Masters Running

The Tuesday Daily, 3.28.17 (Read 38 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - that sounds like an awesome trip!  And yes, having kitchens, even primitive ones, are so much better (and cheaper) than eating out or out of a cooler.

Re: end of life documents, I think so many people just put it off until they "get old" and then never get around to it.  But what I tell people to remember is that you never know when you will get hit by a truck, so you should do it now, and you can always update them every few years.  My SIL was an emergency room nurse, and she would say, "People are always worried about cancer, but what I see killing people every day are car accidents."

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

is this the same gal who worries about her nose?

Jay - On the West Coast, as opposed to saying "wicked-poor night's sleep," we say "slept like crap."  Well . . . at least I do.  I get accused of using that word too much, especially the expression, "Holy crap!"  "Poo" just doesn't have the same bang and the other word isn't polite.  Although that's the one cuss word my mom would use when she was really mad.  And then my dad, just to get her goat, would say, "Yualene, I wouldn't have in my hand what you just had in your mouth."  Yeah, that didn't go over too well. We could also tell when she was really mad 'cause she'd head to the kitchen to do "something" and start banging cupboard doors closed.  You didn't want to go near the kitchen at those times, but our house was really small and you had to go through the kitchen to get anywhere besides the living room.  If you had to go to the bathroom, it was best to just hold it and hoped the storm passed fairly quickly.  

The Hub and I have decided on a trip for our 30th anniversary this year.  We're going to take 16 days and explore WA, staying in vacation rentals: Moclips for the 3 days, on Whidbey Island for 4 days, in Packwood near Mt. Rainier for 3 days, then spend 5 days getting home.  We'll be headed to territory neither of us has been to before, so it'll be nice.  The rentals on Whidbey Island - Whoochee!  We finally found a place where the daily rate was actually palatable. I talked to the owner this morning who wanted to be sure I understood the place was a cabin and not fancy at all, which is just fine.  We only need a place to have our coffee in the morning, watch the sun set in the evening, and lay our heads at night.  By staying in vacation rentals, we'll be able to make most of our own meals without living out of an ice chest (which is what we usually do), which will be a big savings.

Leslie - we'd like to do that too.

However, give me a PM about the chances,

if any, of watching the sun set in the evening.

ps - any chance of any or our famed

trail races working out?

Tribee - as you know and I am sure are addressing,

the transitions are the easiest places to make up

for those missing seconds, and minutes.

I love to calculate how much further down

I'd be in the overalls if I had to put-on/change, etc.

shoes, socks, etc.  I wish they had rankings for the transitions

I could usually win with ease until the elites' started perfecting

their flying mounts with shoes already clipped in,

Fortunately, few others in those days could do it,

or want to take the chance.  Do you?

Joined tramps in breaking rule no. 1 again

for five miles but better than TM'ing

which I will never do.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Today is a day off from running so I pushed some weights around for little while.  Now, I have to get to a meeting at church.

That's it!  See ya!

tetsujin209 as Yoda famously said, "There is no running in the rain. There is just running after it stops." Look it up! I followed Yoda's advice, waited for the rain to stop today and put in 6 miles.

fatozzig I will second the awesomeness sounding of that trip!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

spacityrunner

Awwww Leslie I thought you were coming to dig for diamonds   but that sounds like an awesome trip.  We rent cabins for our weekend hikes and some of them are uh..pretty rustic.  But we love having a shower/kitchen/comfy bed to sleep in.  You will love it!!

I am finally creating a trust, getting POA's trying to decide what to do with my meager estate in the event...but as my trust atty said...we hope you bounce your last check   I have been wanting to do this for 10 years now and just getting around to it.  Should have it completed by mid April. Some of the decisions are difficult to make but for years i worried what would happen if... Get it done folks!

3.1 speedy miles at lunch under moody skies.  Predicting some violent weather for us beginning tonight but mainly tomorrow late afternoon into the evening.  I did not want to go run, and forced myself out the door.  And now I feel alive again...

Trails Rock!

dg.

marj...  I'm really sorry about your exBIL and extended family....  a painful situation made even more difficult.   thanks for the PSA.

I need it to hear it too... I don't have anything ready.   am working on getting through all of my 'stuff', I know that's not the most important part  but ... someone else has to go through it!   all of it.   eek.

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, but it's worth knowing ahead of time is that POA ends at death... at least as far as I know.   I had it for my dad, but when I really needed it it was useless.   At least, (speaking as a non-professional!) have someone else as a signer on your checking account, or have it be a part of your trust, if that's possible.

Tet, thanks... I'm glad that you're still running too.

Leslie that sounds wonderful.... so glad for you two.

Nancy, what a beautiful picture.   and what a zippy 20 miler!    I hope your marathon weekend is a lot of fun.

enke  (hi!!)  what will you do at your new job?

Mike you are very fast.

Jay ...   well, then, your definition of a glimmer is different than mine   ;   ).   thanks so much for what you put together every morning!  

ok, folks,   making a stab at keeping up just a little.....        today just a 45 min. walk and some pt exercises.   I'm supposed to start new pt on the 18th, & I'm trying to fix as much as I can ahead of time.   seems it will be more efficient that way.      and yes, I know, I should have been  doing them all along.   

TammyinGP

5.1 miles for me tonight. actually 4.4 at the park, but then the dogs were SO excited when I came home and smelled of "running" that I couldn't deny them some fun too, so we did a bit on the hometrails which gave me 5.1 for the day.

Tammy

Regarding estate planning - Yes, a durable power of attorney ends at the death of the maker.  If you don't want a specific account to be in your trust or you don't want a trust, you can have someone be the beneficiary of the account.  Most banks/financial institutions call it a "Pay on Death (POD)" or "Transfer on Death (TOD)" account.

I don't know about other states, but in CA having a trust in place is a lot less hassle and involves less expense at administration time as opposed to a probate.  In CA, the attorney fees and the executor/administrator fees for a probate are identical, are statutory, and are based on the value of the estate.  Doing a trust administration is usually hourly.

Tet- I will PM you.  If I don't - remind me!!!

Okay - Off to bed.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

End of life documents, please don't procrastinate in doing yours as soon as possible. My papa died in less than a month of being sick and let me tell you, having to grieve over his death and deal with his state at the same time is brutal for the heart.

Believe me, this is not a fun place for your loved ones to be when they have to deal with pain of your death as well.

I have mine spell out, but I need to work on the "celebration of life fun run/BBQ dancing part " of my wishes. .

Ohhh, speaking of wisher, I did get my wish of a few smile miles after work today. 4 miles at tempo, 3 easy.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard