Masters Running

Pre Turkey Tuesday 11/26/19 (Read 40 times)

Joe, most of those Dumbrunner posts have me laughing out loud.

I had a busier day than usual, driving down to get my car serviced and on the way back had lunch at a new Panera and stopped at a couple bike shops. At one, they offered a test ride on an e-bike that I was interested in, and on another unseasonably warm day I went ahead even though I hadn't planned on it. Got back home in time to drive into Rochester with my DW to run an errand and then we walked about 2 miles round trip to the place where I picked up my shirt and bib for Thursday's Turkey Trot. Whew!

Hoping for a more relaxing pre-Thanksgiving day tomorrow, other than a couple hours making Thursday's apple pie. And oh yeah, I just got an email from the power company warning about tomorrow's 50mph winds; we'll be lucky to get through it without a power outage, although that's a less stressful situation knowing that we have backup power.

I hope you all will be enjoying the upcoming holiday whether traveling or just staying at home like us.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Joe- that is hilarious and I get asked EVERY ONE of those at some point or another if the group is large enough.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quick post and I'll try to catch up tomorrow.  I got up early and got in 7 miles before work.  After work I did teach spin.  Will now finish packing and drive home....hopefully with light traffic.

Have a greta night everyone!

TammyinGP

We did get nailed with some snow and I left work a bit too late at 1:30 because I already had enough snow on my hill that my passenger car (Fusion) had zero traction to get going up the hill and I had to park it at the bottom and walk uphill home, 3/4 mile, in the snow, in my work shoes, that didn't have a whole lot more traction than my tires frankly! lol.  But then my neighbor, who likes to have an excuse to put his snow blade on his quad, got out there when he found out my car was at the bottom of the hill, and plowed the whole road so my DH could go down there and get my car which is now parked safely at home.

Insurance company already decided to total David's car based just on the photos of the damage he emailed them. But now comes the fun of negotiating a fair amount. They'll go just based on BB value but we just put all new tires on it in Sept and David just bought a new battery for it a couple wks ago, so with the receipts for those since they are recent purchases, they should throw in another $500 on top of FMV.  but since mechanically it's fine and there are no issues with steering, David wants to keep the car and just bank the money for when he decides to buy something else. So we'll have to pay a bit, maybe a couple hundred, to re-title it. There are spin-outs and accidents all up and down I-5 today so we are just so relieved he's home. Could have been so much worse so definitely have much to be thankful for!

I'm off work until Monday so I guess it can snow all it wants now because I don't have any place I need to go. Just don't want to lose power since I'm the pie baker for Thursday.

hills are steeper than they appear:

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

My best advice to you is to make yourself as "long" in the water as you can...relax...

and roll from side to side more than you think you need to

. . .

Most of our barriers are self-imposed.

Brian - totally, totally excellent.
            Most people assume that I must hate swimming because I'm so slow but I've learned the "long" feeling of stretching arms out and pointing toes back to slide through the water with smooth, full body rolls to breath almost looking up to the sky (instead of just frantically sticking your head up or just turning the head sideways at the neck).  In fact, I often pretend I'm like a big blue whale cruising along the surface. The longest I've ever swum is five 2.4 milers but I'm pretty sure, though it would make what you and Holly call "slow" be Olympics fast, a relaxing style could easily stretch it out to ten or more if I was dropped off way offshore or in the middle of a huge lake and I didn't have to change directions every 25 yards, etc. as happens in pool swimming I so much admire you and Holly, and sometimes, Roch, for being able to do.  Anyone else? In fact, I'd love to be dropped off in the middle of the ocean to swim/float around for a couple of hours.

Joe/Tramps - with having seen two huge, two-floor vinyl shops of old albums and records, I realized that my two boxes of ancients probably aren’t worth much. However, is it just people like me with old record players who can play and listen to them? I’ve never seen any for sale.
            ps - I’ve never heard that vinyls are better quality than CD, . . . and didn’t know that CD’s are dying out to downloads, either. No wonder I love running so much. Thanks all.

Tramps - thanks. I kind of look forward to trying to set up my own playlists in personalized category folders but’ll probably wait until I’m watching Thanksgiving football or something to distract me from getting too frustrated and stressed as usually happens when people who program these things like to show how smart they are by making them as complicated as possible, like having to buy a Boeing 747 to drive down the road to the next town, and never testing on someone like me who’d tell them to have a link to genre, singers, titles and then just click them into whatever order is desired. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)