Masters Running

Marathon Training - 2 Week Taper or 3 Week Taper? (Read 716 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

In training for the few marathons I've done so far, I've run my last 20-miler three weeks out from the marathon, basically a long run taper schedule of 20+, 12-15, 8-10, race. I’ve heard some people say they prefer a 2 week taper to a 3 week taper. Which do you use for your marathons, and why do you like it?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

I obviously have no real experience trying to answer your question. But I personally think a two week taper is better both mentally, and physically. I guess I can't imagine three weeks out, being my last 20 plus miler....vs two weeks. Tapering 3 weeks, that would really really drive me nutty...ok, insert wise cracks here Tongue TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

I've wondered the same thing, Tim, but I guess what I'm wondering about is whether 2 weeks is enough time to recover completely before the race.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Sure it's enough time....got me through my 16 mile Marathon Clowning around. Seriously, I personally think two weeks is enough time, if a person tapers wisely. I did a two week taper for my first Marathon, and will admit I felt really good and my 16 miles were at my desired pace, and going strong....till the stoopid foot thing. Hey, what would it hurt for you to try a two week taper for one of your less important Marathons (B Race)...to experiment around and see how you feel. Wanted to add too, that when ever I raced 1/2 Ironman Triathlons, I did a two week taper also...one week once which was my quickest one.... and these races are a little over 5 hours for me. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

The usual advice is 2 week for low-mileage runners. How do you feel after your last 20-miler? Does it really wipe you out? I think I did 3 weeks for my first two marathons, but have switched to 2 weeks with no problem (on 50 or fewer miles/wk). Within a few days of a 20-miler ( I did one 2 days ago), I'm feeling strong again.
            xor

taper, schmaper. (the real answer for most people: "it depends", but I know a lot more folks who do 3 weeks than 2 weeks)

Marathon Maniac #957

Fortunate One - nice to see you! Timbo - good point about trying it for one of my "B races." The marathon I'm hoping to be an "A" effort is the Columbus Marathon in October, but I'm doing the ORRRC marathon on April 5 - that would be a good one to try the 2-week taper and see how it feels.

FWIW Pfitz has a "three week" taper. But, the first week of it is really just a cut back week followed by what most people would think of as a two week taper.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

FWIW, I've done 3 weeks in the past but I've come to think it's too long, especially since my training is not as aggressive as others'. I'm trying 2 weeks this cycle.

Be safe. Be kind.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Depends how long your training plan is. For a 20 week plan, I go with a 3 week taper - 24-28 miles 3 weeks out, 16 miles two weeks out, and 10-12 miles one week out. For a 16 to 18 week plan, I try to do a 20+ miler two weeks from race day. Your mileage may vary.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I think the key is to keep the quality of runs high and cut back on mileage for the taper. Yes, Pfitzinger's plans have a 3 week taper with a cutback week as the third week. How that cutback week goes will determine how effective the two following weeks will be. If you run this week too hard, 2 weeks may not be suffceint. Too easy and taper is too long. There have been a few marathons where I've sustained an injury during that 3rd week. The 3rd and 4th weeks out are critical times because you are the strongest aerobically and yet the body is on the edge of breaking so it's easy to over do it. my 2 cents Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Ultrachick

Check out this article from running Times last November by Greg McMillan http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=14759 A different point of view. I think I do a 2-3 week taper, depends on the race-is it a race or an expensive training run. Kelly
                          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Marathon Maniac #957

Kelly - good article. I especially like the part about not reducing the number of running days during taper, just reducing the time you are running. I will try that next time. Too many days off can leave me feeling sluggish. Perhaps a 3-mile run would be better than an extra day off.

evanflein

Well, like srlopez, I have to say it depends... on how far out your next marathon is! He does way more than I do, but when I was doing one every 3-6 weeks the focus was on recover/rebuild/taper, and the first two phases would usually get just a week. Like Twocat, I consider the first week of a three-week taper to be like a typical cutback week. Then the second week, instead of building up again you just cut back a bit, for me mainly on the long run. But the cutback is on time/distance, not necessarily "quality" or effort. Not that I'm out there doing intensive intervals the week before the marathon, but some half mile repeats at MP, striders and some sprints are fine.