Masters Running

Monday, November 4th runs and stuff (Read 43 times)

PBJ I ran the New Jersey Marathon in 2006 and 2007.  I know the course has changed since then and who knows about the organization.  However, based on both from way back then it was about the most spectator friendly course ever constructed.  If you family came to cheer you on they could find you at the start, 5 miles in, mid-way, 18 miles in and the finish without going more than a few hundred yards.  The course was flat and scenic enough, although it was a double loop which some people dislike but I am fine with.  In terms of organization, it still remains the best organized marathon I have ever run!  Whoever was in charge was brilliant.  From start to finish.  Of course, since 2007 everything may have changed!  At the very least I believe the course has been completely revamped.

Off I went today for 14 miles with zombies in tow for the last 8.  The creators of Zombies Run! have added a few Halloween bonus missions.  They are quite cute and entertaining in a somewhat comical Halloween way.  I have one left to go.  My one complaint is the weather.  It was freezing!!  Argh!  Where is my 70° walk out the door and feel warm and happy weather!  Angry  Instead it was below freezing and I had to put on long pants, a long shirt, a running jacket, hat and gloves.  Who the heck thought this cold weather thing was a good idea?  AngryAngry

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Who the heck thought this cold weather thing was a good idea?  AngryAngry

That would be me. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Me. too.Smile  Maybe not QUITE as hard core as Tramps, but I've been going below my normal 40° shorts cutoff and enjoying it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

Yesterday - a fun run in NYC with 72,000 of my closest friends.  And by close I mean constantly bumping into and weaving around.  I made the mistake of estimating my finish time at 3:45 for seeding.  So I started in wave 2.  By the time I finished (3:32 net time), I must have run over 27 miles.

Truly a once in a lifetime experience.

+++++  PBJ - you exaggerate - only 50,000 - and i agree to once only!  I had a great time and was surprised how well I felt having not run for the last month.  It killed my endurance for the last 8K resulting in a 5:14.  However, I'm giving up on marathons and sticking to shorter distances.  The security was heavy and made everyone feel very safe.  Thanks for all your support yesterday, and it's good to be home.

marj

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Sticking my head in to congratulate the weekend's racers.  So good to see so many great people in motion!  Even if the last 8k might not be what one wishes.

For that matter, I have not had a marathon in which the last 8k was what one might wish.

Boy's knee seems to be getting somewhat better, which is good, because the Girl got kicked in the knee at a soccer game on Sunday and we were back at ER.  Although I chose to go to the one across town.

Unfortunately, Goliath's crutches, now replaced by a cane, are too big for Mlle.  *sigh*

(((( Karin ))))

Marathon Maniac #957

For that matter, I have not had a marathon in which the last 8k was what one might wish.

Oh, few have done so, I think.  Although Moab was the first I have done with an obstacle course for the last 5k (no kidding Tramps), complete with creek crossings on logs, ladders up and down, drainage pipes to go through, cliff walls to squeeze through, deep chutes to slide/scrape down holding shrubbery, and small cliffs to climb down and up using ropes.  At that point in the race, I was very annoyed.

No run for me today, as it was a travel day back home (to find the house a disaster - which took up the rest of the day).  Knees are feeling  better, though.  Sore but not much injured, I think. (Whew!)

I have read, but no time to reply.  You are all awesome though!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Mustang Sally, sorry to hear that you had to go to the ER one more time.

Holly, I am dying to read your full report of Moab!  I am glad you had a blast, even when the course was very challenging.

Twocat, I must download the Halloween Zombies, run episodes. Good job in not getting caught today. I sure do not know how you can do it.

Erika, enjoy your trip and I hope you can find a time to run.

Well Monday nights have been my speed work night and knowing that we can get snow at any time now (which means no track available until April) I decided to go to the track tonight even when it was getting dark when I started my run from the house.

Warm up run to the track, then did the following:

800m@4:10 with 200m intervals

800m@4:04 with 200m intervals

800m@4:02with 200m intervals

800m@4:00 with 200m intervals

800m@4:05 with 200m intervals

800m@3:59 with 200m intervals

These were about 10' slower than last week, but this was my first experience in running speed work in the darkJoking, so I am happy with the time.

Ohh, I must admit that since our track has no lighting I used my headlamp to shine my path (Wink).

It was 45F when I started and 35F when I finished my last lap. Rather comfortable running weather I may add, but I was a bit chilly on the way back home.Sad

I wonder what those who saw me go around and around the track with my headlamp on thought of me

Ohhh...did you guys know that MARJ rocks!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Ohhh...did you guys know that MARJ rocks!!!!!

So true! So true!

Mustang Sally and Holly....all of a sudden I am rubbing my knees. yikes! I hope your kiddos will have happy knees soon MS and good news that there's no injury---just sore. What an amazing adventure you had in Moab.

Hudson and I went on a walk after a day of meetings  with a local client (me, not Hudson...). Already dark at 5:30 pm we ambled and wandered for about 3 miles under the emerging stars. He was either ignoring the squirrels or sensed that I needed to take it slow. I'll run just a few miles tomorrow ---run to the polling place to vote and home. and then start building the miles back gently. I've got a 6k race in Franklin Park on Sunday with the team and then just fun stuff without points attached for awhile.

And Kathrine Switzer liked my MCM post on Facebook. I'll retire now I think, ha!

mustang sally

Bad faerie

And Kathrine Switzer liked my MCM post on Facebook. I'll retire now I think, ha!

<notworthy>