Masters Running

Fridaily 4.19.19 (Read 46 times)

anneb

Hello, masters. TGIF!

Our office is closed today, so I took advantage, ran mid morning, had chipotle with the H, went to the bookstore (picked up Deena Kastor’s book which I’ve been wanting to read) and then got a manicure. So all in all not a bad day Smile

BUT it’s really cold and super windy today which is getting old! Temps in low-40’s and sustained winds around 30mph. I actually hate wind more than rain! So my 6 miles was less than enjoyable but at least I did it. Looks to be more of the same tomorrow, at least for the first part of the day.

Anne

you'd think I'd learn to stop skimming so quickly and read more thoroughly. Had to do a double take for it to sink in that the yelling and screaming was from Bonkos  

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dnaff

A Joe, Marj, and Henry meet up - sounds like a good time.

Norm, sorry about your pup.

Leslie, congrats to you and your hub - sounds as if you've been through a lot.  Remember, the best is yet to be!

2cat - 7 miles!  congrats!!

Anneb - you are more determined than I'll ever be.  I have the same cold and wind and just said forget it.  I walked the dog and had to use her to tether myself to the earth.  If I'd have run I'd have blown away.

So yardwork instead.  I mowed the yard, first time for the season, but wore my winter coat.  Grr.   And dug dandelions - still in a winter coat.  My daughter tells me to quit complaining and just face the fact that the wind will never quit and the temps will never rise.

Dave59

Dave59 what is compartment syndrome?

It is a swelling up in a part of your body (compartment) that is restricted so the swelling has no where to go. It cuts off blood supply and starts killing tissue.

I am not 100% sure that is what I had. My doctor and the podiatrist had first said it was very bad and infected blister. They pumped me full of  antibiotics with an IV, worried about the infection. They actually put me completely under anesthesia for the surgery. But when the podiatrist cut into my "blister", instead of what ever he expected to happen, fluid did not come shooting out. Instead, my blackened foot started regaining color almost instantly.  Afterwards, the podiatrist said he had never seen that in 25 years, but was pretty sure it was compartment syndrome.  It is something you normally see in an arm or a leg from a gunshot wound. It was definitely not an infected blister.

The pain was the worse I've ever had in my life. The race was Saturday and I didn't get into the doctor until Monday afternoon. It was a tough stretch.

I was getting a blister during the 20k and I think I did the damage by running on the side of my foot because of the pain from the blister. It was also July 4th, hot and humid as heck, and I was sick from that after the race too. All in all, not a day to remember.

And it was the shoes' fault.   (Or is it "shoe's", singular since it was just one foot?)

Joe618

Afternoon all!

Had a terrific meetup with Marj and Henry, finding so much to talk about.  Have a really good photo but it'll be Sunday before I can post.  Such a good looking bunch, it's well worth the wait.

Walked well over 6 miles again today in Boston.  We've enjoyed the city so very much.  Hope to run tomorrow morning along the Charles River before we fly home midafternoon. 

Hope you all have a good weekend!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

evanflein

Looking forward to the pictures of Joe, Henrun and Marj! Joe is certainly doing that Boston vacation thing right.

Compartment syndrome... I think Carpal Tunnel is a form of that. I hadn't heard of it cutting off all blood supply like that, but does put pressure on nerves. And I guess it would be "shoe's" if only one shoe was at fault.

Sorry about mowing the lawn in your winter coat, dnaff. That's just not right. If you're going to do yard work in a winter coat it should be shoveling snow. Which, unfortunately, we're needing to do. I'm in Anchorage today, and got up this morning thinking I could run outside but found there's like 4" of wet, slushy snow and wind out there. Nope, not happening. And the only treadmill in my miserable hotel was broken, so I just went back to bed for another hour. Then had to brush/scrape/wipe all that crap off the car before I could go. So, done now and heading home with another "hole" in my running week. Oh well.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I got home from Bonkos too late last night and couldn't drag myself out of bed.  Things were more rambunctious last night with a lot of screaming and yelling.  Cripes, we had a good time!

you'd think I'd learn to stop skimming so quickly and read more thoroughly. Had to do a double take for it to sink in that the yelling and screaming was from Bonkos  .

whew, with all the well-deserved celebrating that's going on down there in the redwoods, I just assumed it was a pet name too.  Actually, I still do.

Sometimes, hockey can be very frustrating to watch. That's all I'm going to say about that. 

Tramps - with the ice hockey rink for the new expansion team Seattle was supposed to be getting next year now on a year delay and $350,000,000 cost overruns, you're going to have to do better than that to get any of us PNW'ers interested.

Since people have been mentioning wellness programs...I noticed that one study found little benefit for either workers or employers. Just one study, blah, blah, blah; make of it what you will.

Count me amongst those who would really take advantage of as much incentive as possible, especially Dav'e $500 bonus plan.

I signed up for President Kennedy's Fitness Council in those days just to get a patch (that's still in one of the many boxes in the garage I've promised DW won't be there at the end of the summer, . . . or at least by the end of year. . . . . . . .  I guess I've been saving it in case I ever got in the JFK 50-mile race and throwing it away would mean I've given up hope of doing the JFk, which, actually, I have.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

an amazing likeness

Easy 4.2mi jog tonight to close the day. Just logging some miles. I try to run on every road in town each year...so picked one nearby to check off the list and headed that a-way tonight.

I'm considering running a small 10mi race in the morning, so didn't want to put any work in the legs. I expect to not to head to the race, given weather reports calling for solid rain; will decide in the morning by glancing out the window with one eye, then reading Coastwalker's morning report to see what he dealt with -- the race is a bit north of him.

Joe...it's been a thrill to read all your Boston tales, love the pics. Amazing stuff. I've taken a few whacks at qualifying, but never could do it.

Twocat...just great news to read your tales of healing. That's some serious comeback goodness, impressive.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I just popped in to post my run of 8 miles...

...and to say the we went to a beautiful Good Friday service, tonight.

Okay--that's really all the energy I have left...this dang cold better be gone tomorrow!  See ya!

Exhausted ......another crazy busy day on the labor floor ...... no breaks until 4pm, covering more patients than we safely should be yet some Senator seems to think we are sitting around playing cards 

Walked 1.1 miles from garage to the hospital and back at the end of the day!!

denise

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, long day.  Got up early to substitute teach the 0515 spin class.  2 down....about 10 or so to go!  Worked most of the day (more ridiculous drama....have to remind myself we're supposed to be a military organization) then drove home in the rain for Easter weekend.  Got here early enough to break rule 1 (and get my steps in) for 4.5 miles.  Cold (for us in April), mid 40s (??!!) with the rain and significant wind.  I loved it.  After that got ready for Good Friday services (technically Catholics don't have a Mass on Good Friday).  I was the "voice" during the Passion Gospel Reading.  Historically I've been the narrator but we have a deacon now so he takes on that role.

Getting late and on the east coast it's almost Saturday so....

Have a greta night everyone!

Mariposai

I did my first 7 mile run post surgery! Mile splits were pretty decent. Overall not bad.

This makes me so happy! Before you know it he will be racing again.

As for me, yet another week of no running at all. Knee is behaving, work load is not. Looking forward to a few miles tomorrow and Sunday. I got to find a new schedule during the week where I can fit in even a half hour run in between my 10, 12 to at times 14 hour  work days. Se la vi. This also shall pass and then I can run to my heart content again.

Enjoy your weekend!!!!

Posie.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard