Masters Running

Wednesdaily, 7.25.18 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Only here would someone be happy with a diagnosis of a torn hamstring. Take it easy and heal well, Twocat.

We've got an early rain shower that I'd love to send to Tammy, if only there was a way to do that.

5.25 RW miles in early morning warmth, dense fog, and mist. Way to muggy for me, and I had to back off before I finished 'cause I wasn't getting enough air. So it goes.

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

SPUNKY57

Spunky57

Hi Friends! I have a 6:30 meeting every Wednesday morning. I always have good intentions and set the alarm but rarely do I get a run in before the early meeting. I will run 4 miles after work.

CW - Enjoy the rain. Nice job on the 5.25.

anneb

I’m on staycation the rest of the week, yea! Which means I ran at 7am instead of early- same route as yesterday so 5.8 easy miles. Tomorrow we’re going to the cubs game. Today, looking at some doors for new coat closet, may hit up driving range later and should get to gym to lift.

The weather pattern looks to change to cooler for the end of the week and I see some lows that approach 60!? If only 🤞🏻😂

Twocat, all of the back and hamstring stuff can definitely be related. I had a major back episode back in late 2014 which the sports doc always said was related to tight hamstrings (QL strain- still shudder thinking about that). I don’t think I ran for a couple of weeks but started back really slow after that. It took months to really feel better though. I hope yours is an easier fix!

KSA- glad the dry needling seems to be helping.

Anne

Thanks, Anne.  Running is actually SO much more comfortable than sitting (especially in the car).  There were a bunch of wrecks this morning and my 22 minute commute took almost an hour.  I was in the least comfortable of our cars since my truck is in the shop getting a new front bumper due to me hitting a pole in the work parking lot.      3.2 miles this morning which felt hard.  I'm tired from building my miles back up and from my butt exercises.  I'm sure having needles stuck in my hamstring didn't help in terms of overall stress levels.....

Have a greta Wednesday, y'all.   Anne- enjoy the staycation.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

4 humid miles in the park this morning.

We have a cat that comes up to you, acts real nice, rubs against your leg, and purrs. So you reach down to pet her and on about the 3rd pet, she lunges at your hand and takes out a pound of flesh. Then she purrs and rubs up against your leg again. She has turned me against all animals.

I finished watching a show called "Hidden" on Acorn TV. It is the type of show I enjoy. Detective show in the Great Britain area. This one was Welsh.  But after 8 hours, you get to the end and feel like justice isn't done. The real news is already bad, I don't want my entertainment to mirror real life.  Shetland was the best of the crime/detective shows I watched recently. Hinterland was pretty good.  Hidden was slower developing but despite the ending it wasn't bad.  (Shetland is on Netflix and Acorn, although Netflix is a season behind.  Good show if you are bored.)  You can subscribe to Acorn separately or as an Amazon Prime channel.  I also have Britbox.  Yeah, it's a lot but Acorn and Britbox are like $5 a month so it's ok.

Anneb - My low back is one of the things I want to talk to an ortho about to see how it might be involved in my hamstring issues.  Even though I've told every single practitioner I've talked to that I have had 2 bad falls in the last 20+, no one has suggested that could be part of the problem, except that it "may" be the reason my pelvis gets off kilter. 

Tammy - I saw that the race is canceled.  Not surprising.  There are worse and more important things to deal with at the moment.

KSA - What kind of butt exercises are you doing and how often?  And Bob Hearn is looking good at Badwater!

1 hour of core/ST this a.m.  Things are a bit tender, so I think I need to be nice the next day or so.

That's about it.  Back to the trenches.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

We have a cat that comes up to you, acts real nice, rubs against your leg, and purrs. So you reach down to pet her and on about the 3rd pet, she lunges at your hand and takes out a pound of flesh. Then she purrs and rubs up against your leg again.

I have a couple of clients that are just like that...

Dave - I liked Hinterland.  DH and I have been watching The Killing on Netflix, but it says it is only available until 8/1/18, so we are sort of rushing to get in the last season.

Anneb - staycations can be awesome.

No run for me today - I didn't sleep well last night and opted for more zzzz's instead.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I have a couple of clients that are just like that...

Right?!? 

I went out on a walk when I was visiting by buddy in Portland.  Came across a gorgeous, friendly cat.  Let me pet him, rubbed up against my legs, purred, etc.  As soon as I stood up to walk away, he got "a look" in his eye, attacked my ankle (not bad), ran a short way up what I assume was his driveway, then stopped and sauntered around like "heh heh heh."  Crazy cat.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Leslie, I figured that decision was coming and had already made the decision myself to not go even if it went forward. The air is just so bad right now.  

no change in my status, which is a good thing. although I'd certainly welcome them taking us off Level 1 evacuations because then that would mean that have good control of the side that is pushing in my direction.  I guess the one good thing through all this is the lack of wind we've had, which is not normal. Normally, we get some pretty strong winds up in the mountains late in the day and this time we haven't. Which means the fire is growing at a slower rate and that gives them the time needed to build all the burn-out fire perimeters they are working on, but also means the wind isn't blowing any of the smoke out, which is keeping air crews grounded.

Tammy

Holly S. I vote for you to get the funniest quip of the week award!

coastwalker good news and bad news all depends on the feasible set. If you told Mark Zuckerberg he was suddenly worth $100,000,000, that would be bad news. On the other hand, if you told me I was suddenly worth $100,000,000 that would be good news! 

I continued on my gym work routine. Other than that a pretty dull day of work and travel.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, decent, easier than yesterday 5 mile run this morning.  Back to the Lincoln Memorial.  Just over a 9 minute pace.

Today's lectures (we're coming to the end, so only 3 today weren't quite a good as the others.  And overall the tone is fairly depressing.  Getting an idea for a dystopian novel about international criminal gangs fighting over scarce fresh water resources.....for marketing purposes I'll call The Handmaid's Tale 2.....  On a far more serious note we got to visit the Lincoln Courtroom.  Fascinating.  The trial took place on the 3rd floor of a building that at the time was the stockade.  The room itself was the laundry.  For years the army used it for other things (even now it houses the Africa Center for Strategic Studies) so it was never torn down.  In 2012 the army began to convert it back to how it looked during the trial (based on Harper's Weekly drawings).  It was a court martial (conspiracy).  Because of sympathy to the south in the capitol, Stanton was concerned that the conspirators would get a hung jury.  Probably the most well known result was the first execution of a woman in the US (not counting any witch trials during the colonial era), Mary Surratt.  Anyway, fascinating.  Unfortunate that it is on a military post, it has the makings of a great museum.

TwoCat, fingers crossed....

HollyS, that was funny!

Have a great night everyone!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I had a tough day, yesterday, dealing with Eric's car and Eric.  He's trying, I think, but he's still tough to deal with.

I had a good run, today, despite getting only 5 hours of sleep.  10 miles with 6 miles at a tempo pace.  I "needed" a 6:52 pace--I wanted a 6:45 pace and I ran a 6:39 pace.  It was only 6 miles, though, and I'm not going to feel obligate to the 6:40 pace when the tempo miles get to 10.

Okay--my eyes are starting to cross.

Gotta go.  See ya!

Joe618

Evening all.   My eyes are nearly crossed, too, Mike...gotta head for bed soon.

Maraposi, jury duty is an honor.  It is a central part of our judicial system and I'm sorry it won't work for you.   I've served three times and just had my fourth call a couple weeks ago.   Very serious and very appropriate grasping of the important.   I ultimately didn't get selected for the trial but that is also part of the process.   I hope you get another opportunity.   I appreciate how you appreciate it.

Anne, enjoy the Cubs-Dbacks tomorrow.   I'm a big Cubs fan.   They hung on today to win 2-1.   Hope you see a win tomorrow to get a split of the 4 game series.

I did a 5K trail race this evening, it felt really, really good.   I was amazed how lively my legs felt after the ultra on Saturday.   Finished in 36:45, which is pretty good for me on trails.   Our club puts this race on, to introduce people to trails on our only area trail.   We do 5K in July, 8K in August, 12K in September, then wrap it up on a Saturday morning in October with a 15K.    Nice thing for the club to do...$5 donation, no frills and a good run each time.

Enjoy your Thursday, folks

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.