Masters Running

Weds 9/5/12.... (Read 424 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning...

Boy oh boy, did ever have a wicked virus on my computer - it was called "live security platinum 3.6.1" Messed my computer up bad, and there was nothing I could do to remove it....even took my administrative right away. I had to pay someone to remove the virus, which took a technician over 5 hours to remove....he said it's one of the worse viruses out there right now. The virus acts like it's a program to remove the virus, but is in fact the virus....even gave a place to put credit card info in. I knew better than that, and knew something was terribly wrong. Got my computer all fixed up, with new protection against such things. The tech said there is no way of knowing when I got the virus, and was probably a while a go....

I'm no computer geek, so I explained the above with the limited knowledge I know of such things....

Up at 3:50am this morning and ran a sweaty 6 miles............very muggy out there, but was a good run. Work is crazy busy, so I had to get my run in early, so I can get to work early and try and get caught up with estimates and paper work. Had 21 wrecked vehicles come in yesterday, and thats a lot and is overwhelming processing that many claims. I'm working at 2 shops at once, so I'm keeping busy. The owner owns 4 collision centers, and combined these shops produced $950,000.00 in sales last month. That's a lot, and these shops are packed all the time, when most shops are slow....lucky me. Really, lucky me with job security.

Oh, my heartbreak is easing up a little everyday - but boy I sure miss Donna. I still care for her, but respect her feelings. I guess I should have been mad at her - but that's not me. And I've never said anything to her I would regret.....no need to burn bridges. She's still a very wonderful and beautiful woman to me, and happy I had the privilege of being involved with her.......guess I'm kinda different with my feelings. but I care immensely for her.

Ok.....no more about her here - time to move on Smile

Have a great day...

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Morning all,

Great job with the run this morning Tim. Sorry to hear about the virus.  Glad your mood is improving.

I did not get up as early as Tim, but did get out for 8.2 easy miles this morning @ 4:30 AM.  Managed to do an easy  8 min pace for  most of the time but the last mile it was closer to 8:30.  Temps were a very humid/soggy  74F but there was a nice breeze every so often which helped a little.  Nevertheless I was soaked by first mile. 

Have a great day.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

Some FOC members are out this morning - kewl!

Sorry about the virus, Tim, and the need to hire a nerd to get rid of it. But it sounds like your computer is in good shape now. It is too bad that car wrecks are what builds your business/job security, but on the other hand, it is good that these folks have a place to get their cars repaired. It sounds like quite an operation. I'm glad you got in a good, albeit muggy run before work this morning.

Joe, I'm glad you toughed it out to get in a good run this morning too.

I looked out the window when I got up at 4 this morning, and all I saw was gauze. I thought it was dense fog, but learned later that it was condensation on the windows caused by the great difference in temp and humidity between inside and outside (comfortable and relatively dry inside, and warm and muggy outside). I had already decided not to head out this morning, but was still up to feed the cat and get my day going. I've had some hip/leg discomfort building over the last week or two, and it was achy when I woke this morning. I've continued doing some of the exercises/stretches that I got from PT when I had a similar issue last winter, and did another round of them this morning. Whatever this is seems to bite me every 6-15 months or so, so I have to get to the root cause, instead of just treating the symptoms. Meanwhile, tomorrow's another day, so I'll see how I feel then.

Enjoy!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I got up this morning in time so I could ride for 25 miles or so.  Checked the weather radar and promptly went back to bed.  Zzzzzzzz.  There was a big mass of clouds and storms off the Coast that were headed our way - timed for right in the middle of my planned ride.  Not.  Riding in the dark is tricky enough without rain and stormy conditions.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Whoo-ee! Any muggier out there and it would have been raining! But I got in 4.5 very sweaty miles on the trail.

I just found out that my 1:31 10-miler at the Crim is actually a 1:06 according to the official Paul Ryan Time Calculator. That's a record pace for me!

DISCLAIMER: The above is NOT a political statement! I just think we can all be amused by someone who doesn't know how seriously runners take their marathon times. In our world, claiming a false marathon time is like claiming a military medal that you never received. Smile

Speaking of military matters, I'm off in a few minutes to the Detroit riverfront to take a look at the reconstruction of the U.S. Brig Niagara -- Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry's flagship at the Battle of Lake Erie (part of the War of 1812 bicentennial events in the area).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Yes, Erika, The First Lady's speech.

Got out for about a 30-minute run.  I have 6 miles scheduled today but didn't get up early enough for the whole thing so I'll run again this evening.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mariposai

Wow, one great racing we had around here this last weekend. Congrats to all the racers! My DH and I had a fantastic time in the Olympic Peninsula, hiking Deception Pass one day, doing a 9 mile trek  the next day and visiting great beaches on the Washington Coast. With so many beautiful places to hike around here we just have never taken the time to visit the Peninsula, but now we know we will be back there.

On the way home we picked about a gallon of wild blackberries, so last night I made some blackberry jam and blackberry syrup for pancakes. Eight yummie jars has been canned ready to be devoured during the winter months. 

Well, as for running, this is taper week for me. I ran 3 miles with my DH last night and 6 miles this morning. I was telling my running buddie this morning that I am loooking forward to my Chelan marathon this weekend. It seems like this will be my last race of the until next April Cry, so I better enjoy it. 

The route will be stunning http://lakechelanmarathon.com/

Have a grand day! 

and yes Opie, that was one great speech!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mrrun

Speaking of military matters, I'm off in a few minutes to the Detroit riverfront to take a look at the reconstruction of the U.S. Brig Niagara -- Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry's flagship at the Battle of Lake Erie (part of the War of 1812 bicentennial events in the area).

my father and favorite uncle were both born on september 10th (not 1812).  they always tried to get the conversation around to the battle of lake erie, with great difficulty.  enjoy the anniversary festivities!

marj 

King of PhotoShop

Today is supposed to be DOMS day, but I was fine, probably because I didn't run very fast on Monday.  4 miles at easy pace.

This soul singer had a number one hit in 1963 with "Another Saturday Night."  Spareribs

Sam Cooke?

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Sam Cooke I believe.

No political affiliation implied here but yes, Opie, Mrs. Obama is an excellent speaker. Though my DH wouldn't agree...

Glad both you and your computer are up and running again Tim. What is that old saying about time healing all wounds? Every day gets a little easier. Been in that situation myself a few years ago.

Your weekend sounded wonderful Mariposai. Enjoy the taper madness!

Lots of muggy weather all over today. 5 sweaty drippy miles for me at 4:30 this morning. Was wringing wet after a couple of blocks so I took off my shirt and ran in a sports bra and shorts. Good thing it was dark out 'cause I wouldn't want to scare anyone Shocked 

wildchild

Carolyn

Sorry to hear about all the muggy weather you guys are having.  It feels like fall here; it was 38° at home this morning, and only 49° at the trailhead!  I ran 4.4 miles in Chatfield State Park, and my legs feel much better than they did yesterday. 

Here are a few pictures from the American Discovery Trail Marathon on Monday.  The race is on the Santa Fe Trail, which is an urban trail, wide and fairly flat, and net downhill (some small rollers but nothing steep or long).  The race starts in Palmer Lake and ends in Colorado Springs. The north part of the trail is very pretty, and about 8 miles goes through the Air Force Academy property, which is mostly ponderosa pine forest.  The last 7 or 8 miles is not as nice - some concrete and asphalt, and it crosses under the interstate twice.

This is at the north end, in Palmer Lake.

This is a finish line picture, in America the Beautiful Park in downtown Colorado Springs.  I ditched my shirt when the sun came out at about mile 22, and tucked it in the strap of my sports bra. You can see it in my shadow - it looks like a cape!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn - you are the queen of the finish line pics - another great one!

Tim - glad you got your computer running again.

Mariposai - that looks like a lovely race - good luck and enjoy!

Ribs - I love that song....

Steamy here this morning, too, with a light fog everywhere - kind of strange to have it foggy when it's so warm.  Somehow I usually attribute foggy mornings to cooler temps.

4.5 easy-paced miles.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

No political affiliation implied here but yes, Opie, Mrs. Obama is an excellent speaker.

Neither political party would *ever* have a Convention speaker who was not excellent.  That would be counterproductive.  There hasn't been a poor Orator yet that I've heard.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

TammyinGP

Wonderful pics Carolyn!

Glad to read that Mariposai and Paulposai had a wonderful getaway to one of the most beautiful parts of Wash in my opinion.

Back to work after a week off. It was the last week before school started so had a few fun things planned that pretty much all went kaput. First day off was a trip to Redding Waterworks park about 3 hrs south of us. Got to Redding and smoke/air quality was so horrendous from the Shasta fire, that we turned around and came back home. a 6 hr roundtrip to nowhere.

Next up was the season opener of OSU football versus Nicholls State on Saturday, which was cancelled due to Isaac. Nicholls State is in Thibideaux, LA.

Then on Labor Day we had our own wildfire start up about 3 miles from our home. Tankers and helicopters flying overhead all day long. Air has been pretty smokey too. But it's 60% contained, so they have good control over it now.

on the upside, David started CC last week. Had an "unofficial" meet last Thursday where they ran a 2K distance. He ran it in 7:42. Then yesterday was the first official meet at the 3K distance. He had no idea what to expect as he's only run this distance once in practice so far. and it was hot out - 92 degrees. He ran it in 12:04 and took 6th place OA and 1st place on the boys team for his school. The girls team is REAL strong - won Districts last year and took the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th OA. Boys team took 6th, 9th, and 10th OA.

I got in some decent runs on my week off, with my longest one being 7.4. These next 2 wknds i need to increase that distance signficantly though if I plan on finishing the two HM's at the end of the month. Fortunately, I'm only approaching these as two LD runs as part of racing a HM at the end of October.

Tammy