid stations that you did not pick up at the track, it has been washed, folded, and is on the front porch here at 527 East Call Street. If you were a volunteer who did not get a shirt but you would like a runner's shirt, please contact us at tallahasseemarathon@gmail.com. If you were supposed to get an award and did not pick it up, we will not ship but will put it out for you on the front porch to pick up"

They have what appears to be a nice, friendly running community down there.

Mariposai

Good morning Jay and Dave and all those who will follow.

Jay, ohhh kings of meetings! that was a good 6.7 miles in such cold temps. I am getting a little wimpy this winter, anything colder than 20F and I am hitting the TM. I guess mainly because I found out that my asthma is happier when I don't expose myself to very cold air.

Dave, enjoy the drive to see  your other daughter. Good TM miles for you btw. That is impressive about the marathon organizer. I think I have a few things to learn from them as an RD for a new half marathon race we are putting together here for the spring.

Well last night was 16F when I got home from work, so on the TM I went. 11 miles total with 4x800m at 5k pace and 3x1200m@a little slower than 5k pace). with 400m intervals. I felt good the whole time, as good as one feels during speed work.

I delivered two workshops at work yesterday, 3 hours long each and it did a number on my vocal cord ( I was not well hydrated as I normally would be) so today my voice is gone and I still have one workshop to do this afternoon. What to do? We don't have a back up for me for the one I am teaching this afternoon.

2 recovery miles on the TM for me this morning.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - Excellent recap.

Dave - that does sound like a friendly race...

Mariposai - nice TM intervals!

(-3) here again this morning.  More snow predicted this weekend.  This grows tiresome.

3 miles for me this morning on the TM, followed by 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Posie Lady - Lots of throat lozenges and gargle with some warm salt water.  Hang in there!

Loved the poem and the closing line.

Ribs - You couldn't get us to quit hugging you and praying for you even if you paid us.  . . . . well, maybe if you paid us.   (PS - I love the direct question back to the doc.  I will have to remember that!)

Thanks for the recap, Jay.  And good luck on all that permitting business.

Re the cats - they're cats are killing me.  I don't know what their individual problems are, except I got woke up every hour starting around 1:15, and this has been going on for a couple of weeks now.  Someone got the boot around 3:00 or so, and around 4:00 there was hissing, etc., and I got up to find a large raccoon on the back deck.  I sorta kicked at the door then went back to bed.  Shorty wanted him chased off, so he got up and did the deed, then left me alone and let me conk back out 'til 7:00.  Needless to say, no workout this a.m., but will do a minimal one after work, then 16 wet (100% chance of rain) trail miles on tap for tomorrow in the Community Forest for the first time in a really long time.

Here's another fun video of the inaugural Sean O'Brien 50/50 Trail Run in Malibu, CA, that occurred this past weekend.  For me, it just added another layer of itch to run a race!  One of the racers, Sally McRae is a frequent guest on my favorite podcast, Trail Runner Nation.  At the end there are a couple of guys who tie for 6th (I think it was 6th), and I can almost guarantee you that they ran a lot of the race together, knew they weren't going to win this race but each would win a slot in Western States, so they agreed to finish together in a tie.  Why do I know that?  Because that's what the trail running community is all about and why I love it so much.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Thank you all. Didn't mean to sound ungrateful, but when you all hug and pray, it makes me feel like I'm headed to the grave already. I'm just trying to keep you updated on what I'm learning.

TIL ("today I learned", an abbreviation they use on Reddit), that the seed implants are not as effective as I was led to believe from the book I read. Just goes to show how careful you have to be.  Unlike the heart, which is larger and more stable in its position within the chest cavity, the prostate is small and slides around. Accordingly, sticking a needle with radiated seeds into the gland is a slippery task and the implants are often inaccurate.

The oncologist told me the safest procedure is the daily (or Monday through Friday) radiation procedure for 8 weeks. And in answer to my question about "How would you advise your own dad" he said he would advocate the 8-week program, and cited a statistic I had not heard before: patient remorse.  In other words they ask patients later on how they feel about their decision.  Remorse by the group selecting the 8 week program had a one-half of one percent remorse rate.  Pretty good.  Still more research and appts. to do.

But enough of that.  8.1 miles, 27 degrees, but no wind today. Very pleasant. Spareribs

Just something to add re the daily radiation route, Ribs - When my MIL had radiation treatment for her breast cancer, one of the side affects was she got really tired, would just feel drained.  With your extended research, this information will probably show up, but just wanted to throw that out there.

I'm suppose to be working, aren't I?

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Good Luck with the race modifications and proposal coastwalker! I think most runners have no idea about the planning and detail work behind the scenes of every great race.

Another clear blue sky and sunny day here in the 413. It was -9º this morning and I was grateful that my running plans were at 11 am with one of my younger zippier teammates. She has a one year-old boy who is one of the cutest babies I have ever seen. He just learned to wave and was waggling enthusiastically---chubby hand visible over the baby gate as one of his grannies took on baby watch while we went running. 10 miles on crunchy snow at 8:06 pace.

TIL---great acronym! I know lots of men who contemplated the radiation seeds method and then chose a different treatment. It’s so good that you are researching all the options Ribs (not that this surprises me) and that you are so close to world class treatment facilities too.

Happy weekend all.

Ribs - great info learned today!!

CNY - that was a zippy run!!  Can't wait to see you again at the Jones 10 miler!!

Jay - you continue to impress me with your early morning workouts!!

Posai - strong treadmill workout!!

Holly - enjoy your new phone!!

I was so happy my day also allowed me to wait until noon to hit the roads ....warmed up to mid 20's with the sun shining brightly!!  I managed to find some down to the pavement streets altho had to go on one fairly major road to do that.  Today's plan called for a 3/2/1 tempo so I did 1 mile warm-up, 3miles between 8:26-8:35 paces, 1/4 mile recovery, 2 miles not so zippy 8:52 each, 1/4 mile recovery, then a determined last mile at 8:14 followed by a very easy 1 mile recovery to give me 8.5 for the day.  Tomorrow my 12 hour day shift will be my "rest" day then long run Sunday!!

Have a wonderful weekend my friends!!

denise

C-R

Hey all. Quick post after my 10k lunch run. Will run with kiddo again tonight. Brrrrrrrrr. Glad we are running indoors at the track.

Good lick Jay. Government bureaucracy moves slooooooooowwwww. Hope they get things right for your race.

Nice CNY.

Be safe on that drive Dave. Some real doofuses out there right now.

Great videos Leslie.

Hey Holly - ins't there a trail ultra in your neck of the woods in summer?

Ribs - I will continue to keep you and your family in our prayers. Having been through similar circumstances with DW twice it will all help. No hugs but I will give you a fist bump. Keep that info coming as you are correct about having this happening with frequency out there.

Good TM run posai.

Good stuff for the conditions Denise.

I am sooo tired of winter already. I would like to be able to complain about summer heat now.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Good lick Jay.

I don't even want to know . . . .

This video is making the rounds on the 'net.  What an incredible thing to witness live!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey Holly - ins't there a trail ultra in your neck of the woods in summer?

There are several very nice, well organized, and inexpensive trail ultras around here, put on by the Ohio River Road Runners Club.

May 3 - Tie Dye 50K at John Bryan State Park in Yellow Springs. (I've done this twice but won't be doing it this year because I'm doing the Flying Pig.) Cost: $25.

June 7 - Another Dam 50K in Englewood - I plan on running this again.  Cost: $15 - no shirt; $20 - with tech shirt, if you finish; $25 - cotton shirt plus tech shirt if you finish.

June 28 - Dawg Gone Long 50/50 - 50k/50 miler at Caesar Creek State Park in Waynesville.  This is the first year they have offered a 50K option, so I may run this one this year.  Cost: $40 with shirt.

September 27 - Germantown 50K - I will probably do this one again, too.  Cost: $15 - no shirt; $20 - with tech shirt, if you finish; $25 - cotton shirt plus tech shirt if you finish.

We have a very comfortable sectional sofa if you need a place to crash the night before...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

[[[[[RIBBS]]]]]]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

sorry,

having ImplseControl Issues

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

I don't know why I just thought of this, but Enke, a while back weren't you  looking for a 50k for your 50th  birthday in January?  So I guess we missed your birthday!   Happy 50th, and welcome to an awesome new age group!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.