Masters Running

Thursday 5/6 post cinco de mayo, margarita fueled runs (Read 610 times)

Anyone who didn’t get a chance to read Trent’s link about Nashville on the end of yesterday’s daily – it’s well worth the read.

Thanks Holly for bumping this. So true. I consider myself pretty well informed - read and watch a lot of news. But first heard about the tragedy in Nashville on RA. I then saw a 15 second clip on the NBC Nightly News a day or two later. It's not getting the attention it deserves - even considering the recent terrorist plot and gulf oil spill. 

jtv

Tselbs - thanks for the warm welcome back.  have fun at my ole alma mater.

Holly - sometimes my walking pace is now faster than MY running pace!

Woke up this am to a mallard couple sitting on our front lawn.  They arrive every year in the spring, and hang around our neighborhood for several weeks, only to disappear until the following spring.

Forgot to mention yesterday the members of our "extended family" that includes 13 fish in our koi pond, and  about 15 feral cats that live under the AC Boardwalk.  We volunteer there about once a month, helping with TNR, any other medical issues, cleanup, providing shelters. etc.

5 miles this am in 48:58 (3 running @ 8:25, 2 walking @ 11:50).  Feeling the effects of being a pint low on fuel from yesterday.

Marathon Maniac #3309

To those who asked about the shop I am going to manage.........wierd, but really no real progress is being made no matter how much they promise things. I have my office painted and I did some work to smooth up the floor for carpet, and some other misc things. In reality.............everything should have been done Months ago (that's not in my control), and we should be up and running. All the while, they are paying me my salary every week whether I do anything or not .......is that not the strangest thing. To be honest....knowing the owner.....it will be another couple of months before I can see the shop officially open (maybe longer how things are going) Because there are sooooo many things the Owner and His Assistant have NOT even thought of - or dealt with yet, no matter how much I tell them.

My Friends say I have one helluva Gig going on.....true, but I just want to get to work for good!

I will tell you what......and a lot of people I know feel the same way. Things about jobs and employment right now are down right strange and hard to figure out......think my situations takes the cake though. But I do have another "good" job offer from a Collision Center that is fairly close to home....would not have to move. We are separated by salary right now, but we are going to talk again tomorrow.

I am at the shop right now, waiting for carpet companies to come and give bids......every bid the Owner says is too high......then allll the money they are paying me????

Jlynne.......how long did you try with the Vibrams......it really does take a looooooong time getting use to your kinda shoes, or barefoot running.

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

It was hard to tear myself away from baby NJ this morning to leave for work. 

I know you call him NJ for Nate, Jr, but I read this as "baby New Jersey"  and almost spilled my yogurt!   Glad you two are buddies.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

During my run this morning, I passed a BP station. See that gas is up to $2.94 a gallon. I wonder who's going to pay for that massive clean-up in the gulf?

*snork!  guffaw!*  Sorry, JLynne, I almost spit my coffee out over that one.  We've been at $3.15 for regular forever.  Mid grade will probably be up around $3.50 by summer.

Sleep-in day for me, even though I had to get up and feed the zoo at 6:00.  I have no trouble crawling back under the covers afterward.  Actually, I probably should've run, even though it's a scheduled rest day.  We ate out last night, I'm going to a seminar luncheon on probates (exciting, huh?), and I'm eating out tonight for my legal association's installation of the new officers. Too much good food.  However, for the first time in 7 years, I'm not one of the officers!!  Woo Hoo!!!!!!

It's a gorgimous day here today!

Later ~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

11.6 miles right between the Breger and PDR pace for me this morning.  It was not hot but I can see we are now on our way to what will be summer temps for the rest of you and it's early May.

Holly, what was Karin's fee for running with her today? I am hoping she keeps her rates down in case I get to run with her again.  And I see she is racking up those big cash prizes for marathon wins too!

Twocat, the only issue I see is the one you have yourself identified and that is signing up for the tenK with all those good intentions of walk/jog or something like that, until the gun goes off or someone passes you and that noble plan goes right out the window. 

Here is what  lit me up this morning, but not an angry lit up, just kind of amused.  After my surgery my cardiologist had me go for X-rays as an imaging lab and bring the X-rays to them for review.  This is over a year ago.  Today they call and tell me the imaging place wants them back and for me to come and get them and return them to the lab.  I asked them why they can't just mail them back to the lab themselves.  "Oh, we don't have the postage for that kind of thing."  To them it's a much better idea for me to drive 10 miles to the cardiologist, pick up the X-rays and drive another 10 miles to the imaging lab and then drive home.   Spareribs

Here is what  lit me up this morning, but not an angry lit up, just kind of amused.  After my surgery my cardiologist had me go for X-rays as an imaging lab and bring the X-rays to them for review.  This is over a year ago.  Today they call and tell me the imaging place wants them back and for me to come and get them and return them to the lab.  I asked them why they can't just mail them back to the lab themselves.  "Oh, we don't have the postage for that kind of thing."  To them it's a much better idea for me to drive 10 miles to the cardiologist, pick up the X-rays and drive another 10 miles to the imaging lab and then drive home.   Spareribs

Guess the cost of your gas and time is cheaper than the postage. 

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I'm so glad to have found the picture of Steve's GS and Tag.   How adorable!!

Trent - thanks for posting that link.  

Ribs - I think that'd get me "lit up" too!   Good grief!

Dg - you ran 2.5 miles huh??? 

I had the day off yesterday, but I would have gotten more rest if I had gone to work. 

I went for a 5 mile run, then showered quickly before getting my hair done.   Then home to finish taking care of summer/winter clothes and bag up stuff for good will.   Then took my mom to the doctor and lunch.   Then took DD#2 shopping and then home to take care of the puppies and let them play outside.   Then off to motorcyle class and didn't get home until 9:30.   Of course, then more puppy time and I didn't sleep good because I was too wound up and thinking about class.   SO, that being said, I did not get up to run this morning but I am planning to run after work.    This weekend I probably won't get in any runs because of these classes and other family events.

As for the cats - haven't seen them.  Sad    DH said he thinks they are hiding in the wood piles out back.    I put their food outside today and will do so again tonight and hope they come up to the house.   We did everything right - so I'm hopeful.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Ribs, that would lite me up big time.  Did you ask for mileage reimbursement?  I had a similar thing at the pharmacy.   I wanted a syringe for one of my medicines, for accurate measurement as opposed to a dropper.  She said they had no more and could not get any more in.  Just aren't any available anywhere.  So what about all the hospitals across the nation, are they all out too?  I think they just don't want to give them away for free anymore.

Trent, thanks for the post, both of them.

Noah and Tag, Tag team!

PDR, I can hardly remember what they are like at that age.  I sometimes just stare in amazement at toddlers and how their bodies move and can't believe I've forgotten all that cuteness.  They say you only remember the good stuff but I only remember the work and exhaustion of having little ones.

Tammy, go crazy, run 10.23 miles!

I got in 7 miles with a stop at the house to check phone calls (had a mystery call on my cell, was hoping it might be for a job - well I can always dream).  Last mile 300 foot incline for fun.  I always save the fun for last.  Legs nearly seized up on one of those hills.

ETA -  Mary, how much were the cats in the cage?  I have never heard of that.  Usually when you bring a cat home it gets free run of the house, of at least confinement to one room for a day or two.  It needs to find lots of safety spots to go hide in, say when a dog comes into the room and also needs to get orientation of everything.  All our cats 4, took about 1 week to get comfortable in the house, then we would let them outside.  They would always come back.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Enke - we did just as the shelter told us to do.   Leave them in the cage for a week (or more would be better) then just let them loose.   We kept them in the cage for 8 days and then the garage for another day before letting them loose.  I think they'll come around - at least I am hoping so.   There are plenty of mice in the woods to keep them busy in the meantime!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Run done.  Day 31 in the streak.  I need this now more than ever.

Contractor is removing trees and mud.  He is surveying the land around the house.  Waiting waiting waiting for the adjuster.  In the meantime I put in my FEMA application today and our neighbor, a former NO lawyer who dealt with Katrina, and his friend the adjuster, will hopefully also assess the house and advocate our case.

Thanks all for your interest and support.

And for those who missed the story, here it is: We are Nashville

lamerunner

Greetings and great running!  After spending a couple of hours in the ER last night ( not my normal evening), I slept in a bit and RAL. Ended up running 6.2 or so from the Y with a couple of guys I used to run and travel to  races with. We are all slower now, me especially.  It was nice having company and chatting, though the 8:00-8:10 pace felt fast 

About the ER, Dh sharpened the knives.  That is my story and I am sticking to it. 10 stitches in my left thumb.  Ouch. Tried for an hour to get it to stop bleeding and persuade myself it was not that deep then gave up and dorve over the the hospital. in and out in 90 minutes though. I guess it you have to lacerate yourself  Wednesday is the day, at least in Manchester.  Cinqo de mayo did not seem to affect things much.

Glad CNY and Holly got to run; sounds like fun!

I guess it you have to lacerate yourself  Wednesday is the day, at least in Manchester.  Cinqo de mayo did not seem to affect things much.

At least not until later at night.

Mary - Keep putting food out for them, unless you think it'll draw other critters (?).  Hopefully, they're just scared.  If you know they're eating, keep putting the food closer to the garage until you are putting inside.  They'll figure it out.

Trent - I haven't had a chance to read the article, but I'm thinking positive thoughts for you re the advocacy.

Went to a seminar on probates.  A local judge was the speaker.  Great seminar.  Then I found a parking ticket on my windshield because I forgot to put a frigging quarter in the meter.  $23!  Just doing my part as a concerned citizen to help keep our county afloat financially.   I'm supportive like that, you know.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

I worked through lunch and am just about ready to wrap things up here, but I need to call DH to have him come get my stuff. Then I'm running home from work. Just too nice out, and that'll be perfect for getting home and a little cleaned up and off to the soccer game tonight. Thinking of working from home tomorrow, at least for the morning, if I can get all the guys out of there. When I plan a "work at home" morning I find DH hangs around more than normal and I end up not getting anything done.

Mary, I hope the kitties are ok, and just hanging back. I have to say though, if they're used to being outside on their own, they've probably done just that. Our new cats would always be restricted to in-house only for the first couple of months so they got good and "grounded." But then, we don't have "outside" cats. Hope they come back.