Masters Running

Tuesday January 27 run and fun! (Read 546 times)

The story behind the story: My dad and I were driving from Cambria to San Luis Obispo (about 45 min) to visit my mom, who was in the hospital. On the way, my dad tries to teach me the Peter Piper rhyme. Thinking I have it, I say, “Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peckers.” I stopped dead, horrified by what I just said in front of my dad. He’s laughing so hard, he can hardly drive. We finally get to the hospital, walk in my mom’s room, and the first thing my dad says is, “You know what your daughter said on the way here?” I couldn’t believe he was telling her that! Again, completely horrified. My mom, in complete innocence, looks at us and says, I kid you not, “What’s a pecker?” I looked at my dad, shook my head, and said, “She’s your wife. You explain it.” You should’ve seen her face when he explained. Priceless!!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Oh, Leslie. Your story reminded me of my dear naive mother who's been gone 9 years now. One day she and I took my son shopping, right before Christmas. I had some things I wanted to get for him "from Santa" so I asked my mother if she would just hang with him while I went to a few stores. We had taken the bus downtown, so I told her I would meet her at the bus stop in one hour. When I got there, they weren't around, so I started looking up and down the street to see if they were coming. There was an "adult bookstore" across the street, and I noticed them through the window. Horrified, I ran into the shop to see what was going on. There was grandma with my 4 year son, and she was buying him a dildo (again, sorry for offending anyone)! I said "mom, what are you doing?" She had no clue what it was and told me he wanted the "rocket ship" so she was buying it for him for Christmas. I told the sales clerk no thanks, and hustled them both out of the shop. It still makes me laugh thinking about it all these years later!
        "Dear Steve Jobs, It appears that my Macbook does not appreciate having red wine spewed all over it. Please send a new laptop as soon as possible. Full stop." Oh no way JLynne!....even better than when my mom thought my brother's plexiglass monster bong was a bird feeder and tried to attach it to the house. It was his own fault for hiding it in the garage. Must find paper towels now
        mrrun

wonderful stories - my wine is also hitting the keyboard. went out for a slow 4 at lunch and was joined by a speedy friend from work and ran 4 at race pace. i'll help cny with the snow shipment ilene - taper is our friend, taper is our friend, etc. marj

#artbydmcbride

Big grin I remembering visiting home when I was in college and my mom telling me my little brother had such a green thumb! He was growing these lovely plants in his closet. Roll eyes Yep, healthy green five-pointed leaved plants.

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #957

What is this, potty mouth day?
              I know, jeesh! Such language! Where the he$$ is the friggin' moderator around here? Wink

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Yeah, it's hard to find good help anymore... Ok, all this talk of drinking wine while perusing the daily has GOT to stop. Now, ya hear? I still have 2 hours (groan) at work!! You guys are too much. Much more fun than work... heheheh.... I did RAL today. 5.5 miles in 45:32, including a one mile warm up at 8:49, then 6 half mile repeats with the first 4 at 8:00, the last 2 at 7:41 with .25 mile recoveries at 8:34. Didn't want to keep going at first, but then I was mad I ran out of time! So it goes... srlopez, I'd love to see that doggie water treadmill. Perfect PT, too! Too bad insurance doesn't cover it.
                  I know, jeesh! Such language! Where the he$$ is the friggin' moderator around here? Wink
                  Yeah really, Roy & Woody leave, they turn over the thread to a new "leader" and we've just gone right to crap! Wink Well today was supposed to be an interval day, but I just wasn't recovered enough for that so I decided to see if I could at least muster a nice strong progression run instead. Tuesday - 7.01 progressive miles - 53:52 (7:42) - 8:26 - 8:16 - 7:55 - 7:32 - 7:12 - 6:34 - 7:50 - :07 - I was feeling much better by the third mile and finished the sixth pretty strong before cooling off with the seventh mile. Hmmm...me thinks I'm learning a little something. Big grin
                  busiman

Running out of mistakes!

funny stories...I'm sure we'll be in the same position for our kids or their kids. :-P So 1000m is my new favorite interval workout distance. It feels long enough so you can drop in a groove pace, but no so long that it is a long grind. Anyway, I enjoyed my workout tonight. I started at a conservative pace and bumped it up slightly each interval (3:48, 3:43, 3:35, 328, 3:31) Next time I'll be able to pick an appropriate time and keep it. A mark of a quality workout is how you feel at the end. Tonight was a good one.
                    -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                    also on Twitter