Masters Running

Medical Issues, False Positives, and Should You Get Tested (Read 474 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I know that a false reading on a test during my pregnancy with DD had me worried that DD had a serious birth defect relating to her brain.....Obviously we now know my beautiful and brilliant DD was not actually affected by this defect, but I spent nearly a month of serious fear before a later test revealed there was nothing to worry about.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks for the analysis, TC.  Anything that contributes to us being more informed and participants in our treatment is welcome. 

And you know we're rooting for you.  Think of the Reunion Run we'll plan when you're back!

grins,  and patience......

A

Masters 2000 miles

10k in 1975

If less people got tested, then less people would be sick.

Holly. My DD also tested false positive for a birth defect. I am sure you can imagine my stress level for the remainder of the pregnancy. The test was new at the time. And they found out it gave a lot of false positives. I think I would rather just wait out a pregnancy in hope then worry about some test that came out positive.

TC. thanks for posting this. I dont know what leg injury you have. But I was there (still am sort of). A year and a half off running due to a torn hamstring. I am so glad I waited it out and let it heal naturally than rushed into surgery like my first doctor (not a good guy) recommended.The time will pass and I am certain you will heal. Hugs.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Did somebody say statistics?

Late, but definitely a good posting, TC.  Hope all worked itself out in the meantime.  Sorry I haven't been following the daily for a while so I didn't know about this and don't know what the result was.

I had a similar thing happen with (I believe) an accurate positive.  As some of you know, I was an indoor soccer player.  I already had one ACL reconstructed in my 30's, and when I was about 46 had another issue on the other side.

My doctor did two tests, and I have no idea what the false positive / false negative percentage is for either of them. 

1. MRI - positive for torn ACL.  However, he said, "you're no spring chicken" and recommended against surgery.  So why did he give me the test in the first place?

2. Some weird mechanical thing that tries to slightly dislocate the knee in the direction that the ACL supports.  This was invented by this doctor, by the way.  This one showed negative.  Also by the way, I think the technician who did it was doing it for her first time, and nobody was showing her how to do it.

So after the 2nd test, he said something like, "you have the strongest knee I've ever seen".  Of course, in his mind, his test was "more accurate" than the MRI which actually looks inside.

Anyway, I went back to playing soccer and lasted maybe 2-3 games until it gave out again.  I think test #1 was correctly positive.  I didn't go back to the doctor but stopped playing indoor soccer.  (I agreed I didn't want to get my knee reconstructed and go through the six month recovery).

Eventually I started running, and here I am.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Henrun

T.C., Lou made some good points. MRI's may give you an indication of pathology but it has to be interpreted by the doctor. A couple of years ago Marj went to the orthopedist when her knee was giving her trouble. The doctor was not available and the P.A. ordered an MRI. It showed a slight tear in the meniscus. On the next visit the doctor told her that many people her age get slight tears and surgery is not always indicated. He suggested PT and conservative treatment. It worked. She's doing fine now.