Masters Running

Tuesday, April 5th--I guess a short TM run will have to do for the start............. (Read 37 times)

C-R

Good ref twocat. Thank you. I'm all about research. Surgery is a last option for me. Always has been.

Henrun - what you're describing is me to a tee. Got better with some rehab but as soon as I stressed it (in this case walking 9 holes of golf) it swells and is like a 4 on the runner's pain scale which might be a 6 on the non-long distance runner scale.

What did it for me was the MRI where both the sports doc and surgeon confirmed the tear. So I'm a bit skeptical with surgeons as its their job to operate. Its what they do but my surgeon explained that my injury is in the limited/non-vascular area so healing on its own is less than 5%. Coupled with the point that the tear has folded under the joint and is causing the irritation the best solution is to clean out the area. Actually the worst part of this is the bursa swelling at the back of the knee.

Moebo - thanks for that insight. I'm glad your surgery went well and I hope mine track similarly.

I'm looking at the end of the month for surgery with a few weeks for recovery.

Thanks for all the input. Just confirms this is a great group.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

[[[ CR ]]]

[[[ wildchild]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I strongly suspect I had a medial meniscus tear of some degree in my knee.  It started about 18 months ago.  It's taken that long to heal on its own, running on and off.  Everything will heal eventually, but it sounds like the surgery will make things go more quickly for you, CR.  I am just glad that my knee seems to be finally much better.

Slept in, again.  Need to run a bit tonight.  Got to try out my new Garmin!  It seems to simple, ya know?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just dropping in to say and say that I ran 10 miles with 3 x 2 faster miles thrown in.

C-R--that really stinks about the knee.  I hope it heals quickly for you.

Oh--and I just read Tom's post about the eye doctor appointment.  When he asked her if he could run, I'm sure she figured--"Why not?  How far could a 72 year old man possibly run?"  She, obviously, doesn't know Tom very well.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  I think Mike pegged you TomS!

so sorry CR and wild.....heal quickly and good luck with surgery.

I am for sure wearing tights and a whole lot else in Virginia Sunday.  Rosie, let's figure out how to find each other.

What marathon are you doing Holly?

14+ for me today.  (2 shifts)

and the RS won⚾️❤️👏🏼.

grins

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Oh--and I just read Tom's post about the eye doctor appointment.  When he asked her if he could run, I'm sure she figured--"Why not?  How far could a 72 year old man possibly run?"  She, obviously, doesn't know Tom very well.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mornin' Glories ~~

Portland Marathon - What's the skinny as to when people are showing up, etc.?  If I drive 8 hours (one way) just to see you all, you'd better make it worth my while!    Tammy - Are you going, or are you interested in going as a cheerer-on-er?

No tights, huh, Stumpy?  Just a long sleeve shirt?  Ain't that gonna be a bit chilly for the nether regions???

6 miles this a.m. in crisp conditions under a star-filled sky.  My legs were still squawking a bit from Sunday's run, but it went better than I anticipated.  I was supposed to go in this morning to get blood drawn for an annual work up, but (a) I didn't get up early enough to get to the lab and then get to work on time and (b) I forgot the "nothing for 12 hrs" thing and chewed gum on my run.  Don't know if the gum would affect anything, but decided to go tomorrow instead.

Stumpy, take photos of our outfit, please?

Leslie, crisp conditions sound wonderful but only if I they are without the wind. Our forecast is forcing me to the gym tomorrow. These intervals will be hard enough on Wednesday. Today, just to make you guys realize the enormity of this wind.... the Tornado Siren itself toppled over today.  I have been driving by the street lamps with trepidation after I heard that.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY

STRONG AND GUSTY NORTHWEST WINDS OF 30 TO 50 MPH WILL SPREAD
                ACROSS THE AREA WEDNESDAY. AFTER A LULL IN THE WINDS WEDNESDAY
                NIGHT...ANOTHER ROUND OF STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS OF 35 TO 45 MPH
                WILL IMPACT THE AREA THURSDAY.

RE:Portland

Leslie, I plan to arrive on  Friday on a plane that does not crash from South Dakota straight to Portland. If I come out of Minneapolis, will try my darndest to be on a different plan than MikeE. Although I have never been on a crashed plane, just a hijacked one (after it was put back in service, bullet hole and all. My luck factor has yet to be determined but I do pray more than most.  I am comimg on Friday 'cause that is when Holly said she is coming. I think there is always a parade when Holly arrives, right?  I am staying for quite a while  staying with a friend.will come back to Mn when I start Missing MrStarr or if he really, really can't find something. Can I get a ticket like that?

Do you know that there were pioneer women who just walked out into the wind and kept walking and walking  and that was that. They never returned

oh, I went to the Y and just biked but got nowhere. I was home before that spin class even started. We have our bikes ready go for that day when the wind does not blow.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

I am comimg on Friday 'cause that is when Holly said she is coming. I think there is always a parade when Holly arrives, right?

Since I am coming all the way across the country, I will likely come in on Friday and leave on Monday morning.  I haven't looked at flights yet, although I suppose I ought to soon.  Who is in charge of looking for a house rental at homeaway or vrbo.com?  (I was sort of hoping one of the west coasters would do it this time...)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."