Masters Running

Monday twelve-twelve-sixteen daily (Read 26 times)

Another non-running start to the thread. The snowstorm was not really as bad as expected, but I still had to clear the driveway of 6 or 8 inches or so to get the car out.

I was planning on doing the TM thing this morning, but my DW talked me into snowshoeing instead. We're having lunch in a few minutes and then drive out to a nearby trailhead. It's getting colder and windier by the hour as we head for single-digit lows in a couple of days (temperatures that Erika would be running in shorts at this time of year!).

So where is everybody else today?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, Doug.  Well, not digging out around NE, anyway.  Not sure how much actual snow we had, but it was about an inch of slush by the time I left for work.  Some evidence that it had gotten slippery overnight--a few sets of tire tracks in the median, a pickup up against the guardrail facing at me (but no one around).  And in a somewhat ironic setting, a semi in the ditch mashed up against one of the flashing road signs that said WINTER STORM CLEARING SLOW TRUCKS.

and technically another non-run.  did 2 lake 5Ks on Saturday and Sunday.  Got out a little more of the heavy winter gear as both days were 19°F at the start.  Actually got a little warm on Sunday as it was up to 26° at the end.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

I ran today. 4 miles. 48 & light rain at the start but it stopped a few minutes into the run. I was lucky I didn't get up when I planned because I would have to either wait for the rain to stop or break the rules and run in the rain.

The season has me in a funk. I am tired of Christmas music and all the special activities.  This week I have 2 Christmas lunch parties (IT department, company wide) and the condo Christmas dinner.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I ran today. 4 miles. 48 & light rain at the start but it stopped a few minutes into the run. I was lucky I didn't get up when I planned because I would have to either wait for the rain to stop or break the rules and run in the rain.

The season has me in a funk. I am tired of Christmas music and all the special activities.  This week I have 2 Christmas lunch parties (IT department, company wide) and the condo Christmas dinner.

wouldn't be because it's been going on since before Halloween, would it?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

wouldn't be because it's been going on since before Halloween, would it?

No doubt.  My DS works in the mall and said Christmas decorations were up in October in some stores.

No run for me, either, just swimming - 40 lengths(20 laps).  I still rest in between for a few seconds, but it may finally be getting easier.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Howdy Do ~

So happy to see Posie back.  Warm vs. Cold -  Tough choice, my friend.  Tough choice.  But sleeping in your own bed sure is nice.

MikeE - I just read your post about Eric.  *sigh*  Will keep you in my prayers.  It reminds me of all the stuff my parents went through with my brother for years.

Holly - I'm salary, not hourly.  BUT - all the overtime I work, I can opt to have it paid to me or accumulate it as comp time.  I have chosen comp time because so much comes out in taxes if paid in overtime. There's no limit (so far) on how much comp time we can accumulate or a deadline by which it has to be used.  Right now I have almost 3 months of comp time built up, plus I get 3 weeks of vacation each year.  This helps with all the traveling I do to get to races, while still having time for The Hub and me to go on vacation if we choose.  And I did get a raise at the beginning of all this, which did not negate the raise we get at the end of each year.

I think I over did it a bit over the weekend and my right hammy is barking at me.  I'm sitting on an ice pack while I type this.    Hope it goes away soon, but will defer running until I can walk with comfort.

This week starts the "Week of Gluttony" at work.  People sign up to bring food in all week.  With The Hub doing most of the baking, I brought in a bunt cake and chocolate chocolate chip cookies.  Someone brought in cranberry-coconut-something-or-other cookies  Lordy, I fear my waistline is going to suffer!

Have a great week, friends ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - I don't understand. If you are salary, how can you have overtime?  At my job, salary means that, no matter how many hours over 40 I work, the paycheck is exactly the same.  However, if I am going to be gone from work for more than one hour in a day, I have to use my PTO.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Cold, slushy morning here - I opted to sleep in until 8am!! Went to a 9am spin class for 40 minutes, then 2.2 miles on the treadmill and 10 minutes on the new stairmaster/step mill (took me almost that long to figure out how to use the thing as well)

Happy trails!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

4 more miles, tonight.

We have been busy putting our Christmas cards together.  Writing the thing has become the easy part.  Debbie and I actually get into arguments about who gets one and who doesn't.  We are sending out 400!  It's really pretty ridiculous.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

0.5 miles (+7o)

Happy Thirteen Days of Christmas

Another long-time vow bites the dust, this time as 40 years of running without ever wearing tights not even in the snowstorm at the 2006 SM Boomer reunion until walking GS to school this morning at +7o and being so cold I ran all the way back. all the while trying to figure out they do it up in erika-land where +7o is warm for this time of the year. Afteroon sledding on the same hill I learned to ski more than sixty years ago still cold but much more agreeable, except too bad the sun set at 3:05 p.m.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)