Masters Running

Late RR.... Philly Distance Half. Old guy gets older and slower. (but no dry heaves) (Read 171 times)

I posted this over at KR but now I see that everyone is over here.... Quick Result: 1:18:44 - 4th AG. A bit off my time from last year - but last year's 1:18:17 was 6th place so maybe it was a slow morning. My training had been going well, so I was hoping for a bit faster time, but overall it was a nice race. - Cool at the start and heating up during the race. An important safety tip would be not to drive a car with a manual transmission to races where you are driving home. - I had terrible cramps in the calf of my clutch leg and almost rear-ended the guy in front of me several times while creeping along in a traffic jam. I'm not sure the slower time bodes well for shooting at 2:40 in November... perhaps I've finally gotten old (if not mature). Ray
    TammyinGP

1:18:44 {gulp} slow schmo. but that was 4th in your AG??? Shocked wowzers! Congrats Ray!

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Although I responded to your other post on Kick, I wanted to add just two observations. First is that I follow your training pretty closely, especially because you follow much of Tinman's philosophy, so when I saw the PDR report I jumped right in. Somehow I thought this race was a ten-miler. So I'm reading the report and wondering, "what is Ray doing fooling around with a 78 minute ten mile race?" Was this race always a half marathon? Also, from now on, no matter how you run, I can't help but think that you are the other Sheltie owner. Good luck to you Ray. You are running superbly and are in great shape for the big race. Spareribs
          Although I responded to your other post on Kick, I wanted to add just two observations. First is that I follow your training pretty closely, especially because you follow much of Tinman's philosophy, so when I saw the PDR report I jumped right in. Somehow I thought this race was a ten-miler. So I'm reading the report and wondering, "what is Ray doing fooling around with a 78 minute ten mile race?" Was this race always a half marathon? Also, from now on, no matter how you run, I can't help but think that you are the other Sheltie owner. Good luck to you Ray. You are running superbly and are in great shape for the big race. Spareribs
          Thanks Ribs... - but Tache (aka Killer) is a English Shepard. - (but I know what you mean). - the PDR has always been a half-marathon - you are probably thinking of the Broad Street Run. (a 10 miler). I felt pretty good after the race - and went out too fast to do a quick 12 today with 10 @MP.... I was jammed for time so I skipped warmup and started out fast... Pulled something around 3 miles in...Now it hurts just to walk. Funny thing is that when you've had a dozen stress fractures, muscle pulls don't scare you much. But I ramble... Thanks for your kind words.... post a pkcture of the riblet beast when you get a chance. Ray
            Ray Moose, that's an incredibly fast half. The rest of us can only dream of 1:18. About driving a manual transmission: you should try driving an Army Hummvee. I have a military driver's license, which not everyone does, so I am often assigned to drive one. When I climb out after driving for a couple of hours in a convoy, where I have to constantly speed up and slow down to maintain my place in the line of vehicles, I stagger around for a while because my right leg is so tired and sore. It can't be good for me. Dark Horse
            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
              Ray - wow, you ran a great race!! I suspect you would have easily beat last year's time if it had been a bit cooler. I was hoping to PR in this race as well, but the heat did me in. Darn muscle pull - wishing you a speedy recovery. I think a 2:40 is still in your future for November - the weather will be much more conducive to fast running.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

wildchild

Carolyn

Ray, "old" and "slow" are relative terms! You're younger than many of us here, and faster than most. And at 4th in your AG, you're faster than most of them, too! Awesome racing! Oh, and getting more mature as you get older is overrated anyway. Evil grin

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Ray, That is an awesome time and race. I could only wish..but you have motivated me to give it a try next Sunday..well sub 1:20 that is. Of course 2:40 is still possible! It's just going to take some work and you have the work attitude to do it. I have always looked up to you as a runner and this race continued to keep you way up there. Way to go Ray Tall

Recent Best times: None recently