Masters Running

Mid-holiday Friday Daily, 12.28.12 (Read 326 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

shadow runner I find doing run/walk intervals in that kind of cold to be pretty tough.  How do you avoid getting chilled during the walks?  If I am lucky I will probably be on a walk/run/walk regime for a few weeks and was thinking it would all be on a TM.  My walks though are going to be more like a mile instead of 2 minutes or so.

Twocat, Shadow Runner was right, and the way to avoid getting chilled during walks is to walk faster! Two easy things that can help facilitate faster walking are to keep your arms bent at 90-degrees (for a shorter, faster 'pendulum' than with straight arms), and keep your stride relatively short. Over-striding impedes, rather than improves walking speed. Don't worry - I won't recommend that you do the straight-knee or the hip-rotation thingees! I hope your walking is helping, and that you can get back to full-time running soon.

Tramps, nice story about the older couple yesterday. A sense of humor helps at any stage of life.

StarrRuns, sorry about the queasiness yesterday. I hope that's the last of that for another 10 years!

Sorry about your GD, Jeff. But I'm glad it is short-term, and that she'll be home in a day or so. It's always tough when kids that young get sick.

Greta story about the helicopter show, Holly! We met a helicopter pilot a couple of days ago - maybe we should introduce her to your DD...

Yesterday's heavy rains turned to sleet and a bit of snow overnight. There was too much frozen slush and ice on the roads this morning, and I know I would have been slipping and sliding all over if I ventured out. So I stayed in and did stretches and core exercises. I even brought out the textured foam roller so I could create some real pain. Big grin

Have a great Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Hi Jay. Bummer about the weather.

I overslept this morning and could only get two miles for my AM run.  Oh well. I can make it up tonight.

Hope hints are better for shadow and Jeff's GD.

We have some helicopters in storage for DS birthday at end I month. OH boy.

Make it a great one. On the fence for a 5k tomorrow. What do you guys think. Roads are clear.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tramps

Yuck, Jay, that sounds like a mess.  I think we're getting something similar tomorrow morning, which will mean pushing my long run to Sunday I guess.

C-R--5K for fun?  Why not?  I just signed up for one on New Year's morning, which should be...uh...interesting.

EZ 7 on a chilly morning.  If this keeps up, I may have to get some long running pants out soon.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

delicate flower

Good morning!  I hid from the weather again yesterday and treadmilled 11 miles.  More treadmill today, but only because it's speed day and I do my speed workouts on the treadmill.

Someone brought donuts in today.  This is a real internal struggle for me.  My stomach says, "Yummy!  Have a donut!", and my brain says, "If you eat a donut, it will leave your stomach feeling like shit."  What to do?  #firstworldproblems

<3

Slo

C-R 2 may only be 2 but it's still 2.

I won't get a 2nd run in. If I do it'll be after 9pm and likely a light head due to beer.

7 miles this am.

It's Friday. It's a four day weekend for me. We have company coming for dinner tonight. A Schmitty Christmas gathering Sat and Sunday. Mon and Tuesday are mine...all mine. Taking the snow bike out!

Dave59

4 miles.  15°.  And I managed to overdress. Roll eyes    Add me to the 5k list.  Mine is Monday afternoon.

Have a great day.

Wow what a hectic week this has been!  Lots of fun with a pretty good sized snow storm to battle on my first day back to work.  After plowing about 6 inches of fresh snow from my driveway yesterday morning, I drove to work (28 miles south) and it was absolutely pouring rain in the town I work in.  It raied all day until later in the afternoon and we got about 1-2 inches of slush.  However, back at home it snowed all day into the evening and I had to plow my driveway a total of three times...YUCK!  I just really don't like the snow anymore. Joking

I got in a nice 6 mile progressive run on the treadmill (had to get home to plow so I shortened a planned 9 mile run)

9:00 - 8:53 - 8:36 - 8:23 - 7:47 - 6:59 (49:38 - 8:17 avg)

Drake - I was having some issues with tight calf muscles and found that calf sleeves gave me immediate relief.  I have some made by "ZENSAH".

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to run a 5K on New Year's day, the weather isn't looking too bad...just cold which is certainly to be expected.  And no more snow after a few inches Saturday night into Sunday morning so the roads should be relatively clean, we'll see.

Have a great day everyone. Smile

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!  I want a helicopter!  I see those guys in the mall all the time flying them around--I just figured I'd break something.

After sitting on the runway for over an hour, last night, waiting for the plane to be de-iced, I had a very nice flight to Fort Myers, FL.  My daughter picked me up and brought me to Marco Island.  We got here about 1 am, Mikey was still up, and very surprised to see me, and we stayed up until 3.  Of course my granddaughters are the cutest little babies ever.

Eric called me, this morning...he slid off the freeway and into a ditch on his way to work, this morning.  I just got a call from Ryan telling me that he went there, called AAA, who came and pulled him out, and he's on his way to work.  All is well.

Yeah, so Bill--how close are you to Marco Island?

I agree--that old guy was hilarious.  I hope I still have my sense of humor when I get older...heck, I hope I can remember who I am, when I get older.

I don't know why I've never bought a foam roller...I should get one of those...hmmm...foam roller or helicopter...

Do the 5k, Norm.

I've done speed work on the treadmill--it's brutal!  Have fun, Baboon!

Enjoy your 4 day weekend, Slo--it sounds like it's going to be a fun one.

Over dressed in 15o ...that just doesn't sound possible...but I've done it, too.  Not lately, though--my hands stay so cold, it makes me cold all over.

Okay--that's it for now--I should go do something.

Yeah, so Bill--how close are you to Marco Island?

Other side of the state.  Ft. Lauderdale area.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mike E

MM #5615

Other side of the state.  Ft. Lauderdale area.

Bill

About 2 hours away--Dang.

King of PhotoShop

Breger makes that stuff up.  He's actually only 15 minutes away from you.

Jeff, hope she gets well soon.  Tough when infants are sick like that.

Holly, I loved that helicopter story!

Tselbs is always shouting out to everyone else on their good runs.  I have to say I doubt I would ever suffer through 9 miles on a TM.  Well done Tom.

8.2 for me today in nearly ideal conditions:  mid-40's, still, and overcast.

27 years of wedded bliss for the Saint and me today. Well, for me at least. She hasn't said anything today that had the word bliss in it.  I think we're going to celebrate by going to a movie this afternoon.  I'm voting for Quentin Tarantino but we'll see.  Then the whole Rib Cage will go out to dinner.  Spareribs

My stomach says, "Yummy!  Have a donut!", and my brain says, "If you eat a donut, it will leave your stomach feeling like shit."  What to do?  #firstworldproblems

. . . . . I ate the donut.  And I have no other excuse because I bought it myself. Black eye

Holly - Your daughter is a crack up!

Okay - I was wide awake at 4:00 and the cats wanted to be fed and The Hub was ignoring them, so I got up.  30 min of stationary cycling (it's been awhile since I have been acquainted with that seat. Shocked), followed by about 45 min of strength training while sitting on the stability ball and core workout with the ball and on the BOSU.  Am doing modified leg strength training that doesn't require any standing.   . . . . I'm already bored with this routine and it's only been one day. Yeah, that's right, I'm still throwin' myself a pity party!  My hands hurt from the crutches, I'm sore where they rub near my bra line, and I've succumbed once again to crawling around on the floor to get things done.    . . . . . Okay.  I feel much better.  Thanks. Smile

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

27 years of wedded bliss for the Saint and me today. Well, for me at least. She hasn't said anything today that had the word bliss in it.

Yeah Ribs, we know.  The Saint is secretly weeping quietly thinking about the other guy she said No to ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Happy Anniversary, Ribs!!  (sorry - missed that one before with my scimming. Blush)

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Yeah Ribs, we know.  The Saint is secretly weeping quietly thinking about the other guy she said No to ...

Bill

This reminded me of a joke I heard just this week:

Husband takes the wife to a disco.

There's a guy on the dance floor giving it large - break dancing, moon-walking, back flips, the works.

The wife turns to her husband and says:

"See that guy? 25 years ago he proposed to me and I turned him down."

Husband says:

"Looks like he's still celebrating!!!