Masters Running

New Month Tuesday, 8.1.17 (Read 33 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Today is a day off from running for me.

I received a call call from Ryan, today.  His dog was electrocuted and died.  He was very upset.  All I could do was listen to him cry and tell me how much he loves him.  It just breaks my heart to hear him like that and be so far away from him.  I called him a couple hours later and he's still just as bad.

Ryan rents a room in a farmhouse.  He moved there so that his dog would have a place to run and be able to be outside while he's at work.  Well, I guess an old tree branch broke off and pulled a power line down in the yard.  His dog was out playing with another dog and ran into the line.

It's going to be tough for him for a while..

Okay--I'll let you all go.  I'm waiting outside a place where Eric is seeing his probation officer.  I sure lead a fun like, don't I?  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave - after a couple of weeks with a 9-yo GD and another week coming up, 4,000 miles just sitting in the driver's seat might be a break.

\

However, how does marj divert beach for historic tours and calligraphy?

Good job. I don't think it would have worked during last weekend

in Idaho with my GS.

jay - not only saw dozens of deer but also a cow moose.

Do you or anyone ever see any of the Maine ones?

I know they're commonplace for Erika

but don't know about summertime up there.

/

GS also saw and grabbed to hold his first garter snake.

Never made it to the beach - spent about 3 hours touring john adams and john quincy adams homes and GD opted out of beach or lake, so we came home with a quill pen for her to try calligraphy.  after yesterday's 8 miler, it was good to have a rest day.

ps holly - everyone's advice keeps getting better and better.

Remember, it's now about you. It's about both of you cooperating

to expose the kids to as many things life offers to do as possible

so they can make their own decisions on what they're

interested in when the time comes.

ps twocat - just like I say, "neat" and put on the headphones

or take a nap when next to non-stop blabbers on the plane

I ditch or drop back from the non-stoppers in marathons.

However, I usually turn friends off with a "at my stage,

that's not of any interest anymore." However, you're

still too you for that ploy.  Good luck.

I got rained out of a half I wanted to do a couple of weeks ago but I'll keep on plodding along.

huh?  You really bailed out of a half because it was raining

or are you just trying to humor two-cat and the no-running-

in-the-rain rule followed by some people who live in more

favorable climates than out here in the PNW.

However,  tpdau is our 46th day without rain and tempt into the nineties,

maybe ever up to 100, for the rest of the week are generating extreme heat

advisories and lists of places, including police stations with AC for cooling down.

It's almost the same panic we seen if there's an inch of snow or two.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Twocat - running should be a "politics-free" zone.

Dave - those are Cincinnati activities, but don't you live in WV?  Also, the Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal is a really cool option that Annabelle might like.

Carolyn - as fit and trim as your DH is, that lack of energy is alarming.  Glad you are getting it checked out.

{{{Ryan}}}

So, miracle of miracles, DH decided to come with us on our hike today!  I was reading the glowing reviews of this hike from Tripadvisor out loud this morning, including one from a man in his late-50's who is 125 lbs overweight who said just take lots of walk breaks and it is not bad, and DH said, "Maybe I should try it."  Yay!

But it almost didn't happen.  We drove to the trailhead, but there was no parking left, so we drove back to the park and ride, and that lot was full, too, so we drove a short distance to Sprague Lake, where supposedly a shuttle would take us back to the park and ride to catch another shuttle to the trailhead.  After waiting there 20 minutes, DH said, "Tell you what - I will just drop you and DS off and will come back to pick you up later.  However, when we got back to the trailhead, there was now a parking spot.  Whew!  And we had a lovely time.  We took our time, took many short breaks and photo opts, really it was not bad at all - DH held up great.  The hike took us to 3 very different lakes, each quite lovely, along streams and through pines with many stunning overlooks.  The last lake, Emerald Lake, was at about 10,100 feet elevation, but DH was fine - I think we are growing accustomed to the elevation a bit.  With our slight wanderings for pictures, just under 4 miles.

I only wish DD had come.  She wasn't feeling well last night and begged off due to intestinal difficulties.

Got out for 5.4 running miles this morning before we left.  Saw lots of hoofprints but no elk today.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, mountain, sky, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: 1 person, mountain, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, outdoor and nature

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, that's great that your DH went for the hike!  I remember several years ago I took my parents on a hike in Rocky Mtn Natl Park, and I told them it was okay to just go slow and take breaks.  We actually noticed so much more along the trail than if we had been walking the whole time, and by the end my mom was making it sound like it was all her idea to go slow and pay attention to all the beautiful wildflowers and stuff..  

Mike, I'm so sorry about Ryan's dog.  That's tough.

6.5 miles around the neighborhood this afternoon.  DH is going in for a treadmill stress test at his cardiologists tomorrow - hope they'll figure out what's going on.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.