Masters Running

Saturday Daily, 1.5.13 (Read 276 times)

{{{Lame!!}}} I hope you're able to find a solution to the knee issue.  If things progress to a certain point, would they do a knee replacement?  I realize that's a last option, but I suppose it would be determined on how much you are in on a daily basis (?).

I can't think of the last time I was paid an hourly wage.  Always been salary since I've been working in offices.  I know there are restrictions, and sometimes I think we're barely slipping through the cracks, but I'd say that in all of the law offices in our area, the support staff is a salaried position.

I got in a good 4-mile run/walk this a.m.  About 70/30 run/walk.  I keep expecting that sudden pain in my foot, but it hasn't happened, although all the other stuff is still front and center.  So long as the pain doesn't happen, though, I'm good to go.  Followed it up with about 35 min of core/strength training (including my planks!), then breakfast that The Hub made.

Also, a friend of his brought us two crab (crabs?) yesterday, so he made "poor man's tomato-based cioppino" (that's what we are calling it) this afternoon (the least expensive firm white fish we could find and some small by shrimp with leeks, parsley, onion, and I don't know what else).  OH - MY - GOODNESS!!!  I ate two full bowls of it.  Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum.  Better than anything we could've had in a restaurant.  That Hub of mine, he can cook, thank goodness!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Bushrat Runner

Ran with Mo, Neal, and Choco today.

As you can see, it was a sort of dark, overcast day, spitting snow and some sort of rain-ish, sleet-ish, snowy mush on and off. I thought about brightening up this photo, but I'm pretty lazy with the phone photos...so I left it. Besides, it probably gives a realistic impression of the weather. While Erika lives up in cold land, we're stuck in semi-tropical barely freezing weather here at the moment.

The great thing about running around a frozen lake is that when you are not feeling super speedy (me, today) and you are running with somebody in better shape than you (Mo) or somebody in better shape that is a really speedy type anyway (Neal), you can let them run the shoreline while you keep cutting across all the bays...

I ended up with 8.8 miles, but Neal and Mo ran more like 9.5...worked great. I have been a little sporadic, but swam twice and ran twice this week, so that seems like progress. Maybe it's time to make a plan and start getting in actual shape.

One of the most interesting ice formations on the lake was an ice-push ridge that had eroded out a bit...

Wow, that really does need to be tweaked...oh well.

Happy runs all.

Next post -- sorry, messed up iPhone post
          * snow envy* I read Starr's post and thought -- hey, what a lucky break; she got out of having to go to a wedding! Then realized that this is my classic introvert reaction, heehee. Should I express my condolences to the (un)happy couple, then? Hmmm. Anyway....5.5 slow miles on the woodchip path this morning for me.
            * snow envy* I read Starr's post and thought -- hey, what a lucky break; she got out of having to go to a wedding! Then realized that this is my classic introvert reaction, heehee. Should I express my condolences to the (un)happy couple, then? Hmmm. Anyway....5.5 slow miles on the woodchip path this morning for me.

Being an introvert myself, I was sort of relieved to not have to go.  I don't like these things as well as I used too.  Being sober for 202 days now, I didn't really want to sit around at a 4 hour reception.  What ever happened to 40 minute weddings followed by cake and ham sandwiches in the church basement, throw some rice and be home in less than 2 hours?

Today sure hasn't been a good day.  After getting dressed up for the non-wedding, MrStarr and I had a big fight. Now the Vikes are getting kicked by the Packers.  Plus, I accidentally shut the door on the poor puppy and feel bad about that.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Sorry about the carpy day, Starr. Tomorrow will be better. Give Mr. Starr a big hug and move on. Oh, the puppy could prolly use a snuggle, too. Sorry about the Vikings but I bet Jlynne is happy tonight!

I actually had a pretty good run today. Headed to DH's office from home, running on the main road because the bike paths are in terrible shape. Pleasant surprise is that even the drivers were mostly cooperative and gave me some room! Temps were about 15 at the start and down to -2 at the end, so I finished a little chilled but not bad. Unlike Troy's run, I had some clouds but the sun peeked out quite a bit which was nice. And hey, we gained 4 minutes of daylight today!! Woohoo!  9.2 miles at 8:17 avg pace, but actual splits were all over the place.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erila - this from a legal website on the DOL's position on the exempt/non-exempt status of paralegals:

As a practical matter, employers should assume that DOL will continue to assert that paralegals are not exempt. Since the regulations expressly state that paralegals cannot qualify for the professional exemption, employers would be ill-advised to take a contrary position.

Certainly reading over the requirements, I don't seem to qualify.  I don't direct anyone else's work, or have  any say in the hiring/firing of anyone, and although much of my work is self-directed, it is always subject to the final review of the attorney.

Stil, what to do about it, if anything?  My job makes me crazy, but mostly I like it, have a passion for it, and don't want to leave.  I'm not sure I want to rock the boat.  I suppose it depends on if I get pressured to begin working a lot of extra hours.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."