Masters Running

Saturday, 3.19.16 (Read 41 times)

ribs, great picture of you, The Saint, PDR, and WRFB.  Also enjoyed the pictures posted by mari and steve.  Mike, neat race story and addition by henrun.  Good racing for Aamos and Mike.

Nice long runs for Mike and RCG.  Good job on the speedwork for Holly.

I spent several days in Ludington visiting my mother, sister, and brother in law.  I got in a 4 mile and a 3 mile run.  Today, I worked at the expo for a St Pats race that takes place tomorrow in Bay City.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I was thrilled to run the popsicle stick run and Henry's smile was the crowning glory. It was fun to catch up with Marj and Henry post-race coffee.

Can't wait to do this again.

Hi Spinach!!

Mike - thanks for sharing your run.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mike E

MM #5615

Henry, your post brought tears to MY eyes!

Me too!  I really do not have any right to complain.  Henry--you really are an inspiration to me--I hope you realize that.

Mike and Henry, and everyone else here, you are such an inspiration to me.  Jlynne, 30 miles a week is awesome and I wish I was at that level.

4 miles on my Bridle trails.  Nice soft surface, my knee was happy with that.  I am still taking walking breaks though.  I overate this week - free lunch, free dinner one night and I found the Mexican fast food joint next door is pretty good!  I thought with cycling in everyday up that big hill, I would start to lose weight.  Appears the opposite happened this week, and my run felt hard, like I've got all this muscle, weight, in my thighs now and have lost my running grace.

Tomorrow I am shooting for 9 miles....one way or another....even if a lot of walking.  That will get me 20 for the week running (finally) and 24 cyclocommute miles.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I was thrilled to run the popsicle stick run and Henry's smile was the crowning glory. It was fun to catch up with Marj and Henry post-race coffee.

Can't wait to do this again.

Hi Spinach!!

Mike - thanks for sharing your run.

Only a month away, LaT!  Hope you can make it to Watertown.

A couple of 5Ks yesterday and today.  I think I've decided that even though I run early in the monring, I'm not really an early morning runner.  9:45 yesterday at 5:30am, 8:45 today at 8:30am.  I'd swear the effort felt pretty close.   I'm pretty sure there's a connection.

I've said ever since I met Henry (and Marj) that I want to be him when I grow up.

Good on you and your buddies, too, Mike.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Mike that was a great story, and you and your buddies did a very good thing, and you got a lot in exchange! I also say I want to be running when I'm 80, just gotta be careful make sure we get there, right? Marj and Henry are definitely an inspiration to anyone who appreciates running for the joy it brings to your life!

Well, the big ol' snowstorm we had forecast sure hasn't shown up. I hope it stays that way, but with my luck it'll hit tomorrow in time for my run. Ha! We've got some flakes blowing around but that's about it. Well, and the wind, which I could really do without. Spent the day puttering around the house, reading stuff, doing some filing and yadda yadda yadda. Just got done with 6.1 easy miles on the treadmill so that's done. Now to get cleaned up and do some more house stuff. Oh, I brought work home so I might look at that. Maybe.

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, Erika - I found your snow!  We got a foot yesterday!

Mike, what a cool story - I'm glad you went to your race, too!  And add me to the list of RA folks who want to be like Henry when we grow up - except for the sore knee, of course!  How cool that Henry, Marj, and LaT had a meetup today!

Welcome to Spinach - glad to have you here!

I can't run because of my knee, and my DH is out of town on a climbing trip, so I decided to spend the day working a roving aid station for a point-to-point fat ass group run.  It was cold and snowing in the morning, but the sun came out in the afternoon. The run was on an urban trail, flat and kind of boring, and 64 miles long, along the highline canal.  Most folks ran 36 miles and called it good, but a few ran further.  The aid station folks stopped at miles 8, 18, 25, and 36, waited till the runners all came through, then drove on to the next location to wait for everyone.  I love hanging out with my ultra friends, and working an aid station is really fun, especially when you know almost all the runners!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Mike, as i read your story tears came to my eyes. That could have been me! In less than a month I'll be 82 and I'm getting slower and slower and my R knee is killing me. This morning, as La T and Marj ran their 2.5 mile "non competitive" race I covered the same course (having started ahead of them) as walkers passed by me. I was wearing my Boston marathon jacket and one young lady asked me if I had run it. I answered "yes, I've run a few". I finished my "run" as the 5 milers came in and La T and Marj walking beside me. Why do I do it? Because "running" is my passion and as long as I can do it (and, yes, I do get embarrassed at my snail's pace at times) I will!

I love this young  man. I always  had and I always will. Marj, I love you too.

8 slow miles for me today. I am still battling the nasty chest cold, so I decided to run today well below the pace where my lungs may start barking at me. That pace was at about 11+ minute mile. I cherished every mile.

My DH is gone to help his mother get ready to sell her house. My son Daniel and I had a lovely lobster dinner tonight. We both hang out in the kitchen, cooked and had a blast. I am so blessed to have two cool sons.

Taperboy, your DD's notes are just too funny. How did she know you were gone for 10 minutes and that you left your GS alone?

Spinach, I really am enjoying reading your posts.

Cheers to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I’m thinking it MikeE would have done it on his own except for feeling obligated to run with his friends. In this regard though, knowing there’ll be plenty of support for us slowbies had nothing to do with me signing up for Portland 2016.

um so tet, how did DD learn of your quick trip back for the trunks???

oh great, just as I was thinking that how grateful that I’ve never been the subject of aamos’ incisive cross-examinations for the rest-of-the-story, joined in by erika, posie, jeanne and the other goddess mothers who are just as alert from their mother’s view as to what was really going on. Well, it turns out I successfully snuck by her DH's “forget something?” with a mumbling response about my swimming suit but it didn’t work for DD’s only very extremely demanding question of “WHERE IS (GS)?” as she started to tail me out the door as I sprinted to the car parked way out at the top of the driveway where it wasn't so obvious as to who was (or, I mean, wasn't) in the car to get some clarification to my mumbled response to her that was not at all entirely satisfactory.

In fact, her first big capital lettered sentence I seem not to have included was about my failure to be up-front about it right away and is what triggered all the capitals, not only the fact that I left him alone. As Jeanne surmises, GS was clueless but now knows too very well that he is never to separate from me no matter what. I get another chance at the pool tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

The aid station folks stopped at miles 8, 18, 25, and 36, waited till the runners all came through, then drove on to the next location to wait for everyone.  I love hanging out with my ultra friends, and working an aid station is really fun, especially when you know almost all the runners!

What a great way to spend the day!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Something about working long hours makes a day at home all day very appealing.

I know exactly what you mean.  I am very happy to be a home body on the weekend (except for my run, of course).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Good luck, tet!