Masters Running

Tuesday Daily, 2.26.13 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I hope Jlynne gets good results from her MRI, and that DH's surgery goes well.

I also want to congratulate Spareribs on his AG win in his first ultra - very impressive!

Sounds like your salmon grilling instructions paid off in a most tasty way, Mariposai.

Mainerunnah - I guess we're a little closer to the coast, and so our snow totals haven't been all that impressive this year. Inland is supposed to get 6+" tomorrow, but we'll probably get mostly rain.

I started wearing glasses in my mid-50s, and changed to bifocals about 4 years ago. It's not ideal, but it beats not being able to see or read.

4.2 miles at 4:15 this morning. I took it easy because of some random ice on the roads from yesterday's snow melt, and because my hip is still problematic. I did OK, except for when the hip started complaining on the way up a short, steep hill - backing off quieted things down. The tide was out, and the ocean was quite active - if it was daylight, the local surfers would have been having a great time! After I got back home, I spent some quality time with my stretching rope, muscle stick, and a hard rubber ball, and also did some squats and crunches. I'll see how it goes through the day.

Have a great Tuesday!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Jay - I live about a mile west of I-95 and we are quite often on right on the line, but lately it seems as if that line hasn't been very far west and we've been slammed with snow each storm.

I popped in early this morning to ask you all to remember a good running friend of mine in your thoughts and or prayers.  His name is Brian Denger and he is a member of our "Maine Rowdies" running group.  He and his wife are the parents of three children a daughter and two sons.  Both of his sons were diagnosed at a very early age with Duchenne muscular dystrophy.  Brian called me early this morning to let me know that his oldest son passed away last night due to complications from Duchenne's, he was just 20 years old and a second year student at the University of New England.  Even though they have always known that most young men with Duchenne don't live past their 20's and this was going to be the end result, I still can't imagine how difficult it must be to lose a child.  They are a wonderful loving family and Brian has been and I am sure will continue to be a strong advocate in the search for a cure for Duchenne.

My heart is breaking for them right now and I will give my children an extra hug as soon as I see them...because I can.

Thanks and have a great day everyone.

Mariposai

Butterfly hugs to mainrunnah's friends!!

Shall we start the morning  with a birthday cake? It is twocat's special day!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

[[[[[[[[[Maine's Buddy]]]]]]]]]]

==========

32min poolrun

double weight sessions.

Back and Leg( sorta) PainFree

......................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Maine - your friend is a wonderful father too.

I’d always hoped that another one of the guys would finally figure out with our many goddess sisters too that ultras are more about the fun that the run but never associated an "amazingly fun time" with a sparerib’s one.  Welcome, . .  to many more too, I hope, . . . and am sure will be the case once you find out what fun really is out with nature on the trails.

ps - though I used to use reading glasses, Fuch’s Dystrophy has me back to the old days without them even for the smallest newspaper print but on an irreversible reverse trip to eventual ophthalmological oblivion in ten or 15 years, when it probably won't much matter anyway.  However, it's almost impossible to read all the varied text colors used on mismatched background colors in today's magazines.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

ribs, congratulations on your first ultra and AG win.  Maine, my thoughts are with your friend and his family on the loss of his son.

Nice long runs for Holly, lynden, and Mike (speedy and felt good).

This morning, it was in the mid 20s and there was a light wind when I went out for an 8 miler.  I picked a route that was all on pavement since the dirt and gravel roads appear quite icy.  This out and back includes 3 hills, so it's up and over 6 times.  I was just plodding along at what seemed my normal perceived effort.  The last little mile or so  got a bit hard but nothing unusual.  When I finished, I looked at my Garmin expecting my normal pace of a little over 11 min/mile or maybe just under 10 if I was lucky.  I saw a 14 in the seconds position and figured 11:14 would be acceptable.  I looked again and it was 10:14 with the last mile 9:35.  I was pleasantly shocked.  Checking later, my slowest mile was 10:40, the last two were under 10 and I had negative splits by 2:04.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Henrun

Maine, sorry to hear about your friend's family. These rare illnesses are are tough to deal with, especially since they are probably of genetic origin and affect children.

Our weather is even better than that cited by Maine and Jay. We've been getting mainly rain since the 'blizzard' and the roads are quite runnable.  Yesterday I ran 5 on Heartbreak Hill and got my hill work in. Today, with a temp in the mid 40's and sun I wore shorts and decided on the flats. I ran 8 along the Charles and the Commonwealth Mall. That's my longest run this year as I continue my 'comeback'.

Marj and I have signed up for a bike tour in the Netherlands at the end of April during 'tulip time'. Even though I've done very little cycling since fall I feel I'm getting my fitness back and hope to be able to cycle in March once it's a bit warmer. (Marj still commutes by bike to work when the roads are rideable).

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Maine, I'm so sorry for your friend's loss. Heartbreaking, indeed.

And congrats once again to Spareribs! I wished him well on FB, but can't remember if I said anything here. It's funny, the atmosphere at the Flying Monkey was very much like what I'd expect an ultra to be like, and consistent with Ribs' description of his experiences. No wonder I loved it. Smile

I was really tired for yesterday's run (10.32 miles, 9:42 avg), so today I took it super super easy. 7.15 miles at a 10:59 pace, which I have to say took more patience than physical effort to run that slowly. I had to keep reminding myself that running this slowly is very good for me, and that it would make me stronger and faster in the long run (ha!). Though it's interesting how running faster is oftentimes much easier than going slower... hmm, I wonder how I'm going to fare running Chicago at this pace?

Maine - Will keep your friend and his family in my prayers.  Very heartbreaking.

TSelbs - Great run today!  Guess temps in the mid 20s agree with you. Smile

Happy Birthday, Twokitty!!!!!

I did 5 miles this a.m. with Miles 3 and 4 being tempo miles.  My legs are still tired from Saturday and from last night's EZ 4, and it took about 1.5 miles before they loosened up.  My tempo paces are Matt's and Joe's regular paces, so I'll continue to stake claim to being the tortoise amongst the group.

We have thousands of Canada geese that winter here.  The ranchers and farmers hate them because they tear up the fields.  Their daily flight path, to and from their feeding grounds, goes right over our hours.  During my last mile. wave after wave after wave of squadrons of honking geese flew overhead.  They look like tiny fighter planes.  It was an incredible sight and sound to behold.  I stopped twice to watch them fly over.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Oh, forgot to wish Twocat a very happy birthday!! Let's hope this is the year you stay injury-free for good!

...me too//..........Happy B'Day twocat>>>>>>Good Running to Ya........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Happy Birthday, Twocat!

Had a less than stellar workout at the track but I did all the planned 300m intervals except #8, so good enough.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

TammyinGP

Happy Birthday DosGatos!

5 mile run at lunch. I think I might actually hit my first 100 mile month since May 2011 - the month prior to Grandma's Marathon, which is the last marathon I've run. Apparently, I have to actually train for a marathon to get my mileage up over 100 miles Roll eyes

Tammy

mrrun

Happy Birthday Twocat - have a year of happy runs with the wind in your back!

Ran home from work for 7 miles - a good stress reliever!

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Birthday DosGatos!

tanjoubi omedetou gozaimasu twocat-sensei

誕生日御目出度う御座います二匹猫先生

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)