Masters Running

OptOutside Fridaily 11/26 (Read 35 times)

dnaff

Happy Birthday bioguy, 50 miles, thanksgiving, and a birthday all in short order!  Please rest well from the festivities.

Erika, you sure put my weather into perspective.  20 degrees and sunshine is my sweet spot - below that I become a bag full of complaints.

I had to run by the food pantry today (we're closed) and collect the mail. - some important stuff I've been waiting on.  Then I went by a cute little gift shop and picked up a Christmas ornament for an exchange next weekend.  That's the extent of my Black Friday shopping.  There were more important things to do like visit the dog park and then home for some yoga and PT exercises.  My husband got out for a run but I'm laying low on that and concentrating on the pt stuff for maybe another month.

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy bday, bioguy!

Erika, that's freaking COLD!   I don't know how you do it.  It sometimes gets below zero here, but not very often!  Today it was in the 40s and I wore shorts on my run.  I also had a long sleeved shirt, jacket, and gloves, because of the wind, but hey, at least it was nice to wear shorts!  6 miles around the dirt roads here.

Karen, that's quite a streak.  What are your rules?  Do you have a minimum distance each day?  Does a certain amount have to be running or are walk breaks okay?  I have a friend who's up to six years running every day - his rules include at least one mile outside in shorts!  I've run with him in the winter, and he'll run a mile in shorts and then put pants on if it's really cold and/or snowy!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I got my Covid booster shot, today... so I plan on being sick, tomorrow... even though I wasn't sick after either of the other shots.  If I'm not sick, the day will be sent putting up Christmas decorations.  I would say that being sick is the better alternative but all that would do is delay the decorating so I'd rather just get it over with.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I got in 8 miles, today.  At the beginning of the year, I set my sights on 2500 miles for the year... then I had to take 2 months off because of my shin.  Now, I'll be happy to just reach 2000.  After my 8 miles, today, I am 26.2 miles from catching the pace bunny.  I thought that was a cool number.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, got in a walk with DW, DS#2 and their pups.  To get to this weekend's Garmin challenge (one of them anyway) is a 3 mile walk so went on my own to get to that.  Later I went for an easy 7.5 mile run.  Cool day (for us).  No bike ride but I have gotten DW some cold weather gear for her ebike rides.  Maybe tomorrow.  Did bring up my Klein so may try and mountain bike with DS#2.

Roch, I like his setup.  Several years after dad had passed away mom gave the balsa wood models he'd made (some I had helped him with) to one of my sisters.  It included a Sopwith Camel and Fokker Dr.1 Triplane.  Together we usually did WWII aircraft (P-47, P-51, Spitfire, Fw-190, etc).

Have a greta night everyone!

I think the "official" (such as it is) streak rule is one mile of straight running a day.  I don't have personal rules except for that.  I don't think I have had any one mile days in this streak.  I can't really do that and keep my mileage at the level I want it.  I'm good with treadmill or outside miles.  Running in place should not count, in my opinion.  Some people have asked about that when they were going to be in scary places or on ships.  Running up and down a hallway- yes.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

moebo

Happy birthday Bioguy!

KSA, that's an impressive streak. I tried a running streak a few years ago and ended up with an injury pretty quickly. Sadly, I have had to come to terms with the fact that I am biomechanically challenged.

Thanksgiving wend well. Started off with a beautiful pre-sunrise walk to the shore with my SO. I had planned to run but he asked if he could come along, so I adjusted my plans. He still thinks I only ever walk...

Today I got out for 6.5, including a 10 K record without trying, Love when that happens!

evanflein

Today I got out for 6.5, including a 10 K record without trying, Love when that happens!

It is fun when that happens! I got a "fastest mile" last year coming down the big hill behind our house. It wasn't really my fastest mile ever, I'm sure, but apparently the fastest that this Garmin knew about.

I did get out for 7.2 hilly miles running in tire tracks whenever I could. It seems like we used to get a good 5 to 8" of snow in a dump, then it would clear up, get cold and we'd plow the snow or pack it down and footing would be really good. Lately it seems like we're getting 1/2" to 2" almost daily, not enough to plow but it does build up. Now it's kind of deep in spots, rutty and uneven and feels like running in cornstarch where it's loose. Annoying as all get out. I saw the bike path near town got plowed yesterday but now there's new snow on it and it's colder down there anyway. Temp here is around -7° but the RA log put it at -12°. I'm not sure where the RA log gets the temp, but it doesn't always match what I get from my thermometer or my phone weather app.

Quickadder

Our Thanksgiving guests (DS#2 and family) left early afternoon and after enjoying the peace and quiet for a while I got out for a late afternoon run of 5.9 miles before dark.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Today was Day 600 of my stupid running streak.   

KSA - I’m speechless to know someone who can do that, . . . and 1045 days too.

Falcon - maybe 20 or 30 years from now the way you are running but I’m speechless that you would be interested enough in a 3-mile walk to do it, especially on your own.

BTY - I’d be speechless about your swimming too but, like Jay's j-o'clocks, I'm almost used to it.  However, I’m wondering what is the shortest distance and time, no matter how many different strokes you use, you have ever gone swimming and gotten in the water and out? My summer lakeside dips to cool down after the morning runs I like over there are usually hardly even equal to the 25 yard buoy line off the beach marking the length of the swimming area.

Holly, no problem with DH thinking he's doing it all. 

Holly - for sure.

I bet he's really happy he can.

Doug, that's really cool.

Doug - for sure.

The crazy comment too.

I got my Covid booster shot, today... so I plan on being sick, tomorrow...

. . .

If I'm not sick, the day will be sent putting up Christmas decorations..

MikeE - especially since you have to do it anyway, better do it tomorrow or everybody who's gotten the booster will call you a wimp. It's gotta be easier than doing your annual fantastic Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. poetic ballad letters.

ps - bad timing for you as Holly deserves a sick day; you don't. Smile

. . . at least one mile outside in shorts!  I've run with him in the winter, and he'll run a mile in shorts and then put pants on if it's really cold and/or snowy!

Wildchild - that's weird but I kind of like it as I only run in shorts too and have never run in tights but, if it's below freezing, except for once in 2003 at the Christmas Marathon Econo, I don't run when it's cold. Even erika will stick to the TM and not try to run at least a mile outside when it gets too cold, . . . 50 below, is it?

So it was a busy, but still a and joyful day.Now I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow which, of course, you know that I won't.

I didn't sleep all that well last night, and got up a few minutes earlier than usual this morning. So . . . went along, and finished with just a scootch over 8 RW miles.

Jay - that's weird too but, since it's you, it's not.

Murray - since I hadn’t seen it mentioned anywhere else, thanks to your mention of having the perimeter of the local ice hockey rink to run up there in case the of bad weather but, I did a Google of the local holiday ice rink that wasn’t even put up last year and, voila!, for vaccinateds and masking, it’s business as usual this year so I went over to a test spin but, with no physical distancing, though I had a mask, the two year absence had me breathing pretty hard and heavily so I decided to go back sometime with the double protection a clear full face mask too. Thanks.

May be an image of 2 people and people standing

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MurrayM

Hi Tet,

One hockey rink here in town has an area behind the highest row of seats that's about 15' wide...that's where I plan to do my running. There are about 20 rows of seats, so maybe I'll toss in some bleacher laps to keep my thighs hill worthy.

I used to play hockey big time, but haven't laced 'em up in years.

BTY

BTY - .....I’m wondering what is the shortest distance and time, no matter how many different strokes you use, you have ever gone swimming and gotten in the water and out? My summer lakeside dips to cool down after the morning runs I like over there are usually hardly even equal to the 25 yard buoy line off the beach marking the length of the swimming area.

Tet - your questions are often thought-provoking and log-review provoking.  Since I live in an area without easy access to a recreational swimming area and beach, and no pool in my backyard, I think every swim I've done in the past three+ years since I started swimming again after many years of layoff has been in a 25-yard pool, and is in my RA log.   I would have guessed before looking at the log that my shortest swims were back in September of 2018 but those first few workouts were all about 30 minutes long, swimming 900 yards, 150 yards at a time.  But then I graphed my swims and I found a workout prior to an upcoming meet, and it was only about 200 yards.   Technically the shortest time in the pool was in January 2020 in a 25-yard Butterfly race - 15.03 seconds.

Skimming through the log is a very valuable exercise in itself.   I'm reminded that I hardly do any Individual Medley repeats anymore, which is most notable since I got DQ'ed in the 100-yard IM at the Empire State Senior Games, then scratched in the 200, back in June.  That used to be the meat and potatoes of many of my workouts, doing 10x100 yard or 5 x 200 yard IM repeats.   I'd say that once I started using the pull buoy in my workouts (started out as 300 yards of each - breaststroke, backstroke and freestyle and is now pretty consistently >600 yards of each) that has completely taken the place of IM repeats, and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.   I probably should strongly consider leaving the pull buoy in the poolside bag on alternating days and start doing the IM training again.   Isn't that the cool thing about swimming - there's always something to add more variety to your regimen.