Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 11.18.13 (Read 42 times)

enkephalin I agree Mike E seems to be clueless about bread baking.  If you do not get your fields planted how are you going to have wheat to grind.  Geez everybody know that, as well as 15 minutes can save you 15% . . .

wildchild gee, tell your teammate to get old already!  Wink

Holly S. TM Black eye  Running in the rain Dead.  Good choice.

stumpy77 yep hills sure do slow things down.

divechief when something like covering for somebody happens do you then get overtime or time off or what?  If you get time off how does the ferry service then cover for you?  Unlike many of us, you have a job where tons of people end up stranded if you are not there.

iBleedUnionBlue congratulations.  As my former training partner would say you do not have to beat everybody just those that show up!

evanflein mentally each TM mile counts as 2 so figure it is equivalent to 14.4 which is 2.4 more than you planned!

tetsujin209 FWIW I just bought a Princeton Remix headlamp that yields about 100 lumens.  I have used it once and it is bright.  But it will take more tries to see what I think of the overall weight.

coastwalker wow meetings every night through Thursday!! Shocked That would pretty much kill me.

CNYrunner Ithaca is a beautiful place to run.  Alas, I think it will be a cold one too since that rain was apparently the leading edge of an incoming cold front.  Sad

C-R enjoy your trip to Chicago.  When I was there earlier this year I was quite impressed by the lake shore path they have built.

Jlynne finished a marathon on his own!  Wow, that is one I never heard before!  Good for your DS and his perseverance!

Spareribs interesting article as always!

Tramps yard work counts as cross training.

Dave59 and Holly S. glad you both made it through the tornadoes safe and sound.

rochrunner colonoscopy!  Dead  Boy am I glad they are not an annual event!

tselbs wind can be like hills.  That can make a 4 mile run seem really long.

Mustang Sally I can see where that might be some pile of laundry!

I went off for 8 miles intending to run from zombies while I was out and about.  Alas, my cell phone's GPS seems to have died and that means no zombies.  Oh well.  So it was an easy 8 miles instead.  I will say it was a close call.  We had a large, but poorly organized, storm front blow through and it passed by just in time for my run.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Jeanne - congrats to your DS on running his own marathon!  What happened that he didn't finish the race on Sunday?

Jay - you have a hot tub with a towel warmer box next to it?   When can I come visit?  I'll split some firewood for your new shed while I'm there!

Karin, wave hi to my DD while you're running around Ithaca!

It was nice here today, upper 40's and sunny, but snow on the ground, so I ran 4 miles in shorts and screw shoes.  That always feels weird.

Happy trails, everyone.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - I suspect we are kindred spirits re our feelings about rainy runs...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

first real day of "rain-turning-to-showers" (whatever that means) that describers the winters down here.  i'd rather have snow, that's for sure. Getting dark after 4pm so i didn't mind at all seeing the city got the Christmas lights up on Fifth Avenue trees over the weekend.  Funny how anything Christmas before Thanksgiving used to annoy me.  now I love it. .

deezie - your son got your determined genes. However, two-cat, as for running 26.2 miles on one's own, OM and Mariposie are two too to have done it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Another 3.77 miles running life - I have a total of 8.5 for the past two days. I may be on to something.

Holly - fun doing jigsaw puzzles

Mustang Sally - not so much fun doing laundry

"Illuminating discussion about night lights yesterday" ... very funny Jay!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Ribs--I liked your article today.  I have always taken the day off before a race.  I have also always taken the day off before a long run...until about a year and a half ago...and I have had some of my best long runs ever.  It really made me wonder if I should try to run the day before a race.

I took yesterday off to give my Achilles a little extra time to rest.  I think it really helped--I had a good hard workout and it's felling pretty good.  Tonight was a strength workout:

2 mile warm up: 15:37

2 miles: 12:56

.52 recovery: 4:05

2 miles: 12:57

.48 recovery: 3:50

2 miles: 12:50

2 mile cool down: 16:28

Tomorrow is a rest day and then Wednesday is a 10 mile tempo run...I have to admit...the tempo runs are kicking my butt.

Okay--it's late--gotta go to bed.  See ya!

Maniac 505

divechief when something like covering for somebody happens do you then get overtime or time off or what?  If you get time off how does the ferry service then cover for you?  Unlike many of us, you have a job where tons of people end up stranded if you are not there.

Twocat,  My shifts are 7, 12 hour days and 7 days off.  If I work more then 12 hours in a day, it is overtime.  This was a really unusual situation.

The Coast Guard mandates minimum manning levels to carry passengers (we can move a boat with a short crew, but we can't go into service).  The permanent engineers are assigned to a boat.  they work on the same boat regardless of whether it is running or if it is laid-up for maintenance.

I fill in on several different boats when people take vacations.  This week I was assigned to a boat in dry dock.  Dispatch knows where I am, and I was not working in a Coast Guard required position.  Dispatch called me while I was working in the dry dock.  the Chief engineer on one of the in service boats had a family emergency,  They asked if I could get there in less then 30 minutes to cover for the rest of the watch.

The Drydock was about 4 miles from the ferry terminal,  I raced down to my bicycle and made it with time to spare.  (and it gave me 1 hour overtime.)

And RE:  covering for our time off/vacations.  It is a hard to explain system, but today everyone had to have there vacation requests in for all of 2014.

The number of vacation relief engineers (My job) depends on how many total vacations are requested.  There are about 25 of us to cover for about 300 assigned engineers.

If someone requests an unscheduled day here or there  sometimes it can be accommodated, sometimes not.

To cover for unexpected sick days,  sometimes the assistant engineer on watch has a chief engineers license,  sometimes not.  otherwise dispatch just starts calling people on their week off until they find someone willing to work a day of overtime.

and I can see everyone rolling their eyes, trying to make sense of the above.   sorry

Mariposai

Had a fine muddy weekend - mountain biking on Saturday, trail running Sunday, a pile of disgusting laundry today.  Totally worth it.

Big grin

3 miles on the blessed TM at the local high school gym an then 30' of weight. After that I arrived home famished Roll eyes.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Maniac 505

Big grin

. After that I arrived home famished Roll eyes.

And I bet you had a heck of a time trying to find something to eat Wink

Mariposai

And I bet you had a heck of a time trying to find something to eat Wink

hahah!!!  i actually did

Shocked

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mari  n-did you get a name and date for mari's half mari yet?

dave - I don't know about the rest of it but you rid well if you went from getting out from the engine room in drydock and down all those scaffolding stairs if it was on harbor island to ride your bike down S. Alaskan Way to the ferry terminal in 30 minutes.  You and LaT sound like you don't need any extra training except for what you do every day anyway.   do you use your headlamp on the bike too?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)