Masters Running

Turkey Day Trots and Fun (Read 313 times)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope everyone is having a good day and hasn't needed to search for the Pepto yet.

Some awesome racing this morning. Walt - whew! Nice finish. Tammy, you must be so proud of your DS - he ran well this morning.

Sarge - you should have sent your wife up here if she wanted some competition. I ran a 5 mile race this morning, and there were 67 women in my age division. I finished 12th with a time of 44:37, 483 overall.  There were 715 total women out running either a 2 or 5 miler today, so she would have had some company. I guess we all gripe about how the age divisions are split. I'm going to be 58, but I'm running with women who are 50. The first place finisher in the 50 - 59 ran a 6:57 mile  

Eliz - best wishes as you help your mother today. I'm sure this will bring back a lot of memories for both of you. It's great you signed up for that half - we'll help you train!

Slo - let us know how that turtle was prepared. Maybe we'll need the recipe.

Steve - you'll have to give Tag an extra treat for waiting while you did your run. How about an extra slice of pie?

We just got home from volunteering at a dinner for people who have no where else to go or have no one to be with on Thanksgiving. The Packer organization allows this to be help in their atrium next to Lambeau Field. Lots of people with lots of sad stories. Give your kids/families an extra hug today.

How many of you will be up at 4:00 AM to hit the "black Friday" sales tomorrow?

Hi, all -- definitely some good racing going on.  Screaming fast, Walt!

We, too, ran a turkey trot 5K this morning -- I heard there were 1500 runners or more.  I guess they ran out of chips and registrations so couldn't time everyone who tried to register this morning, but as it was a charity event they were happy to take the donation.

This is the 3rd year in a row that PDR and I placed the same in our respective age groups.  2007 was 2nd, 2008 was 3rd, and this year was 2nd.  I got beat by a guy who was in the Olympic trials for some distance (I didn't think to ask), who ran 17:25, but my 21:07 was good enough for 2nd AG.  In 2007 he came in 4th overall, and he didn't show up in 2008 (where were the other 2 guys in 2007 and 2009?).

Anyway 21:07 was good enough for some hardware so while I was hoping for a bit of a better time, I'm happy with it.

(And that's all the RR you're gonna get from me Smile )

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Sarge - you should have sent your wife up here if she wanted some competition. I ran a 5 mile race this morning, and there were 67 women in my age division. I finished 12th with a time of 44:37, 483 overall.  There were 715 total women out running either a 2 or 5 miler today, so she would have had some company. I guess we all gripe about how the age divisions are split. I'm going to be 58, but I'm running with women who are 50. The first place finisher in the 50 - 59 ran a 6:57 mile  

Thanks for the invite Jeanne but DW does not want the competition especially that much.  Sounds like that race should have had 5 year age groups & masters awards too. Nice run, btw, that's a very good time.  I could have drove 30 miles to race 5 miles with 2,000 but chose the easy & close one just to test my 5k speed to see where it is at right now.  I hadn't done any 5k's since 1st week of Aug. & that was a hilly CC course so I really did not know what to expect. The guy who finished one step ahead of me got 2nd in 35-39 AG  I hate when that happens.   

Off to MIL's now. 

Enjoy!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.   We are going out to dinner at a nice place on the ocean with Econo's DH and DS.  Can't wait to see them!  Econo had pizza with a bunch of Americans, mostly teachers, in China. 

My Turkey Trot isn't until tomorrow, and is a very small local race.  It is raining cats and dogs at the moment, but I will be there anyway.  Then the next day I get to see, and maybe run a bit with Mariposai!

There was a lot of Turkey Trotting going on today: Sarge (3rd AG), Walt (1st AG), steve (two that Tag was not allowed to participate in), Tammy and son, jlynne, and WRFB and PDR (2nd AG).  eliz, good luck in dealing with your mother.

Nice long run for fatozzig and good job on the speedwork for spareribs.

This morning, it was in the low 40s and there was a light wind.  The predicted rain did not happen while I was out.  I got in 8 miles in about 1:19:30 for a 9:56 pace.

We had a nice Thanksgiving meal with our daughter, son, and daughter in law. 

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  This is the first chance I've had to just sit still all day.  Up at 4am to cook, then the Turkey Trot, then a neighborhood party, more cooking, ate dinner here (just WRFB, me and dawndaughter2), and finally we took dinner over to dear-old-dad and I fed him all his favorites that my mom used to cook for us all. 

Whew - I'm beat.

My 5k this morning was 25:31 - 20 seconds off my PR from last year.  I just wasn't feeling it this year - tired I guess.  But it was great to see so many families out doing something healthy so early in the day.

JLynne - you've got a kind heart.    I heard the Packers won today.  There was a big note in my dad's room, reminding the staff to turn on the game for him.  He's a huge Packer fan, and while he doesn't see well enough to follow the action, I think he enjoys listening.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Thanksgiving!

Some very nice racing going on today! 

9 miles for me today, which included a 5-mile Turkey Trot.  DH did the 1-mile walk.  This is the first time he’s come out for one of these events, and I was proud of him.

Mini RR:  35° and breezy but dry, with a record number of registrants (nearly 7,000) heading out in an out-and-back along a one-lane road, I realized early on that this wasn’t going to be a “race” event for me.  To be honest, I was relieved to be able to settle into a don’t try to kill yourself pace, since I seem to have slowed considerably in the last couple months.  I even enjoyed some conversations along the way.  Still, a good hard effort.  Finishing time: 42:16 (8:27)

No Thanksgiving Feast at my dad’s, due to kitchen remodel going on, so I chose to do a simple backed chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, brocalli, sweet potatoes, rolls and apple pie for just the four of us, worked on removing a virus from my home computer and putting up Christmas decorations around the house.  We're having a small dinner party here Saturday night with some friends of my DH's from work, so I didn't want to spend 2 days of my 4-day-weekend cooking all day. 

Tammy – I made those ginger snaps today, and they are TASTY!  Super speedy DS you have there, btw.

I got a call last night, and have been hired by H&R Block as a part-time tax preparer for the upcoming season.  I’ll have training the next 2 weeks 4 nights/week and Saturday, but when the season starts I’m just going to work 8-10 hours/week.  Not a lot of money the first year, since I won’t be skilled enough to do complex returns, but the best part is I can do our own taxes, saving us about $350.

No Black Friday shopping for me tomorrow.  Instead, we go cut our Christmas tree down from a local tree farm, followed by hot cocoa in the barn in front of a fire - a holiday tradition for us. 

I have so much to be grateful for, this holiday season, but a special thanks to all you folks here at RA, who daily touch my heart, teach me new things, and make me smile.  THANK YOU!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

You are a good wife Tammy....Pie is good.

Your holiday tradition sounds uber kewl Holly. We have a fake tree that the cat climbs.

SteveP

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

A lot of speedsters out there, compared to me at least. My son and I ran the Atlanta Half Marathon this morning, he finished in 1:37, a pb,  and I finished in 3:00:26, 40 sec off my pb on a challenging hilly course. Am hoping the run used up all the calories we had for dinner!

bob e v
                    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

The Feaster Five in Andover is our running groups big race and it attracted 9000 runners this year!!  We also had Dave McGillvery,  Bill Rodgers, Joan Benoit Samuelson, and the Hoyts as our celebraties!!  My younger 2 sons met me there as I worked all night -- they did the 5k and waited for dear old mom to finish her 5 miles then i introduced my "babies" to a bunch of my running friends!!  So fun!!

1.5 mile warmup then 5 mile road race in 43:29!!  my best 5 miler i think and after working all night!!  77/284 for my age group

sleep well my friends and may all your days be blessed!!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, some speedy racing going on today!  And some BIG races!  Small races are more fun 'cause they're not crowded and you stand a better chance of an award. Congrats on AG placements for the Beers and Walt! 

Tammy, you have a speedy youngster there.  And Deez, great that two of your boys ran today, too.

Tammy, I also baked two pumpkin pies last night, one to bring to my sister's and one for home consumption.  I think pumpkin pie is DH's favorite food.

I won my AG in my 4.5 mile solo run around Laramie this afternoon.  Tazzie and Ladybug beat me, but they're younger, even in dog years.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.  Some fantastic racing out there.  You better watch out, Walt.  Looks like Tammy's DS could give you a run for your money soon.

Participated in our 5k Turkey Trot this a.m.  My coach ran with me again, which always helps to push me.  I thought I had faster 5k than last year, but I was actually a couple of seconds slower.  I'm gonna chalk it up to tired legs from my great 10-miler yesterday.

It's been a lazy day for us today.  Besides the run and making a big crock pot of beans, we've been slugs.  It's been really nice.

Hope your Turkey Day went well -

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Slo

Hope everyone enjoyed Family, Friends, Food and races !

Some pretty damn nice performances there Masters....Nice job on the hardware !

I'm jonesing to race in a very bad way......