Masters Running

40's on the Run -- Week of 1/13/08 (Read 678 times)

Since the general consensus was to start a new thread, here 'tis! I don't have anything brilliant to say, and haven't run since Tuesday thanks to the cold that keeps on giving, so I'm counting on the rest of you to really get us going for the week.
    Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

A sucky 3.1 into the wind going out, better coming back. Busy week ahead here.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Just got back from 8 mi - perfect day for running, 49F when I left. Smile I stopped doing low heart rate work (13 weeks was enough of that for me) and now I'm going by the "talk test", which for me is the "singing to myself test" - people probably think I'm nuts! Also started mixing some hills in and just trying to keep a steady pace on them, which is making me a little more sore than usual. I plan to sign up for the Disneyworld marathon this week, just looking at the weather today for this year's M and they got a heavy t-storm just when the course was closing (7 hrs)! Hope everyone got done safely. Crazy Florida weather! Arla

Ex runner

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Since the general consensus was to start a new thread, here 'tis! I don't have anything brilliant to say, and haven't run since Tuesday thanks to the cold that keeps on giving, so I'm counting on the rest of you to really get us going for the week.
          Cold? In Texas? How bad has it been? I grew up in Texas but have lived in Maine for 20 years. I like cold weather, so I'm in the right place, lol. So far this winter, I've had to resort to the treadmill only two times. Hope it warms up for you! Teresa
            I started my week with a comfortable 7 mile recovery run. It felt good and I had more left at the end but 7 was enough.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

R2, better a half sucky run than no run Smile Good luck with your busy week. Arla, your run sounds great! Disney looks like lots of fun...something to look forward to and keep ya going. Who cares what "they" think....sing away Cool Teresa, ha!!!! Nope, I'm not that much of a wuss re: temperatures. I'm talking cold virus, not temperatures. Really nice running weather here right now if only I could stop coughing and snorting. rgreen, you must be putting in some serious miles if you are using "7 miles" and recovery run in the same sentence. I see you have a marathon coming up in Feb. Glad things are going well!
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Carol - Oh, now I understand, LOL. That's too bad - cold temps are much easier to deal with! DH has had a cold for the past week, and I told him I'd better not get it!! Get better soon! Teresa

jfa

Nice start to the week folks! 12.2m for me this morning.Starting a marathon training plan today for May's Jersey Shore Marathon.Have yet to sign up for it.Chicken, I guess.I think after 2 weeks(and my first run over 14miles),I'll have a better idea whether it's wise,or too much.My parts will tell me if it's possible. Undecided Told the dog that I'll be possessed by someone else for the next 3 hrs.G-men vs. Cowboys,things are about to get nuts around here! Shocked

50 halfs by age 50

I plan to sign up for the Disneyworld marathon this week, just looking at the weather today for this year's M and they got a heavy t-storm just when the course was closing (7 hrs)! Hope everyone got done safely. Crazy Florida weather! Arla
                    yep, last runner crossed the line before the storm. Unfortunately, the cold front gave us a 67 degree start with 90% humidity, though it was a bit cooler than last year's marathon. Being the 15th anniversary, the medal is humongous! This was my first but I'm not sure I'll do another. I found out last month I have a weird problem with my ankle (two bones are fused together...likely born with it) and I may just not be able to tolerate that kind of distance. I think I'll go back to half marathons. Maybe do Disney full every 5 years if they do a special medal. Of course, I keep hearing this marathon addiction is like childbirth...you forget the pain and keep racing!

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

BTY

It would be great if someone archived one of the earliest threads over on CR, when all of the 40's started posting on the Newbies forum. Man, everyone has come so far, in such a short time. You're all running circles around me. I ran 4.5 today at lunchtime. I figure I'll run 4.5 every day that I run and that'll give me 18 miles for the week, about a 9% increase over last week's total. We (Albany NY) were supposed to get a few inches of snow today, but it's not sticking - kind of like the late fall snows we get here, not winter ones. The snow didn't really effect my run except that I wore more clothing than I normally would for 30F, and it got wet and heavy, so the last 1 to 1.5 mile was more effort than it should have been. Total time: 43:00. About 9:34 pace. Good runs everyone. You should all be so pleased with your progress! Brian

Top 'O the World!

Hey all! No run for me today..going for a doggie walk here shortly....still pretty droopy from snowboarding yesterday (woo-hoo!!) 1st time up in about a year-ish...cruisin' blues w/o any issues Smile...however my DH "fell off the mtn!" Shocked so he's feeling a bit like the Cowboy's today....ie: a bit squished!! Amazingly, I haven't had even one cold since I started running!?!? Have a great week everybody!!
                        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

so he's feeling a bit like the Cowboy's today....ie: a bit squished!! Big grin

Very funny re: the Cowboys Tongue. Poor DH couldn't sleep last night after watching that miserable excuse for a game. Way to go on your Disney Marathon Chimera! Did you post a race report? If not, we want details! BTY, you are right about everyone's progress. Incredible! Not to worry though, you have company. I seem to keep having to start over. Except when I start over it's slower! Mtnchk, we need more info on hubby falling off the mountain. What was that about? My hubby claims I tried to kill him when he last skiied with me (some 15 or so years ago). I talked him into coming down a short stretch with some ungroomed powder, and he wound up buried up to his stomach in the stuff flailing his arms like some crazed beast. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of laughing hysterically. Not good for marital harmony! My cold seems to be better, so I went to "Gentle Flow Yoga" class today. Sheesh...it doesn't seem all that gentle, what with my cripled pidgeon, trembling warrior, plank of jello, and depressed dog poses. I'm pretty well convinced that I am the least flexible female on the planet. Only the guys seem to be struggling more than me. Yes, I know, comparing myself to others is somehow unzenlike, but what else can I do when I'm taking a break so I don't go into a full body cramp? I cling to the thought of the end of the class where we just lie down on the floor, breathe, and clear our minds. I can do that! Planning on a short run tomorrow with Katy the dog.
                              Good runs all. Unlike Brian in Albany, the snow did stick here in Mass. -- a little more than a foot at last count. So it was a treadmill day for me, 5 miles in 43:30 at 2% incline. I have this habit when on the TM of thinking where I'd be on my favorite outdoors routes at each mile mark. Does anyone else do that? Chimera - congrats on the Disney marathon. I noticed that Arla is considering it for next year. Sounds like a fun race, but the thought of crowds makes me nervous. I ran NYC in 2005 and the logistics of getting to the start, etc. were just too much.

Queen of 3rd Place

Carol, your "cripled pidgeon, trembling warrior, plank of jello, and depressed dog" poses - crack me up! I do 'em the same way! Stiff like the guys! Oh well, maybe it's a runner's thing. Hope your cold clears soon. Chimera - congrats! I'm impressed, particularly how you got through that sticky weather. Sorry to hear about your ankle issue - what's up with that? Never heard of something like that before. Still - got pics? Ah ha - I see we have some other marathon trainers around here..well, I can't really claim to be training for a marathon yet, just trying to do consistent 25+ mpw basebuilding. I miss football - we have a TV-free household, but oh how I suffer during football season. Sometimes I sneak out to the local brewpub to watch their tv, but then I eat too much and those brewpub beers aren't exactly light. Roll eyes Arla

Ex runner