Masters Running

Wednesday, 7.6.16 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

So, Mariposai starts a week of letting her body recover from some strenuous hiking with an hour of boot camp?

Tet, winter is definitely the best time to take a long trip with a trunkload of lobsters!

Nice running in the 50s, Tselbes.

You really fit it all in on the 4th, Enke, from hill-rolling to butt-crashing. I'm glad you all (and especially DD) had a good time.

Good luck with the surgery, RCG. I hope it is as easy for you as it was for your friend.

I'm glad your back was in a better mood, TW. Keep humoring it so it'll be happy when you go on vacation.

Nice "slower than dirt" (yeah, right) 22-miler on mountain trails, WC. Trust yourself and your training for your upcoming race.

Evanflein, it's good to be able to look back to determine what caused what ails you. I do that all the time too, but I rarely learn from it. You are a lot smarter than I, so you'll do well, even in the race on the 24th.

Holly, did you get an answer to that voicemail??

Nice 16-miler in H&H, Twocat. I would'a wilted in a major way. How come I didn't get lobster rolls when I was on the Rosie crew?

Haller, I do most of my workout about an hour after you head out for work. I much prefer being closer to Tom's 50 degrees than to your 87.

This morning, I woke at 3:15 - too early, so I rolled over and slept till 5. Too late for a workout, so I read for a little while and then got the day going. No meetings or company today - there must be something wrong! But I do have more to get checked off at the office than I have time for, so it won't be a lollygagging kind of day. It's going to be 90+ this afternoon, so I'm really excited about finishing off the day by mowing the lawn when I get home.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Hi all!! Miss catching up here - wifi awful in campground but seems a little better today!

Jay thanks for the recap - really helps me feel a little connected!

I have been in Maine since 6/23 and loving it!! Going home Friday for an evening wedding but then heading right back up until I have to work 7/13. I have never had this much time off for vacation and I am enjoying every minute! We had a full camper here with family and my precious little Maria - lots of fun beaching and boating! I miss seeing the new baby Nina and hope to get my paws on her for awhile Friday! Her mom wasn't feeling great so the 2 of them stayed home for the weekend.

Running - well sciatic nerve/piriformis muscle still an issue but I am getting in a bunch of short runs as well as biking and doing my PT exercises. Still haven't gone to a MAT but both my chiro and PT gave me exercises that are supposed to activate the glute muscles (apparently I have a lazy a** ☺️) and work the hamstring muscles, and strengthen the back. We'll see!! Walking after my runs is actually more uncomfortable than the running!!

Hope you all are having a good summer and I am going to try and read back as long as this wifi stays connected!! 😘😘

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

This morning, I woke at 3:15 - too early,

Whew!  Glad to hear you set some boundaries there.....

Deez - hiyah!  Enjoy your vacation!

I ran today!  Just 2 miles, nice and slow.  My calf was slightly tender during the run, just barely, but there were no after effects (aching all day after, like it was doing before).  Then I did my PT exercises.  The PT did call later and told me I could start running, but only up to a mile each day, and he wants me to do tempo-ish intervals, rather than just one pace, during these.

Okay, back to my hectic Wednesday....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, it's good to hear you got out for a run with no ill effects.  Don't try to come back too fast.  Nice long (real long) runs for wild and Twocat.

This morning, when I went out, it was in the mid 60s and almost calm.  I've been feeling weak and groggy the last couple days and woke up feeling the same.   I hoped that once I got started I would shake it off.  It felt rough from the start and wasn't any better after a mile.  I ran another mile and then walked two more and called it a day.  My Garmin sort of freaked out on me but I think I saw a pace of 11:30 something when I quit running.  I've felt halfway decent since I showered and ate breakfast so, hopefully, I can get back to normal.

A good day and good runs for all/

TomS

Dave59

I ran 4.3 very humid miles this morning.  Then I came back and ordered 2 singlets from Road Runner Sports.  I need to have more exposed skin for cooling or I am going to collapse from the heat, but I don't dare go shirtless and risk arrest for indecent exposure or just scare the other folks out at the park.

I'm working from home today. Off to the side of my desk, running on my home PC, I had the Tour de France playing this morning and soon I will have the Wales vs. Portugal soccer game going.  It provides a nice distraction from work.

Henrun

Another 2.5 jog/walk around the reservoir early this morning before the heat arrived. Still knee pain but not severe. Tomorrow I see another Ortho to assess the need for knee replacement. However, there's been a steady improvement since My shot last Wednesday.

This weekend we're heading to Stowe Vermont for a club "flag race". Although it's only a 5K I'm not sure if I can do it (even walking it) with the persistent pain and my present lack of fitness. But I'm looking forward to a Saturday meet-up with Aamos who'll be running a marathon nearby on Sunday.

evanflein

And just for your viewing entertainment (and to totally kill workplace productivity), I bring you the Brooks Falls Bears from Katmai National Park. You're welcome.

...Big Wonking ThunderStorms today......

got in another 3-hour cleaning session at the Student Center

which causes me to wonder

if you CAN actually be Too Clean

============

...40-min PoolRun before storms hit

and

power's been off for a couple of hours

but

at least the BackYard's Underwater

so that Rice Paddy I had been meaning to plant is off to a good start

...................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

5.79 slow and easy miles this afternoon for me.  10 minute mile pace.

Holly, glad to hear you were able to run today. Hopefully the recovery will be swift.

Erika, great live cam shot. I could watch that for hours . Can't help it but they remind me of the Berstein Bears .Probably not as nice though.

Tomwhite, send us some of that rain. We are dry as ................well we are very dry.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

mrrun

And just for your viewing entertainment (and to totally kill workplace productivity), I bring you the Brooks Falls Bears from Katmai National Park. You're welcome.

Thanks - I forgot how much fun that was last year - and start all over again!

Ran 4 + this morning, then spent several hours washing pottery, glass, bones/shells from the Malcolm X dig.

Happy runs/walks to all!

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - Love the bears!  The nice thing about having two monitors is that I can work in one and have the bears in the other....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I could watch that for hours .

me too.

One of the benefits of getting old is getting reminded that some things, such as the Brooks Falls brownies, don't, staying the same as they were during memorable summer employments there in ‘62 and ‘63.  If anything, there’s a lot more bears feasting on the anadromous migrants now than then.   Another benefit is being part of this RA running group that I’ll celebrate by a five miler evening ‘mute back in the sun since it didn’t work out to do one this morning, . . . and it's supposed to rain for the rest of the week.  Thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

You're welcome. I love the Bears.

5.2 mostly easy miles tonight. Felt OK. Not great, but not bad. We'll see how it feels tomorrow morning. Sure felt good to be out there again though, if you know what I mean.

SteveP

Deez, happy Maine stay!

HooRay for two Miles!

TomS, I hope you snap out of it.

Erika, I've saved that link the last time you were kind enough to share.

Bogged down in paperwork. For the life of me, I never thought that would happen. I'm absolutely not complaining.

At 7:30, DW called. The neighbor's (DD#1 and tribe) chicken coop was raided by a fox.  All 9 of the chickens were gone. I told DW to take the dog to help look. I looked up and by the time I got there, Tag had found 3 three hens apparently unharmed. He sniffed them out and flushed them while DW, DD#1 and Noah (GS) round them up. We found one injured but alive. DD lost it when she found a dead one. Tag and I found what I'm guessing to be fox tracks.

SIL finally got home from a 14 hour day and joined the hunt. Right away, he found a live on and took her home. Tag comes trotting back with a white hen in his mouth. DD lost her **it and freaked out. The dog freaked out, dropped the hen and she bolted/ flew into dense jack pines.After a good deal of working our way through the poking and scratching branches, Tag and I flushed her out into SIL's grasp. It was after sunset, but still dusk when we called off the search. Two cluckers unaccounted for.

DD caught a glimpse of one more along the garden fence! She and Noah round it up and brought her back to roost. Eight out of nine accounted for. There is little doubt one wound up on the menu.

I spent a good deal of time scrubbing pine sap out of my hair and pulling needles out of my underwear. The dog sat with and accomplished pose in the center of the living room panting heavily. After he caught his breath, Tag enjoyed ice cream reward and was very pleased with himself.

SteveP