Masters Running

Friday, 8.19.16 (Read 29 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Speaking of weather: I read that Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. have had 8 rain/flooding events since May of 2015 that have been equal to or have exceeded the level of what is described as a "500 year flood" (meaning a flood level likely to be reached no more frequently than once every 500 years). Even around here, where our weather is pretty tame, we've had 5 "100 year" storms in the last 10 years. Should we all be worried? I keep telling people that the weather has been getting a lot more squirrely ever since we put a man on the moon, but no one listens...

Last night's Saunders At Rye Harbor 10K wasn't as hot as I feared it would be, mostly because there was a slight breeze that was bringing in some cooler air from the ocean. But it was still in the upper 70s and the air was a bit heavy. Even though I had my Garmin on, I decided to just race by how I felt, and not look at any splits. I guess I didn't feel all that fast, because this was my slowest finish in this race since 2010, and I was 2 minutes slower than last year. It seemed that a lot of the runners I regularly see were slowing down as well, and I finished ahead of a woman who I've never beat in a race before. And I was still fast enough to win the 'competitive walker' div, and earned $100, a race shirt (they don't give shirts with registration at this race - you only get one by earning it), a pair of shorts, and a new novel by the RD. DW was happy that I came home with some cash: Like a good husband, I turned it over to her, and like a good wife, she offered to buy breakfast at our favorite dive this morning. So, bye!

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow!  Congratulations, Jay!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jay's a pro!  How many more till you break even?   But if the moon landing was fake, how would that affect the weather?  You could make a few conspiricy theorists' heads explode with that.

Wait----I'm saying that like it's a bad thing.

Hi Mike.  Hope the healing progresses still.

Packing up to leave NC after a long, hot week (of no running).  Once i get home this eaarly evening, I dump out one bag and pack another to head for Maine.  DW is hanging in after a whole week alone with her DF., but desparately wants some other people to distract him.  I suppose at 93 you're allowed to be a cranky old man, but he was also a cranky old man at 73 and 83, so he doesn't get a lot sympathy.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker nice haul! More money than I have even won at a race. Heck, if you won $1 that would be more!

stumpy77 man do you have a lot of traveling in your schedule! This weekend looks really good in CT I hope that is true for you in ME as well.

It looks like the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club will have an opening for a runner for this year's Reach the Beach Relay in New Hampshire. (What can you say, injuries suck.) We leave for the starting area on Thursday 9/15 and return on Saturday. We are not looking to win. Just have a party on wheels for 30 hours! Speed does not count. If you are interested in joining the team send me a note.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Henrun

Congrats Jay. I used to love that race and even won shirts in the old days. The RD is an old friend of mine and was one of my running group eons ago.

This morning I walked/ran (very slowly) 3.1 miles-the longest distance I've done since February. Although my knee surgery is still on, the shot I had 2 months ago has decreased the pain and allowed me to do more walking. Thankful that I can do it.

We've had Marj's DGS here for 4 days and enjoyed his stay. Marj is teaching him piano and he's a fast learner- inherited a keyboard from one of the other grandkids while here.

Seeing LaT and Hally this evening and, possibly, Deeze.

Have a good weekend all.

I loved seeing that -50 degree photo in Alaska again!  It made me feel cool.

Oh yes, Jay, congrats!  Awesome prizes.

Today is going up to 95 F I think?  My poor son has marching band practice on the football field. Hopefully they will do work inside this afternoon.  One year he almost blacked out in the heat.

As for me, I have not run all week.  Sure it's been hot, but I could have gotten out there early before it went up above 75.  Only 7 more weeks to train for Portland.  Guess I will be training just to run it, no speed.

I am thinking of painting my TV room - it's got wood paneling...yes, like circa 1960.  The kids are screaming no, don't do it.  They don't have the same mental association of wood paneling with being the complete opposite of class and style that I do, I guess.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Jay, you cleaned up in your race, being 1st walker and getting money and swag.  henrun, it's great to hear you got in your longest run since Feb.  Nice long run, Twocat.

Yesterday, I managed 5 miles at an 11:42 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

...howdy..

20-LackLuster min PoolRunning

=========

spent 5-hours

FlyFishing yesterday,

EVERYTHING went wrong

from the SluiceGate getting stuck open  at the dam

to blisters on my toes and hands

sunburn,

rained on

ant attacks,

and didn't catch a thing

so

we're going again next week

..........we've had worse

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on the win, Jay!  I've never won money, but I did win a free pair of running shoes, twice!

My run yesterday got cancelled by thunderstorms, because I waited too late in the afternoon.  So today, I went earlier - about 10 am.  Ran a nice 13.6 mile trail loop at Centennial Cone open space.  Good thing I went when I did, since the usual afternoon storms are moving in now.

Stumpy, my condolences on your cranky old FIL. I can't imagine being cranky if I was staying at your camp in Maine!

tw - glad the fly fishing went so well you're going again next week!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Light day in here today. I hear Marj and Henry had a good meet up with LaT, Pro and Hally. Wish I could've been there!

Carolyn, I was wondering the same thing about tomwhite....

Took today off work, but keeping true to the running every-other-day thing, I did the elliptical for 3 miles at some pretty high resistance intervals today, took just a hair over 25 minutes. Have a trail 5k tomorrow so need to be ready for hilly muddy trails. I do hope to do a somewhat longish run on Sunday though, so we'll see how that goes.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Jay - nice racing!

TomWhite - but did you have fun?

Enke - I'm with you on the wood paneling...

I did not run on Friday, but did about 35 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."