Masters Running

Wednesday July 29 Master Runs and Workbouts (Read 414 times)

TammyinGP

just popping in to say Hi All!

Tammy

afternoon folks!!  no run for me today or any of the past days since my 4 miles on saturday -- worked 3 nights in a row and had some trying times with son -- he's had a rough couple of days with more confusion and paranoid thoughts but we are working with the therapist and hospital -- one hour one day at a time for us........i appreciate all your thoughts and prayers so much!!    hopefully i can get a run in and destress tonight after some of this H&H abates and dh will be home to keep an eye on things.

SteveP -- you are a crack up!!  (just reread yesterdays thread)

Cranium -- congrats on your synthesis presentation (altho i have no idea what that is)  and your thoughts on making sure you wife feels loved and appreciated is inspiring -- we celebrated 27 years last friday and it is a wonderful place to be but comes with work, patience, understanding and love.

Holly, Breger, Mariposai -- your speed is so impressive!!

Teresa - i am hoping to be at the campground this weekend if things are calm with ds -- he did enjoy it this past weekend -- i know you're running Beach2Beacon saturday but if you're up to a recovery run sunday let me know, i may stay up during the week depending on ds -- you have my cell number in your inbox - would love to meet up with you anytime!!

denise

evanflein

Ribs... something wrong with that link.

I run like Harriet. Seems like more fun to me. If this stuff isn't fun, why are we doing it?

SteveP -

After having to unstaple and copy a stack of papers a ream thick this a.m. - <rant on> I firmly believe that people who double staple documents, use dinky little staples, and or use staples that staple so frigging tight it takes an act of God to get it out of the document, should be flogged to within an inch of their lives with steel cables covered in thousands of open staples.  %*&#$%  %^%^&*($#   !$%&*^%    <rant off>

Okay - I feel better.

Now then, to my predawn activities.  3 feel good miles, which included having the crap scared out of me by either a possum or raccoon that I probably scared the crap out of in the first place, followed by 1.25 hours of core/strength training.  I feel like I got some good sleep last night (which is rare), but it's 12:30 and I'm fading.  Hopefully lunch will kick in soon and help.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Ribs... something wrong with that link.

I run like Harriet. Seems like more fun to me. If this stuff isn't fun, why are we doing it?

Yes I see.   There is an extra http// in there.  Click on it anyway and your google toolbar will ask you if you really mean... and then click on that.  Sorry.  Spareribs

deez - good to hear from you.  Continuing to send healing vibes to your DS.

Teresa - Re: "Amherst" with no "h:"  if you're ever in my neck of the woods and want to sound like a local, be sure not to pronounce the first "r" in Swarthmore.  It should sound like "swath"-"more."  Smile

Really and truly did get up to run early this morning, but we were in the middle of a wild thunderstorm.  Promptly fell back to sleep until 9 a.m.  Spent the morning learning some new stuff on the computer with which to hopefully continue to wow the young'uns that I teach with.  Paddled for 2 hours this afternoon against a strong wind most of the way.  On the way back, I basically just steered without paddling and got back from the nearest bridge (a trip that generally takes 15 minutes or so when I'm paddling) in about 12 minutes. 

Beach walk tonight in the crazy wind, if the thunderstorms hold off.  Setting the alarm early again tomorrow in hopes of finally getting to the boardwalk to run, or even to walk.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Mariposai

Simplicity works for me! Life is too complicated everywhere else.

3 easy recovery plust some cherry canning last night. These cherries will taste soooo good in the middle of a snow storm, but  it was a chore to be canning them when it was 103 outside.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Nancy, I use to can fruit just like that .  It made me feel thrifty, and ready to take on the world.  I have kept all my supplies, but haven't canned a thing for years.  I was thinking about you when I was running up in the woods today, by the way, and remembering that Renee' told me before I had ever met you - that you are a really good runner.  True, and neat person also.

I had a  productive 3 and about  3/4 mile run today on the Forest Service Road.  I took up ribbons.  After I got up the trail hill (.433 mile or so) and on the actual road, I ran my pace time for a mile, and tied a ribbon to a branch, then turned around and ran back to my starting point.  Then I went the other direction, which has steeper and more hills, and ran half a mile my pace time , tied another ribbon to a twig, and turned around and came back.  I'm not writing very well about it, but I now have a rough course that I have marked with ribbons, and can use as a guide to how I am doing for time and/or pace.   I ran hard (hey, I don't have to do walk segments any more! Woo Hoo!), and got good and sweaty, then raced myself coming back down my hill trail to home.   A real good and also productive run.   

Keep cool, everyone.  I'm lucky to be on the coast.  About 75 right now.     Woods Lady

evanflein

Wow, you must have a tremendous pantry, Mariposai! I run out of room with just the few things I put up.

Hi Tammy! 

Leslie, I feel your pain re: staples. I've spent a lot of afternoons redoing some files from my predecessor and she sure loved to staple things, multiple times! Must've been acting out some no-staple-frustration from childhood or something.

All this talk of pacing made me want to see if I could find a higher gear today. 

6 mile progressive style run at lunch. 79F and almost 50% humidity, you guys are gonna laugh but it felt downright muggy out there! I was really sweaty when I got back, and had about a thousand gnats stuck to me. Didn't realize how buggy it was out there till I saw all the bodies! Paces were 9:14, 9:00, 8:36, 8:00, 7:30, 8:05 and then walked the .6 mile back up the hill to my office. 

Funny feeling in my legs. They're sore the first (downhill) mile, then get better, and by mile 4 they just feel a little tired. Now that I'm sitting at my desk again, I'll bet they'll be sore when I get up. But every day is a little better.

[ETA: cool trail markers, Woods Lady! Sort of an improvement on the Hansel and Gretel approach.]

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow, you must have a tremendous pantry, Mariposai! I run out of room with just the few things I put up.

When we moved here last year, DH built shelves in the upstairs coat closet and made it into an extra pantry for us.  VERY helpful.  The coats we moved down to a closet by the door to the garage, which is where we enter and leave anyway.

Spareribs - interesting article. "What an athlete is born with is what he or she must live with."  is something that we pretty much already knew, but I didn't realize that there were two types of fast-twitch fibers.  Makes Tinman's intervals make even more sense.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Started a cross country summer series tonight, first of 4 races is 1.9 mile middle school course.  All grass course with some rolling hills.  Finished  in 13:51, 2nd out of 4 grandmasters.  Rain all day, very wet grass, forced me to pick up the feet which good.   5k high school course next Wednesday. 

Mariposai great job with those cherries. 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I can personally testify that Mariposai's cherries are quite good!  Winter or not!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

yummy - those cherries would be delicious on a bowl of ice cream right now!!

just finished 8 steady miles with an average pace of 10:34 - felt strong and steady and was glad i waited til the sun went down!!

nite friends!!

denise

Another popper inner  to say hello Smile

Congrats Craneium!  Hugh stress relief.

Mariposai, my MIL cans quite a bit and we LOVE living so close Smile  We just got some more jam this past weekend.

Thanks for the link Ribs, I'll have to try that weight thing to see about the FT/ST composition.

I traded my run yesterday for pilates work and took my normal rest day today.  I've been having some rt achilles twinges that I'm trying to be proactive about letting heal.  I'm currently icing daily.

Ribs (or others):  I remember you had some achilles troubles a while back.  Any tips on recovery??  I recently read to continue icing for two weeks once there's no longer any pain/twinge. 

Good night Smile

Amie

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)