Masters Running

Monday May 5 Runs and Rests (Read 43 times)

Mariposai

A Spareribs news,  he is going into surgery right now for a kink in his vowel. {{{spareribs and the saint}}}}.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Or his bowel.  Maybe.  But not completely sure.

From Ribs' FB Page:

Now don't go nuts but here's the news. The bowel is not functioning because it has a kink in it and it has to be repaired. In two hours I'm going back into surgery and they'll straighten it out, a simple procedure. But we have a solution and I feel good about this.

And yes, all the appropriate kinky bowel comments have ensued!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Kinky vowels... heh, who knew? 

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

don't tell him I said so but it it's going to befowel anyone,

it might as well be Mr. Stickler.

good luck ribs.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

(((Ribs)))  Take care, friend!

We had an early morning rain shower but the day turned out to be gorgeous!  DH and I had our ballroom dance lesson, had a late lunch, errands. Decided to run later in the day, about 50 degrees, 7mph wind, partly sunny.  Ran around my neighborhood which is half paved, and half dirt, YAY!!  Kept to the dirt portion as much as possible.  Finished a nice, easy 4 mile recovery run.  Rain is predicted everyday this week but the temps should remain tolerable, "it could be worse" ........

Marathon Maniac #957

But not really a surprise, eh?    (sending love and prayers Ribs' way)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Poor Posie...poor Boston Qualifier-Personal Record-Posie!

I wish I had the time to say everything I would like to say.  I think about the accomplishments of this group this weekend and I just shake my head.   Seriously--you guys are amazing!

I did a strength run, tonight.  2 mile warm up in 15:49.  4 x 1.5 miles in 9:51--9:47--9:46--9:42 with a 1/2 mile recovery between each in about 4:00.  2 mile cool down in 16:35.

Okay--that's all the time I got--see ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Poor Posie...poor Boston Qualifier-Personal Record-Posie!

At least she has the iphone to blame.

I guess I could blame my dimming eyes for mine.

what's your excuse mykey?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

vowel, bowel, it's not much different, right?

Aamos.....wow, that was beautiful.  Thank you.

Meeting Leslie was one on my highlights this weekend.  What a sweet, funny woman.

I haven't even checked my race results yet.  My pace goal was....well, didn't even get close.  I did the first 6.5 miles as an easy run, not knowing how I would feel for the second half, given my very low weekly mileage the past few months.  The second half I tried to run harder...and it was a net uphill, don't think I negative splitted it (my goal), but close, and I succeeded in achieving the first goal of every runner "do no harm".

I haven't raced a half marathon since September 1, 2008.  Wow.  However, I did do a 10 race that December.  Still, that was over 5 years ago!!!  Then lots of life intervened, I lost a year of running, and the road back has been marked with many potholes.  Some of those were just not avoidable.  The last two or three years I have always had one or more chronic injury like things, keeping my mileage low (metatarsal pain, super tight Achilles and calf), unable to ramp up and get back to where I was in 2008.  Plus, those extra 15 pounds!!

So when I put this all into perspective, just finishing the half yesterday should be good enough for me.  Especially since I ran Thursday and Friday leading up to this, a high mileage week for me relatively.  My legs felt pretty dead early into the run.  But I got through the race without any metatarsal pain, knee pain or PF pain (yeah, that's a new one, the past few months....minor, but always lurking).  So I guess I am happy (kind of).  Wow, just checked...... a NEW PW by 1:42!!!  Beating out my very first half marathon in 2006 and the one I ran in 2008 when it went up to 80F by the end of the run!!!   I so not rock!!!  

But the race weekend was absolutely awesome!!!!  I love RA masters!!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Orchards, giants, . . . we've been devouring every word.

However, where're you guys goin' next weekend?

SteveP

AamosY, your bird story cracked me up. Tag's been had not been feeling well so I took him to the vet on Sunday. The Dr assured me he was on the mend and simply needed TLC and a bland diet for a few days. As usual, after the visit, we walked through the pet store and he is interested in most of the other animals there. A rescue group had cats up for adoption. Most of the cats came up to Tag and touched noses through their cages.  One tiny fur ball (maybe two months old), jumped from the far end of the cage towards him. Hissed and spit. Everyone laughed at how scared Tag got and he would not walk down the rest of the aisle.

This morning, he refused to drink. I even made some chicken bullion. He had a sitter today. As soon as I picked him up, he started acting his normal goofy self. Drank quite a bit. We stopped at a small lake on the way home and he had fun exploring. As soon as we got home, he was back to the odd behavior again. Not eating or drinking. As sensitive as he is, we've started wondering if his feelings got super hurt and he's afraid that we're made at him. Extra TLC is on the order. I told him that we'll look for a race this Saturday.

SteveP

Mike E

MM #5615

I so not rock!!!  

So not true.

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh--hey--when Ribs gets his vowel unkinked...will he be consonant again?